Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Well, that didn't Work...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Well, that didn't Work...

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I have some of those!!!

E50CE042-0183-4544-B4FF-FA231079988A.jpeg 9DE90358-FBA0-434F-8205-11B7B69F53F0.jpeg AB08DE86-A9D0-4142-8AD4-2F60C09BBB5D.jpeg

3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Of course you do lol

4. ewj

ewj
    from Forida

My Favorite is the toilet paper oil filter

loudbang likes this.

5. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

But I read it on the internet...They must work!

juan motime and VANDENPLAS like this.
  6. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Recently, this guy came into the shop wearing a $3 suit seeking investors for his sliced bread invention. It was a laminated head gasket, but around the bore ID were 4 electrodes that connected to the ignition and would timed spark with the spark plug adding more fire power to the combustion and we all know that by doing that increases horsepower and fuel mileage.

loudbang and 31hotrodguy like this.
  7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

those actually work. they are an oil "cleaner". you still retain your oil filter.

8. TCTND

TCTND

If you're comfortable wiping your ass with an oil filter then cleaning your oil with toilet paper should be fine. All kidding aside, there's toilet paper and there's toilet paper. There are documented cases of engines being destroyed when the TP started shedding fibers and clogging oil passages

9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Been wanting to get my hands on an old catalog. As a teen I had an Honest Charlie's I wore down to shreds. Sure bring back fond memories of the past. Thanks for posting.

loudbang, 31hotrodguy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  10. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

I had a '50 Hudson when I was young and dumb. It had one of those "fidget spinners" on it. The thing whined like a supercharger with a bad bearing. That's all it did, too.

11. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Some of those "gadgets" are still out there. The ignition Sparki-King device is still around at county fairs (well not this last year), multiple electrode plugs, ram air on cars, and even convertible Camaro's of the late 60's/early 70's had weighted cylinders for balance control. Must have been/be something there? Who knows for sure? I never had any on them, and the only one that really made any sense to me, was the little propellers under the carburetor to further break up fuel droplets, well maybe not even that one. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  12. Mine didn't come with any mini superchargers...
    But now I want some...lol
    Chappy 20201010_175720.jpg
    20201010_175646.jpg

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can remember those adds in the car magazines and the adds for the catalogs and T shirts and have to wonder if some of those places didn't make more money selling T shirts and catalogs than what was in the catalog.

When I first started high school auto shop class as a sophomore in 1962 the instructor told us about a gent who had taken his car to the high school shop a number of times over the years when it got to running so rough that it didn't drive good. The guys would check it over and take all the gas mileage trinkets he had gotten by mail order off it, put them in a box and give it a good tune up stashing the box back on the shelf in the store room. After about three or four rounds of this they gave him the box full of trinkets back on one of his last trips to the shop with the car.

loudbang, mrpontiac, cfmvw and 4 others like this.
  14. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

The spindle nut actually makes sense once I studied it a bit. Not sure how much it would affect tire wear but it would allow more precise adjustment of the spindle nut.

loudbang, 31hotrodguy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  15. What were they named? Franz, Frantz, or something like that.

loudbang likes this.
  16. jaracer

jaracer

My first job was at a filling station when they were full service. There was a guy with a small shop around the corner that was a distributor for the toilet paper oil filters. He would rent our hoist to show people his 53 Chevy with one. The reason he wanted the hoist was to show his clients that the oil drain plug had been brazed in place. The car was 9 years old at the time and he claimed it had never had an oil change. Every 2,000 miles he would change the toilet paper roll and add one quart of oil. I impressed this 16 year old, but not enough to buy one.

17. jaracer

jaracer

I meant oil drain plug.

Boneyard51 and 31hotrodguy like this.
  18. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

fixed it for ya

19. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

How about this little gem? It is supposed to align the gas molecules to make them burn more efficiently.

snake_0il2.jpg

j-jock, loudbang, mrpontiac and 3 others like this.
  20. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Trailers have that. Move the dingus around till a slot lines up.

Screenshot 2020-11-10 at 2.29.59 PM.png

21. The modernish "hydrogen generators" that use electric from the alternator and generate hydrogen gas. Which is then routed to the intake via vacuum line or similar to be burned in the engine. Real net effect is a loss of efficiency converting water to hydrogen gas, then combining back to water.

Sent from dumb operator on a smart phone

Boneyard51 and 31hotrodguy like this.
  22. upspirate

upspirate

If you install all those fuel saving things on your engine, you'll have to tow a trailer with a tank on it to catch all the extra gas

X-cpe, Denns1989, loudbang and 6 others like this.
  23. v8flat44

v8flat44

Thanks guys, that was sure fun.....if ....well.......nah, maybe not

loudbang likes this.
  24. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

A late buddy of mine worked in the shop of a law enforcement agency in Louisiana. He said every new cop car that came in he installed a tube about 3’ long in the trunk or behind the bumper somewhere. Said the tube contained liquid mercury. It was supposed to go the opposite way in the tube that the rear of the car was going to help with stability at high speeds. Now, he was the kind of fellow that could tell you a bs lie and never crack a smile, so I don’t know whether to believe him or not, but it sounds like the same kind of deal in that ad with the springs and such. Maybe that’s why those old 50’s and 60’s cop cars held the road so good....if he hadn’t been such a big bull shitter I would have believed him without a doubt, but I cannot say it’s true or not.....

25. AD04412C-BDF3-49DD-BE77-7A127A11C3F9.jpeg

j-jock, loudbang, beegator and 2 others like this.
  26. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Yes they do. A friend has been running one on his 34 since the late 60's.
    Stilko.png

27. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

That was fun read! Thank you. When I worked in the auto parts business in the 90’s we had the modern day equivalents. Prolong and slick50 and split fire spark plugs. We never sold very much of any of them.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  28. cfmvw

cfmvw

I remember an ad for a battery tender, where you could keep your battery charged by clipping a pair of wires to the battery terminals and plugging the other end into the cigarette lighter socket in the dash.

29. RMONTY

RMONTY

Gotta keep them electrons flowing so they don't get all stove up like us old guys do when we don't move around, doncha know!

loudbang, cfmvw and 48fordnut like this.