Register now to get rid of these ads!

home made tools and equipment...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jan 16, 2008.

1. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

This is a very good method to get a rough idea, but often the numbers telling what it contains refers to larger groups of substances, not one exact substance.

loudbang likes this.
  2. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Well here's one for a Sharpie...Section 3: Butanol (71-36-3), Propanol (71-23-8), Diacetone Alcohol (123-42-2), Ethanol (64-17-5), pigments, dyes, additives. So yeah I guess I see what you mean...not.

loudbang likes this.
  3. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

Check the one for WD40 instead.

loudbang likes this.
  4. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Well I generally dont spend my time making someone else case for them, but sure lets play: WD40 MSDS Section 3:
    Aliphatic Hydrocarbon (64742-47-8)
    Petroleum Base Oil (64742-58-1. 64742-53-6, 64742-56-9, 64742-65-0)
    LVP Aliphatic Hydrocarbon (64742-47-8)
    Carbon Dioxide (124-38-9)
    So AGAIN I guess I see your point...ahhh not.
    BTW those numbers in parenthesis () are the CAS numbers - that specifically identify the chemical being referenced to. Here's a definition I found on the web for CAS numbers:
    CAS Numbers
    CAS Numbers are up to 10 digits long using the format xxxxxxx-yy-z. They are assigned to a compound as the CAS registers a new compound. The number has no significance to the chemistry, structure, or chemical nature of the molecule.

The CAS Number of a compound is a useful way to identify a chemical over its name. For example, the compound CAS 64-17-5 refers to ethanol. Ethanol is also known as ethyl alcohol, ethyl hydrate, absolute alcohol, grain alcohol or hydroxyethane. The CAS Number is the same for all these names.

The CAS Number can also be used to distinguish between stereoisomers of a compound. Glucose is a sugar molecule that has two forms: D-glucose and L-glucose. D-glucose is also called dextrose and has CAS Number 50-99-7. L-glucose is the mirror image of D-glucose and has a CAS Number of 921-60-8.

loudbang likes this.
  5. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

Let's just open this one.

Molecules with 9-16 carbon atoms (there are LOADS of those) and a boiling point anywhere between 150 and 290 degrees isn't very specific. It's a group of many substances.
    The butanol in the sharpie is an alcohol with the chemical formula C4H9OH, there are five different kinds of butanol but I think that CAS number may be specific for one of them. In that case the contents of the MSDS is rather specific.

So, as I said, sometimes it just gives you a more or less rough idea about the content, not a detailed "blueprint". Sometimes it's quite accurate.

Anyway, this may be getting away from the subject of home made tools and equipment.

6. Sheeze.....enough about sharpies already. I thought this was a home made tool thread.

VANDENPLAS, cretin, 6inarow and 8 others like this.
  7. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

^^^^^^^^^^^X2

VANDENPLAS and loudbang like this.
  8. Dyce

Dyce

Just one last thing. Ive brought many sharpies back to life by running them over a piece of sandpaper. Just cleaning the dirt off of the tip works many times.

loudbang likes this.
  9. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

For what a Sharpie costs, when they start to screw up it's lass hassle to just drop them in the trash bucket. Chalk and crayons work equally with less problems while Sharpies tend to bleed through paint no matter how many times you paint over them.

loudbang likes this.
  10. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

That’s the HAMB! We can make a mountain out of a mole hill! I love it! Lol

Bones

VANDENPLAS and saltflats like this.
  11. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

So NOT exactly a tool but a DIRT cheap 2X6 “wood” Tool holder. I like the tools facing down as it keeps a lot of the dirt out of the inlets. Cheap as it’s made from scrap and nice that it keeps my air tools at arms length. Sorry for the messy bench. D41EB343-DF35-40EC-A466-3852F695B99F.jpeg

I used some leftover “wood” but for those who like to argue we can also call it timber or plank or kindling or tree slab or thin log or??????????? !

12. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

OK I was cleaning out my tool box and ran across this hillbilly puller I made. Not nearly as good as the real deal but IIRC I was being lazy and needed to replace a PS pulley and didn’t have room for a “good” puller and was too lazy to pull the pump. Hey it worked! 76F7C419-99FB-403D-853F-1726A16DCE90.jpeg

VANDENPLAS, brEad and loudbang like this.
  13. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I wish that my bench was that organized.

14. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Me too. You can actually see parts of his bench in that picture.

15. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Speaking of sweet racks...not those racks - Tool Racks. Here’s one that has been serving me well for years- body hammers and air tools mostly. Can swivel out if the way when not in use.i should have made the center support a bit longer as the hammer handles rub on the support...one of these days I’ll extend it 6C184E56-EB75-4A3B-B534-3B110086DF69.jpeg

Boneyard51, brEad, j hansen and 5 others like this.
  16. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

One last "Sharpie" suggestion.
    Are you tired of picking up ink pens in your shop to jot something down or make a pattern on cardboard or whatever, only to find that they won't write or stop writing in mid-word? Get on Amazon and order a box of these to put in your shop. They write really well and don't seem to have any problems. They come with a little ball on the end, so you have to remove it. Get some for your shop and save a whole lot of cursing......

