Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Well, that didn't Work...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Nov 10, 2020.

1. The Fish carburetor
    upload_2020-11-11_14-36-30.png

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    loudbang and 31hotrodguy like this.
  2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

why wouldn't that work? that's how I charge my phone.

3. wsdad

wsdad

I wonder if you were supposed to plug it onto the cigarette lighter of another car. Still a bad idea if the first car had a slow drain. In the morning, both batteries would be dead.
    Sent from my SM-G981U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Boneyard51 and cfmvw like this.
  4. As far as I remember the Fish carburetor was never advertised as a 100 MPG carb, it just worked on a different principle. The 100 MPG carburetor was the Pogue.

Mick

FishFry, j-jock and loudbang like this.
  5. download.jpg
    This one was marketed by a racing driver- he was good, but didn't win because of this.

That wasn't a gag, that one actually works!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    loudbang and 49ratfink like this.
  6. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Bama,they actually sold a gizmo like that! Back in the seventies some slick salesman so,d the chief of police of Muskogee on the idea! I had to mount them in the police cars trunk.They were real heavy, maybe eighty lbs or so. The instructions said to mount it as low as possible! I had to mount, remove and remount those stupid hunks of metal several times! Lol

Bones

31hotrodguy, Driver50x and loudbang like this.
  7. I always liked "Rebuild in a can" sold by J.C. Whitney... You just added it to your oil in your worn out engine, and it would fix bad bearings, re-seat valves, you name it...

8. You are correct

loudbang likes this.
  9. Just found the "Educated Nut" in New Products in the Oct 52 Hop Up. I didn't take a picture of the first few lines on the previous page.

Check out the editor's note. PXL_20201112_024129693~3.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Hot Rod, July 1955

Why isn't everything running these nowadays? PXL_20201112_030326497~2.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

31hotrodguy, Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Well, maybe my old buddy was telling the truth for once! I never knew whether to believe him or not, he could tell some whoppers and have you believing him.

Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  12. I have an engineering degree and my wife calls me an educated nut.

13. Sad thing is that this public ignorance of basic science allows the hucksters to promote hydrogen and electric powered cars as being practical and anthropogenic global warming hoax. These are not just a way to get a few dollars from poor fools, they threaten society.

Start your stop watch. Taking bets for how long it takes for Moriarity to nuke this post!!!

egads, 31hotrodguy, Driver50x and 2 others like this.
  14. Departed

Departed
    from Canada

Can you use a 8BA intake manifold on a 59A ?

Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  15. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I saw a gizmo that you could plug into your cigarette lighter and then into another car’s cigarette lighter to charge a dead battery on the second car. It stated that you couldn’t “ jump” the car with it, but could charge it enough in 15 minutes for the second car to start. If you are patient, it would work.

Bones

16. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

I bet there was a guy at every swap meet with a running engine with the oil pan off touting some kind of engine lube. Roller lifters in bushed bores, and all the bearings replaced with oilite shells

Driver50x and Boneyard51 like this.
  17. 54chevkiwi

54chevkiwi

they clearly didnt use charmin.
    That stuff keeps your engine as clean as your charmin clean hiney.

“my engines clean! Its charmin hiney clean!” And so forth

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
    Boneyard51 likes this.
  18. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I saw one of those engines. It was an old stove bolt Chevy. He claimed it had been running x number of days with the pan off! But what impressed me was..... how slow he had that engine running! I swear that thing was idling at 100 rpm! Lol

Bones

31hotrodguy likes this.
  19. I had one of those i removed from a 1955 jeep project a few years ago. Put it on ebay just to get rid of it. Got way too much money for something i considered throwing in the scrap pile

Boneyard51 likes this.
  20. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

The theory on those toilet paper filters is sound. They are just like theLuber-finer filters on big diesel truck. The problem with using the toilet paper roll for the element, is that some of the paper can come off and get it places and clogg up stuff. This filter is built just like the GM filter that Chevrolet hung on the intake manifold of the old six cylinder stove bolt engines. The difference is that Chevy used a filter type element instead of a roll of toilet paper.

