Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Taking a small bit of shine out?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dmac620, Nov 5, 2020.

1. dmac620

dmac620

I just refinished the steering wheel on my ‘59 Ranch Wagon. The clear cost is just a bit too shiny to match the rest of the original paint in the interior. I’m looking at trying to SLIGHTLY dull the sheen of the newly painted wheel. I’m not trying to to achieve a flat finish, just one small step below the freshly painted clear cost finish.

What would be recommended to accomplish this? I was kinda leaning towards a 5000 grit wet sandpaper and leaving it “as sanded”

2. Without respraying the wheel with a semi-gloss clear my first thought is try 4/0 steel wool or a fine scotch-brite pad. nether one is as abrasive as sand paper. HRP

dmac620 likes this.
  3. wulf powis

wulf powis

steel wool or a light coat of lacquer thinner on a rag just light amought and wipe dry will dull the shine

dmac620 likes this.
  4. dmac620

dmac620

Thank you for the recommendations. I lightly hit it with 0000 steel wool and the shine is now almost an exact match to the rest of the painted interior parts.

vtx1800 likes this.

5. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

I have used lacquer thinner on most surfaces to wipe off various things. On a painted surface, the lacquer thinner is so strong that it may leave too many swirl marks on your painted portion of the wheel. There is no way to regulate the intensity of the lacquer thinner. Yes, put on less... But, how much less? Touching any painted surface will be the same with an eraser dot or finger pressure inside of a rag. So, be careful with lacquer thinner.

The finest wet dry sand paper or very fine or super fine steel wool should do the trick. But, again, the finer surface sandpaper/steel wool you use, it may take more than one swipe. Just go slowly and see what each amount of pressure brings in a small curved area.

Jnaki

I love lacquer thinner, but it is very touchy and cleans super fast. So, the least amount of "roughing up" the surface is a much better way to progress to your finished goal. The super fine steel wool comes in various size containers. If you have any left over, stick it inside of a known gopher hole or garage mouse hole. They won't eat steel wool, it is bad for their inner linings... YRMV