Sharpie S Gel 001.jpg

Boneyard51 and putz like this.
  17. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

18. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Okay guys, let's stay "sharp" out there. We don't want to lose the "point" of this thread! A lot of these ideas are leaving an "indelible mark" on our collective brains...

Boneyard51, brEad, loudbang and 7 others like this.
  19. I guess I will just have to stop watching this sharpie thread and find one that is about HOME MADE TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT!

Bugguts, clem, Boneyard51 and 6 others like this.
  20. Here's hoping the "Sharpie" conversation has dried up. :) (use Milwaukee markers, way better)

21. Bring this back to home made tools; made most of these in the early '70's and they have been working ever since. Engine/body/etc. hoist, bead roller, sheet metal brake, frame/axle rotisserie, short finder, and a couple of later built blast cabinets.
    hoist medium.jpg
    banjo on stands.jpg body lift (Medium).jpg brake.jpg cherry picker truck.jpg roller.jpg IMG_1784 (Medium).jpg tester.JPG sandblast cabinet.jpg top load cabinet.jpg

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
  22. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

And there's that CENTERING PUNCH again, in the first pic, right hand, lower corner! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

23. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

While I have actually posted quite a few home made tool ideas that I actually built, I think that any suggestion for something that makes it easier to build those homemade tools or old cars is something worth mentioning. Like "silver" colored SHARPIES that let you see the line you want to cut..........clearly. If you haven't tried them, then you will never realize that they are an "adaption" of something ......and it will actually help you in your shop. Seems pretty senseless to get upset when others are only offering you the benefit of their experience........so you can "discover" them too. Nope technically its not a home made tool, but then neither are many of the garages that get posted. Lighten up and enjoy the fact that someone tried to share something beneficial. We all must have pretty good lives if all we can find to B**** about is SHARPIEs !:p

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  24. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

This kinda reminds me of my very early days on the Hamb when I casually referenced a tri-five Chevy as a "shoebox"....Holy Toledo! - you'd have thought I just posted pictures of a Honda Civic with a wing and a fart can and called it Traditional. The MOUNTAIN of an issue "they" made out of this was THEIR contribution, I guess. I digress...in MY garage - sharpies are in facts "tools" - as I can't cut the metal very well if I don't have a line I can see. So YES I personally appreciate your tip to try some silver ones too. Like you I try to make contributions that might help someone actually WORKING on their hotrod - I'm NOT trying to go into the Sharpie Manufacturing Industry (I woulda thought that was obvious here). I also liked the suggestion to sand the tip - hey I could be out of thinner late some night!!!!! So to keep "on topic" here's another tool of sorts that I made. I took a line laser whihc IIRC was 5VDC and mounted it on the ceiling to use a as modern day "hanging tennis ball" for when I pull one of the cars into the garage. I am TIGHT for room so with this I can park it easily within 1/8" of where I want it - which then maximizes room for using other tools. <grin>. AND since I am a cheap bastage - I powered it with a USB brick - so pretty much everything was just junk laying around - and there's no batteries to go dead AND there's nothing on the floor to trip over when the car's not there nor anything to duck around either.

Attached Files:

25. j hansen

j hansen

Made this blaster cabinet from leftover sheet metal and plywood. Skärmavbild 2020-11-09 kl. 19.15.30.png

26. Moselli

Moselli

This isn’t exactly rocket surgery, but I’m old and I need to write notes to remind me do things. Then I need to be able to find that note. When I’m working in my Speed Shop, things pop into my brain and then by the time I leave the shop, they pop out.

Solution. I took a three-ring binder, cut the guts out of it and mounted it on a cabinet door in my shop. When I have a great idea or think of something I need to do, I write it down use my old paper punch, snap open the binder guts and it’s there on the door for me. Did I mention that I need to write notes to myself?

I’m now working on trying to remember to read the notes I write myself....

Attached Files:

27. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

- - OR - - JUMP IN and SHARE some of the tools you've made and we all benefit.

28. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

So here’s a “tool” I made a LONG time ago for the princely sum of ZERO, FREE, NADA and a splash of good luck! The pic kinda sucks so you'll have to use your imagination a little. So the tool is a “I” beam for the garage....ok technically it’s an “H” beam but it still has worked for a couple decades now. The trolley I cut out if 1/2” plate and lucked on some solid steel wheels (scrap bin at work). If you look close you'll notice the wheels are not flanged and are sorta wide (which I thought was a good thing since the beam is kinda wide), also note that I used BIG shoulder bolts which IIRC the wheels bearings run directly on. Not the ideal wheel but for as much as a home guy can use one of these it hasn't mattered (meaning the inevitable rubbing on the side plates). I found the beam behind our building and knocked on every business door to see if I could get it and they GAVE it to me (don’t know until you ask!) Anyways since I am space challenged this has been super helpful as it takes zero floorspace. 2954F881-2B9F-4987-BCFA-8218C12482AC.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  29. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Here’s a fender roller and hammer I made. The hammer sure doesn’t look like much but working aluminum- I’ve used it a ton - just going to show you it’s definitely not always about looks. 66E2F287-B905-4227-BB50-D24CFF2D8505.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020