Bones

Oldb and 31hotrodguy like this.
  21. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

Maybe if they were jumping like the Duke boys, it may have helped keep the ass down going over RR humps and the like.
    It is possible that the idea was it acted as a damper of sorts, which would make the car a bit harder to get the tail to wag the dog. There may have been some merrit to it. It could change the CG a bit. That is if the tube itself was only partially filled which allowed the Mercury to move. However if it was filled with no airspace it became a different device.
    If it was solid adding weight lower and to the rear behind the rear wheels can aid in turning the vehicle to counteract the heavy nose. It does make the vehicle heavier, but it could make the steering a bit easier and get the car to rotate better around tight turns.

Funny thing is GM did something similar in the 70's/80's.
    If you had a sport model of a midsize there would be AL parts installed on the car, hood, bumpers, decklids, radiator support, drums, etc etc.
    There didn't seem to be a rhyme/reason to it, AFAIK the SPID sticker didn't have any mention of these parts. Usual response was 'CAFE' was the reason, lighter car, better MPGs.
    However the sporty models lost all the weight(light makes might in the smog era). But even the po-dunk models received random AL bits that seemed to make no sense.
    Greatest thing was the Bumpers, remove a heavy steel bumper for AL and the car could turn better due to polar moment. Even that hood would reduce roll quite a bit on those boxes.

So there is something to it, just probably not what actually specified(or understood) by the hucksters.
    Would be better to remove or relocate weight rather than add weight. But with limited options on modifying an already heavy vehicle(without compromising safety/reliability) adding weight in the right places can improve certain characteristics at the cost of others(mileage/tire wear/stopping)

Boneyard51 and 31hotrodguy like this.
  22. I inherited the Franz setup that was on a truck I bought years ago. I have it stored here somewhere. I also have a cotton waste bypass filter that also has an electric heater installed as part of the unit. I can't remember the name, it has never been used.
    Back in the 50s, there was also a lifetime bypass filter that had a bronze element. I remember a truck driving around town with the filter mounted in front of the grill.

When Franz filters were popular, toilette paper rolls were solid compared to the fluffy pieces of rolled crapolla that we buy now. The amount of paper on one roll, would probably be the equivalent of 6 of the rolls a person buys today. The toilette paper roll had to be replaced every two months, and because the filter was mounted with the base plate down, it could be a messy process. If the change interval was longer than about two months, the oil would eventually work passages through the filtering media, (channelling), allowing the dirty oil a passage through back to the crankcase.
    Bypass filters can have a place, however. I had a Toyota Diesel, on which I installed an Amsoil Bypass filter. At what would have been the normal oil change interval, I would pull a sample of oil for a spectromatic oil analysis.
    I drove the truck for over 30,000 miles of stop and go driving, before an oil, and filter change was finally recommended.
    I would never even think of using the best quality bypass filter on a vehicle that didn't travel a lot of miles in a year, it wouldn't be worth the cost of the filter.
    Bob

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
    Boneyard51 likes this.
  23. Yep, I have used them, and they do allow a more precise adjustment.
    Bob

31hotrodguy and Boneyard51 like this.
  24. jaracer

jaracer

I found one of those on my 58 Impala. It wasn't filled with mercury, but it had a weight centered between two springs. It was supposed to be a sway stabilizer. I didn't notice any difference when I removed it.

Boneyard51 and 31hotrodguy like this.
  25. dwollam

dwollam

My Avatar has a Franz filter on it that has been on there since 1958. They USED to use toilet paper but can't anymore because all modern toilet paper is biodegradable. Any moisture at all will make it come apart. Way back when that wasn't the case. They are still in business and one can order new special "toilet paper" filters from them. The original builder of this car is a big fan of them and has one on his off topic Datzun Z car. Me? I just leave it on the flathead cuz that's the way Gordon built the car!

Dave

FishFry and j-jock like this.
  26. Lepus

Lepus

057.JPG I have a couple, the one out of the box is a Milemaster pressure regulator.It looks like it does the same thing as the Injecta-flo.

27. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

That’s the kind we put in the police cars. It was supposed to move the weight to the right, when you turned left and visa-versa! Not sure it did anything, but make the car heavier! Lol

Bones