Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Empty gas tank over winter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AldeanFan, Nov 1, 2020.

1. Good stuff guys........thanks !

lothiandon1940 and Boneyard51 like this.
  2. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I always just top off my tank and put it away.
    Also, I've never had trouble with a lawn mower in the spring with whatever amount of gas was left after the last use, but I didn't run the gas out of my snowblower one year and had trouble that winter. It started fine after I topped the tank but didn't have any power. I drained the tank, refilled with fresh gas and it was fine. It makes me think that the "good stuff" doesn't evaporate out in cold weather but does in warm weather.

Gary

3. 6sally6

6sally6

How bout a dose of denatured alcohol? Sure burns good in a model airplane.....cold as ice on your skin so that has to mean something good! Right?!
    6sally6

4. gene-koning

gene-koning

Every motor driven piece of equipment I own has a plastic fuel tank. My coupe, my wife's car, my beater truck, my new project truck, my old snow blower, my new snow blower, and my mower all have plastic fuel tanks, even both of my gas cans are plastic.

I will shut the fuel off on the mower and run the motor until it quits when I park it for winter, probably next week. The tank will be about 1/4 full. It will be running again before there will be an issue with the gas going bad.
    I do the same thing with the snow blowers, which sits in my heated shop during the winter.

The coupe gets parked in its outdoor parking area, about 10' off the driveway, it too will be running again before whatever gas is in it can go bad. My beater truck and my wife's car get used year around. The project truck sat in the yard since last spring with nearly a full tank of gas, its been moved around enough it down to about a 1/2 a tank, I'm not concerned about it either, and hopefully I will be driving it next spring.

I've never in my life bought any kind of fuel stabilizer. I've not had any storage fuel related issues with anything I've owned in the last 48 years, as long as the gas wasn't over 2-3 years old when I bought the ride. Gas that is older then 4 years gets drained. Gene

5. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

In my 2 hot rods, I year around use 93octane !0% ethanol with Sta Bil 360* added, and haven't found any trace of sediment, or corrosion. The roadster has no top, and usually gets driven very little thru the Winter.
    For my ot DD, it's new enough to have components compatible with ethanol so I don't use any thing in it other than 87 octane, 10% ethanol.
    Seasonally used recreational and yard work stuff, I use non-ethanol plus the original Sta-Bil.
    It's news to me that Shell sells ethanol-free Premium as patterg2003 states. He doesn't list his state location, but I've never seen that in GA.
    Also, Boneyard51, what additive is it that creates a "pink goo"? Inquiring minds, not only want to know, I'm sure they also want to avoid use of that additive.

Boneyard51 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I’m a little reluctant to bad mouth anything by name. In this crazy world you never know what can happen. I usually refer to items that most folks can figure out. I never mention the name of that oil mesh air filter that I bad mouth all the time. There are several out there, but they are all equally poor. Many times I have had to remove that pink goo out of lawn mower tanks and carbs. My lawn mowers hold ten gallons, so I’m not saying they weren’t overdosed , but it would have to almost be on purpose. It would be easy to overdose a two quart push lawn mower. I also don’t know if they drove the mower to mix it or just dumped it in. But I did have to do a lot of cleaning on these mowers. And these are new mowers, so the started out with perfectly clean tanks. And it was not a cheap repair, considering the time I have in that procedure. This is my experience with this pink stuff, .....maybe you have had a similar experience?????

Bones

7. von zipper

von zipper

Boneyard51 likes this.
  8. RmK57

RmK57

That's a pretty good idea. I don't know how many old cars I've bought from years ago that had years old leaded gas in them and start off easily.

One of our local small local airports has self serve. Just pull up in your car and fill your gas cans. You don't even need a tail number. The worst part is the gas nozzle dispencer, their the large style like the big truck nozel. As far as price goes here in Vancouver it's about 1.65 a liter for LL 100 or about the same price as 94 Chevron premium.

9. ....I've never used it, but I've had friends that swear by it.

seb fontana likes this.
  10. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I have used sea foam many times to solve problems. I again go to my former business of selling high end zero turn mowers, but lawn today’s mower engines have a lot in common with our older engines.
    Many times I would get a call from a customer that their mower engine was just not running perfect, running, mowing, but seems sluggish. I would tell them to split a can of sea foam in each five gallon tank, run those tanks out and call me back! I can’t tell you how many times I got that call telling me their mower was now running perfect. I use it all the time, regularly. Works for me.

Bones

lothiandon1940 likes this.