Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

J.U.
    I have a model A rocky mountain brake set up, but we live on opposite coasts...

J.Ukrop and loudbang like this.
  2. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you for the offer. I'm going to try to work with what I have for now, but I'd gladly pay to ship them when/if the time comes.

pineknot4 and winduptoy like this.
  3. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Not a ton happening on the car tonight. I did manage to prime the wheels (first with etching primer, then red oxide) and get the rumble seat hinges in place. The decklid will need some massaging but I think I'll be able to make it work. Note that the driver's side hinge was actually welded on by a previous owner. The underside is pretty ragged, but I'm working with what I have. I will be running lunchbox latches up top.
    IMG_1243.jpg
    IMG_1247.jpg

Dannerr, winduptoy, OFT and 15 others like this.
  4. 31Apickup

31Apickup

The stock floor panel/ seat riser has stops for the deck lid so that it doesn’t open too far and crease the deck lid.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  5. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

J U, I have a pair of rumble lid stops, no rubber just steel... free if you want 'em…

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
  6. It looks like you already have the handle and latch plus hinges for a trunk so why the rumble seat idea.

Paul likes this.
  7. Mind sending me some pictures? Interested but im on the West Coast

loudbang likes this.
  8. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

It's kinda strange how these things can be. So, as far as I can tell, the roadster was a rumble seat car converted to a trunk years ago. The decklid is a trunk converted to a rumble seat. Since the rumble seat hinge was already welded on and the latch was completely trashed, I decided that I would keep with the rumble for now. That's part one.

The main reason? Hot rods are about enjoying this stuff with your friends. How fun would it be to be rumbling around SF with one friend up front and a couple more in the back? Screen Shot 2020-11-04 at 12.06.36 PM.png

9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

More guys to help you push it up the hill lol

Ace westlake hardware stores carry a lot of little lunch box style latches here. Might be worth a look at your local hardware store. I always look threw the little drawers and bins

winduptoy, catdad49, brEad and 4 others like this.
  10. 31Apickup

31Apickup

That exact picture came to mind, I can just picture you and some pals cruising like that.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Big mike 1968, Stogy and J.Ukrop like this.
  11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

If your plans include Lombard street you may want to consider the flathead swap more expeditiously!
    I knew better than to make my standard small block Chevy recommendation.:rolleyes:

Outback and J.Ukrop like this.
  12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Um, no. Lombard, where it has a hill, is one-way, and that is down.

13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Than the rumble seat is for buddies to slow you down the hill lol

loudbang and J.Ukrop like this.
  14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

SAW THAT COMING!:confused:

15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

That’s because you’d be at the top of the hill lol

16. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

But the hydraulic brake upgrade was going to be done at the same time as the flathead swap. IIRC.

winduptoy, loudbang and Outback like this.
  17. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Memories, Jnaki! 1975, worked at San Jose BMW on San Carlos St. Went across the street after work, to Western Appliance...Bought a 'Skinny Minnie' washer/dryer, actually slid 'some of it' into the open trunk of my mild custom '53 Ford Victoria...
    Merged onto highway 17, cruised home to Aptos, (Seacliff, above the 'Cement Boat'.)
    Ex wife was thrilled, the machine was compact enough to fit our 2 bedroom beach house.
    The TV ad for the store: "Western Appliance...Making life much easier for everyone..."

Ex wife was thrilled, but uptight when I brought my 'new' '55 F100 home. Said "we" didn't need a truck. I said, "Which part of 'we'?"

18. 42˚18'N 83˚09'W

42˚18'N 83˚09'W

I have some fond memories of Lombard St. Back around 1980 I got a standing ovation for taking a 1974 Lincoln Town car down the hill. Lock to lock on each turn.

loudbang and J.Ukrop like this.
  19. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My bud and I took our wives to S.F. on July 4th weekend in 1962, in his '31 Plymouth P-A coupe.
    Jack and his wife Pam rode in front, wife Janet and I rode in the rumble seat.
    Plymouth had a bored 354" Chrysler hemi, Weiand Drag Star intake, six 97s. '50 Merc tranny, Eelco linkage.
    Drove down Lombard St., low and second...From Santa Clara, 35 miles away, this was the first 'shakedown run'. Jack's son Steve now has the Plymouth. (Hamb member)

20. I see why she is your "EX" :p

21. Sixtigers

Sixtigers

I'm really enjoying this build.

winduptoy, Outback and J.Ukrop like this.
  22. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you for following along. I'm enjoying working on it one day at a time.

winduptoy, catdad49 and Outback like this.
  23. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Today was a big day for the roadster. Before work, I was able to take my freshly painted wheels to the tire shop. They'll be ready either tomorrow or Monday. I can't wait to get them bolted on.

Earlier this afternoon, I got a package from the roadster's previous owner. Without opening it, I knew what it was. Lo and behold, it was the car's original windshield stanchions. I wasted little time reuniting them with the car and windshield posts. They had been together for decades and then separated. Now, they're back together again! I'm super thankful that he sent them to me.
    IMG_1262.jpg
    IMG_1263.jpg

24. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

looking good mate!

winduptoy and J.Ukrop like this.
  25. silverdome

silverdome

Just found this today and couldn't stop reading. Your roadster is looking good and you're having fun, Hotrod life don't get much better than that. Thanks for sharing and I'll be following along.

winduptoy, OFT and J.Ukrop like this.
  26. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you!

Thanks! For a first hot rod project, it's been extremely fun. Plenty more to come!

27. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Next up, I'm building my headlight bar. I'll be taking it to my buddy Yama's shop for welding next week. (You may remember the tale of our roadtrip to Sacramento in an old Econoline from a Jalopy Journal article of yesteryear).

Oh, notice anything different about the front end? I'll have more details tomorrow!
    IMG_1283.jpg
    IMG_1282.jpg

GASSERBOB, winduptoy, OFT and 9 others like this.
  28. New wheel/tires....Looking good!

winduptoy, OFT, Outback and 1 other person like this.
  29. CA. 280

CA. 280

Be sure you know how to play liars dice so you fit in.

J.Ukrop likes this.
  30. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Dig those little license plate tabs on the light bar, and the light bar as well!