Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 52 Chevrolet Styleline front shocks and cut coil springs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RMONTY, Nov 7, 2020.

1. RMONTY

RMONTY

I am considering taking a coil and a half off the springs on the front of my car to drop it down a bit.

If I do that, do I need to go with a different shock than what would be considered stock?

If I do have to go with a different shock, how should I measure and what is a good source to find the ones I need?

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Stockers are fine ...

RMONTY likes this.
  3. RMONTY

RMONTY

Thank you sir....

4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMO you don’t need to change the shocks. I put in Ford Aerostar fronts in my car and they were at least 3” different in relaxed height. It lowered the car 2 to 2-1/2” the car did not bottom out before the change and it still does not since the change and your stock shocks probably do not bottom now and won’t either. You will hit the rubber stops first.
    The shock will just work in the lower range not in the center as designed. I would check your shock max and minimum inches when you change the springs so you know what the minimum would be needed. Good luck. Remember to re align the front end..

5. RMONTY

RMONTY

I have rebuilt the entire front end and haven't had it aligned yet. I have to get the engine and all the sheet metal back on before I can get it aligned. I found a guy that can do the front end alignment and also do the exhaust at the same time when the time comes. Just ordering up parts I need for now....thanks for the input!

302GMC likes this.