Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Best Make Do Repair EVER

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BJR, Nov 14, 2020.

1. Budget36

Budget36

Cans and hose clamps. Good old times. I even put mine over that asbestos wrap stuff, had to make it better, right?

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  2. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Properly done, the old can-on-an-exhaust-pipe trick could last for a couple years before the can itself rusted out. :)

olscrounger and Boneyard51 like this.
  3. cfmvw

cfmvw

UPS driver had his exhaust system dragging on the ground when he delivered a package to a place I used to work at. I fixed him up in short order by fashioning some new exhaust hangers I made out of wire coat hangers and duct tape - the next best thing to bubble gum and bailing wire!

hotrodjack33 and Boneyard51 like this.
  4. topher5150

topher5150

Saw this in the junkyard toe rope and zip tie, tie rod ends. IMG_20200731_101925036.jpeg

Sent from my moto z4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Boneyard51, williebill and VANDENPLAS like this.
  5. Got an old can clamped to an exhaust pipe hole on my 48 coupe right now..been there for about a year. right front quarter photo.jpg

6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Waiting for something like this to show up, told this one before.
    In the mid 70's I had a 65 El Camino that I took fishing, had an idler arm seperate when driving on a mountainous gravel road, luckily, I got it slowed down immediately after the steering wheel started shaking.
    Had absolutely nothing with me to bandaid it together...........except a steel fish stringer.
    This was the kind with the big bobby pin latch wire, crawled under the car and wrapped it around the joint and in five minutes I had it fixed good enough to finish the sixty mile trip back home, it worked great.

7. grumpy65

grumpy65

This certainly proves the old adage...............................
    "There's a fine line between genius and insanity" - Oscar Levant

Joe Blow and VANDENPLAS like this.
  8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say that that screwed on patch on that exhaust pipe was far more due to not having access to a welding torch than anything else. Guys are pretty spoiled now because just about everyone has a little mig welder of some sort and a torch in the garage and welding up an exhaust pipe isn't an issue but in the 40's or 50's most guys had to go pay someone to do the welding. Same as the tin can and clamps exhaust repairs that a lot of us did back years ago. We didn't have anything else to do it with so that's the way we did it.

J.Ukrop likes this.
  9. exhaust_4a.jpg
    This image of routing a header around the steering column was on here a while back I believe.

Truck64, Lepus, High test 63 and 5 others like this.
  10. grumpy65

grumpy65

^^^ So far outside the box you can't even see the box from there.........................:eek::eek::eek:

11. Years ago, Dad and I used Bondo to fix a tube on Mom’s vacuum cleaner. Worked fine until she got mad at it for some other reason and literally pitched the whole thing out of the front door.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

On my OT beater I had an O2 sensor go bad in the exhaust. When removing it, the threads in the bung stripped completely out. Not able to put a new one or even screw in a plug, I needed an easy way to cap the hole. I could have taken the time to make a patch, but I had a quarter in my pocket, and a hose clamp on the bench. I used that quarter to cover the hole for at least 15 years.

Lepus, 61Cruiser, Tman and 4 others like this.
  13. grumpy65

grumpy65

Dad or the vacuum cleaner ?????????????

14. scrappybunch

scrappybunch
    from nj

It's only temporary, unless it works.

Truck64, Cosmo49, Baumi and 5 others like this.
  15. On one of my O/T be bugs I used an axle out of a wheel off one of my bmx bikes to connect the duel carb linkage and clamped the bell crank to it for the throttle cable.
    was supposed to be a quick fix to get me running until parts showed up.
    It worked great and so it stayed as a permanent part of the car!

16. The Vacuum! She also pitched an iron out of the front door that screwed up.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

williebill, VANDENPLAS and grumpy65 like this.
  17. Missus Beaner and me had an old Merc when we were in high school (a 430 car). We had the top tank on the rad separate when we were about 70 miles from home. Rolled into a rest area and looked at it and she said, "can we just put water in it and loosen the cap?" I said we really need to fill the crack with something. While I was thinking she went to the john and came back with the window glazing compound from one of the windows. We stuffed the crack with the glazing crap and loosened the cap and it made it home just fine.

