Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Wish they Still made Those...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Wish they Still made Those...

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Your post of that old hubcap Catalog, reminded me of a memory of my childhood. I like to go shooting at old dump grounds around my area, back then. Folks would throw Oem hub caps away, there, and I would pick them up. So I started collecting hub caps then and have continued some what to this day. I used the J C Whitney catalog to figure out what the hub cap fit! There was a manufacturer, back then that reproduced virtual every hubcap made! I still have , probably fifty/ sixty of those old hubcaps in a barn down on the ranch.

Bones

3. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. Sometimes I think about how much easier it would be if these parts were reproduced, but then I remember I maybe the only person who is building a 261 Chevy with an early Ford transmission, a Schiefer aluminum flywheel,and a Mag-Spark!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020

5. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

The tough part is getting your hands on one.

6. catdad49

catdad49

Good stuff, That's why they were referred to as "Wish" books!

7. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

No...... that’s the fun part! Lol

Bones

kadillackid and alanp561 like this.
  8. I have a pair of the aftermarket "Fiesta" hubcaps like advertised in that book. They are not identical to real Fiestas, but would fool the average person. I'll post a picture of them when I get home.

9. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

sometimes I think that if everybody could get the "cool rare stuff" it wouldn't be cool anymore.....

10. 2935ford

2935ford

Well I was lucky. I managed to find a fella who was parting out his fathers "stuff" and he had a set of real baby moon hubcaps. I had a set of not so nice but these were still in the box new Cal Custom. The best part.....they were very inexpensive.

alanp561 and Jungle Jalopy like this.
  11. sololobo

sololobo

My Dad received
    the Warshosky (spelling?) catalog which was identical to the J. C. Whitney but was their wholesale catalog for shops, dealers, etc. I bought a lot of stuff from them for the 33 Chevy in my avatar.

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Urzi's Auto Supply on 3rd Street in San Jose. My bud Bill Segal worked there in high school, after sch and on Saturdays.
    They had MORE magazine advertised merchandise than anyone, including MOR-DROP axles, ($10.95 exchange) Cal Custom, Eastern Auto, and a host of others.
    Belond 'Equa-Flow' system was hung on the wall, they had them IN STOCK for most makes & models.
    Hellings air cleaners, exchange Stromberg 94s & 97s, it was a walk-thru paradise of parts.
    Shopped there from 1955 to 1962, they had a top shop/upholstery shop adjoining, too. (Seat covers were 'ready made', they installed 'em.)

13. ross59

ross59

Warshosky is JC Whitney!

14. alanp561 likes this.
  15. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Warshawsky is the proper spelling.:)

16. flathead60

flathead60
    from NH

17. Those old parts have a soul that the new repops don't .
    I always wonder what life these parts had before I got my hands on them.

Was my Sharp Chev. 6 intake on the coolest car in the high school parking lot 1955 or was it on a dirt track car chewing up flatheads?

Why was the bottom of my Cyclone Chev 6/G.M.C. to early Ford transmission adaptor cut off? (I think it was to run a 10 1/2 clutch)
    Who cut it off ? Did it give them the edge at the strip?

I know the story on some of my parts. I bought Halibrand Champ Q.C. and Schroeder steering box from Russ Betz, A legendary north east NASCAR modified mechanic and car owner, and were used in one of his winning cars!

ebs121781 likes this.
  18. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This ad cracks me up today. A 12 port head on methanol is claiming 1hp per cubic in on a GMC. For your + .125” bored 302 would be 325hp and very doable.
    Folks building stock head GMC’s think this a walk in the park on gasoline. My 311” in a roadster pushing a 32 grille shell at Bonneville has been 171 and 159 at El Mirage and I would be very happy with 1 hp per inch and I’ve got parts that very few have or want to pay to have made. If you want cheap hp ....... get a supercharger; it’s a lot easier on your wallet.
    As for 12 port heads. They are out there and can be bought.

ebs121781 likes this.