Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Anyone use those heaters that go on propane tanks?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Budget36, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Oilguy

Oilguy

I use a dual head Mr. Heater in conjunction with an old Earthstove. Once the stove heats up I shut the propane off. My shop floor is 2400 sq. ft. so I can only heat up the area where I do most of my work. I would never use the propane in my 2 car garage up at the house.

2. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

I would look for a used furnace from a mobile home or possibly a camper?.Propane is something you dont mess with,it is a great source of heat,but it is dangerous as well.They sell small units that will mount to the ceiling that are made for this type of application,might be the best money you will ever spend. Harvey

3. 31 Chopped Coupe

31 Chopped Coupe

I tried using one of these but it sweat so much that I quit using it. That propane flame puts out a lot of moisture.

4. Budget36

Budget36

Well heck, I got some reply’s that made me happy! Some reply’s that made me think hard, now if it were just one negative experience, or a “didn’t work worth a shit” reply, I might have went to HF today for a setup

Heck, I have enough wood left for this winter and have to get rid of it anyways. I do have a MH heater I can pull and make a cut out for it this spring and get ready for next year. Seems like the safest way to go

Thanks all

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  5. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I use one of the HF heaters that mount on the tank and it works extremely well. But only if it's the right distance from your work area. Too far away and it doesn't do much, and too close it can be uncomfortable. And of course don't bump it or suffer a good burn from the guard.
    I also have a pair of propane salamanders that are fan forced, and really pump out the heat at 60,000 btu's. But I have to shut them off occasionally because even one will quickly drive me out of the shop after about 10-15 minutes.

6. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

Good thread

Atwater Mike likes this.
  7. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Funny nobody's mentioned the bad. Take it from this retired Deputy Fire Chief that ANY,I say that again ANY un-vented Fuel burning heater is a death trap and any body that thinks otherwise is just poking the Grim Reaper in the face.
    A warm air furnace (new or used) properly vented is the best and most efficient way to heat your space, don't take chances. Ralphie

ottoman, rudestude, warbird1 and 2 others like this.
  8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use the smaller version occasionally
    upload_2020-11-12_11-12-4.png

9. billfunk29

billfunk29
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Part of the exhaust from a propane flame is water. That water will condense on whatever is coldest.

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is true of all hydrocarbon fuels.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  11. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Still waiting to hook up my natural gas radiant heater with vented intake as well as exhaust. I think I should be ok...thoughts?

12. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Electric resistance heaters are clean & the buy in is pretty cheap , less that $200 ea. , 2 -5000 watt heaters will give you 35000 btu. Should be enough for a typical 2 car garage that's well insulated...& they're safe !

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  13. gene-koning

gene-koning

When we first moved here, I used one of those natural gas radiant heaters in my 32' x 24' garage. One with the thermostat wasn't available at the time I bought mine, and mine didn't have a fan either. It provided enough heat to warm the garage up, but you had to shut it off and restart it all the time. If you were working right in front of it when it was running, it got warm, but if you were working near the floor on the other side of the garage, it was still pretty cool, even with the unit running. I should add that I worked in that garage 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. The worst part was coming into the cold garage every morning, then the next issue was the amount of moisture that was present all the time because the place wasn't heated over night. It took a lot longer to warm the place up every morning without the fan, but once it got going, it seemed OK unless it was a very windy day, the cold air drafts could overcome the heater since it had no fan. We moved in here at the end of Jan, and I used that heater the rest of that 1st winter. I bought an old mobile home furnace with a blower and a thermostat for the next few years. The mobile home furnace was a huge upgrade, even with only a short 90 bend as the duct work to direct the heat out into the garage.

After the mobile home furnace died, I bought a real hanging shop furnace. It was another huge upgrade from the mobile home furnace, but about every 3 years, it gets me for about $150 to repair something. Its been in the shop now for over 10 years, the auto setback thermostat (another great upgrade) is set at 60 over night and bumps up to 64 a 1/2 hour before I go to work, and drops back down a 1/2 hour after quitting time. I can override it whenever I need to be in the shop after hours or need the temp higher (for body work or painting). Gene

14. rudestude

rudestude

Thats because people that have used one of them type of heaters are "Dead".
    Several years back the wall mount natural gas heater went bad in my house ,so I let the owner of the house know about it....
    who happens to be my dad....a retired Lieutenant Firefighter after 30+ years...
    He installed one of them ventless fu*:"$&&&(> n heaters in the house, its a old house .
    It lasted about 2years something went out in it and couldn't find parts.
    So he bought a different one , a bit bigger than the last one.
    Its got 5 burner pads in it , had to install the fan , that didn't come with, our self and I don't use it because its either off ..on..off ....on or on all the time.
    Low is one burner
    Medium is 3 and high is all 5
    First cold night I turned it up on high and fell asleep, I sleep in a recliner in the front room and the unit is in the kitchen/dining room area, I finally woke up almost 2 full days later...finally got to my feet turned off the unit and grabbed my dog , I thought she was dead, carried her out side once she got some fresh air she came out of it, talked to my parents ,well the heater is still in the house , I just don't ever turn it on high and I usually shut it off at nite unless its really cold.
    After looking online and reading up on them I can't see how they can legally sell them.
    First thing it says in the manual is do not install in doors unless rooms are vented to the outside or you leave doors open or it could cause injury or death...
    They also put alot of water in the house you can't hardly see out the windows some times.
    I don't recommend getting one unless its vented to the outside.
    I'm glad I lived to tell about it..for now.

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

ottoman likes this.
  15. rudestude

rudestude

Forgot the picture....thats because of the bad brain cells it caused. 20201112_203501~2.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app