Truck64, Lepus, 61Cruiser and 11 others like this.
  18. grumpy65

grumpy65

Jeez Beaner, you had us worried for a minute there. :eek:;)

19. 66gmc

66gmc

I replaced the leaky rad in my daily driver a couple years ago with a generic aftermarket unit from the parts store. It had an extra heater hose outlet, but it came with a rubber plug and hose clamp to block it off. About a week later on the way home from work the rubber plug disintegrated. I needed to get to work the next day, so I wasted an hour looking through the garage for some sort of plug...the only thing that was the right diameter was an old model A drag link, so I cut the end off, shortened it up, jammed it in the hole and sealed it up with a chunk of heater hose and a bunch of hose clamps...2 years later its still holding up fine.

J.Ukrop and hotrodjack33 like this.
  20. goldmountain

goldmountain

My buddy Bill bought an old Ford truck with a 4 speed with granny low gear. The kid he bought it from decided to fix it up by shortening the gearshift lever. Made it hard to get enough leverage to shift well so we got a long 3/8" bolt and held it on with two hose clamps. Worked great - we did have a welder but wanted a hokey looking repair. At least we put a nice gearshift knob on it.

hotrodjack33 and alanp561 like this.
  21. atch

atch

...just one more of the many reasons I really like her...

22. LOL She pretends dumb, yea dumb like a fox.

She is always the one to remember if I crossed the 5 and 7 wire too. :oops::D:D:D

61Cruiser, pitman and hotrodjack33 like this.
  23. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I guess one of my best on the road repairs happen many years ago when I was starting out working at the city garage. I caught a “ truck quit” service call close to quitting time. Drove across town and popped the hood on that 1951 Ford winch truck, found a no spark problem. Traced it to the rotor bug, the springy thingy had broken off. Well I didn’t have time to get to a parts house and back before quitting time and the driver was getting real nervous! Lol So I looked around on the street and found a piece of wire and with my pliers fashioned it onto the brass contacted that was still hooked to the rotor and cut it off at about the right height, put it back together, it ran like a champ!
    The next day it was all over the the street department that that new kid in the shop fixed a truck with junk off the street! Lol

Bones

Truck64, 302GMC, Jim Bouchard and 7 others like this.
  24. Lets see the Cord please.

25. BJR

BJR

I can't post any pictures of the cars at work or I will get fired. Sorry.

26. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

I'm sure I wasn't the first to do this fix but in 1954 my first car, a '47 Plymouth lost a cotter on the shift linkage. I stopped a bunch of girls that were walking by (that wouldn't happen today ) and borrowed a bobby pin (that also wouldnt be found today ) repaired the linkage offered the gals a ride and happily went away.

61Cruiser likes this.
  27. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

When I was driving up to Kamloops to pick up my girlfriend with my brother it started to rain hard. We were driving through some road construction in Manning Park so the windshield was being covered with dust and rain...mud. Then the wipers quit. We had to get to Kamloops on time so I took out my shoes laces and tied one to the left wiper arm and one to the right. I'd pull to the left and my brother would pull to the right. Worked quite well until the repair was made.

61Cruiser likes this.
  28. ken bogren

ken bogren

It's OK, "Make do" is traditional !

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  29. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back in the 70s, on the drive home from a drunken night in the next town over, I lost the headlights in my 51 Ford convertible...with still 20 miles to get home. :eek:
    I unplugged one headlight, took some aluminum foil from my cigarette pack, stuck it in the plug with some sticking out and plugged the headlight back in. I then broke off my antenna, electrical taped one end to the aluminum foil and taped the other end to lay across positive battery terminal. And, made it home with lights.:D

The next day I found it was a fried headlight switch and realized that if I had just taken 2 wires off the switch and twisted them together, I wouldn't be buying a new antenna:(...did I mention I was drunk at the time?:p

57Custom300 and 61Cruiser like this.
  30. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Easily one of the funniest and saddest threads in H.A.M.B. history. You have a link?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.