Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Very cool ride

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

J.Ukrop likes this.
  2. junkman8888

junkman8888

A million years ago I worked for a body shop that had a "steel wheel straightener", saved the shop lots of time chasing down replacement wheels. It consisted of a big steel plate mounted on a table, what looked like a trailer axle stub mounted straight up, a trailer hub (which could be swapped out to accommodate different bolt patterns), and a hydraulic jack. To use the tool you bolted the proper hub to the stub axle, bolted the wheel to the hub, put the jack under the rim of the wheel, then rotated the wheel. Where the rim rubbed the jack, that's where you pushed the rim up. Hopefully you can find one of those tools at a body shop or wheel repair shop.

3. rusty valley

rusty valley

you checked your rim on the absolute outer edge, which really has no relationship with where the tire sits when mounted. the outer edges are quite often bent up from tire iron operators with no skill or patience, but that does not affect the tire running true. the place to check is where the bottom of the bead sits, and where the side of the bead sits. place a jack stand up near the inner surface of the rim where i mentioned and check again. they gotta be round, and side play can be 1/6 to an 1/8 ok, 3/16 look for a better wheel. put the worst on the back. hope this makes sense, i am not computer savvy enough to draw out what i mean !

4. rusty valley

rusty valley

well, i drew up a sketch so i wouldnt loose sleep over the confusion i created. should make better sense now. btw, i have never seen a perfect old ford wire wheel, but they gotta be round. happy motoring IMG_0754.JPG

Dannerr, NoSurf, Uribe and 16 others like this.
  5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Se have a few wheel shops here. I am not sure if they will take anything this old, though.

*Edit: That got me thinking. The machine to do this is $7k. Makes me wonder if I could make any money doing old wheels....

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    chryslerfan55, Tim and brEad like this.
  6. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you everyone for the input and advice. It's one of many reasons why I love the H.A.M.B. so damn much.

I was eying all portions of the wheel while spinning it, but your diagram makes a ton of sense. Thank you for taking the time to pass on the knowledge!

JalopyJimbo, OFT, The 39 guy and 5 others like this.
  7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Joey, here is another way to check wheel run out. I reversed a pair of fronts for my COE, and checked them this way. With something heavy placed close to the inside bead lip. Keep moving it closer, until it starts to rub, and watch the gap, as you spin the wheel. IMG_2847.JPG

8. rusty valley

rusty valley

also, marty's truck wheels above ^^^ are strong enough that two lug nuts would work just fine. however, i find that on old ford wire's you should really use all 5 lug nuts tight like normal for a more accurate test

catdad49, Tim, greaser and 2 others like this.
  9. On your brakes if the drums are steel they are 99% shot. Get in touch with Randy Gross in So. Cal he is the one who makes the CAST IRON drums for Model A's and builds up the shoes and backing plates as well. Go bonded on the cast iron drums as the woven shoes will eat them up faster. I have them on my sedan and they stop quite well and I outweigh you:). By the way my plug for Randy is great service and he is a cool car guy to boot.

Mike

10. If he's gonna spring for cast iron A drums, he may as well upgrade to 32+ brakes or juice...

chryslerfan55, Tim, Hotrodmyk and 4 others like this.
  11. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

This hits the nail on the head. The plan is to swap to juice brakes by this time next year, so this does not have to be the ultimate Model A braking system. My friend Aaron von Minden is coming by this week with some Model A brake parts that we're going to use to refresh/upgrade what I have.

catdad49, Tim, Stogy and 7 others like this.
  12. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

IMG_1134.jpg
    Aaron (@SAVAGE) swung by this afternoon with a truckload of great stuff. Both the front and rear drums have already been turned and the rears need a tiny bit of cleanup. The fronts will need new wheel studs sweged in, but I've already talked to a machine shop in Los Gatos that can do it (if anyone knows of a place a little closer to SF that can tackle it, I'm all ears). In the pile are also a set of four almost-perfect brake shoes and plenty of parts.

It was great catching up and hearing about Aaron's new projects ranging from a survivor '34 Ford to a badass home garage that he's building. I'm going to head down his way to check it all out in the not-so-distant future.

IMG_1132.jpg
    IMG_1131.jpg

Dannerr, GASSERBOB, OFT and 14 others like this.
  13. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Also of interest: I was able to take my wheels to Andy's in South San Francisco during lunch one day to get a second opinion. After running all four on the balancing machine, they confirmed my findings. Four were good, one was just alright. So now the best four are at the sandblaster and should be ready Friday. Know what that means? Paint this weekend! IMG_1120.jpg

14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man Aaron/ savage is a name I haven’t seen in at least a decade. Looks like he hooked you up! Loving the progress on this :)

~have you seen the video of him jumping culverts in a K car? Man that’s gotta be floating around the internet somewhere...

15. What about powder coat instead of paint, NRI powder coating in South City did my KH wires 15+ years ago and they still look good. Also if you need to get those back drums easily off I have the correct KR Wilson puller.

16. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I was thinking about powedercoat, but I ended up passing for two reasons. 1) Money's tight. 2) I only plan to run wires for about a year or less. Once I go to juice brakes, I'm bolting on my '40 Ford steelies. I will have to take you up on you puller offer though!

17. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Congrats man! Such a great car and awesome thread!

J.Ukrop likes this.
  18. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you! It's been a lot of fun thus far, and I'm excited to learn a whole lot more as I move along.

19. Word, just let me know when you're ready. I'm usually free most Fridays and Sundays, this coming Saturday is likely a day trip day for the wife and I. You can shoot me a message on here or Facebook.

20. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good taste in beer ! Since you are in S.F., do you ever try Anchor Steam ? We tried it for the first time when we went to your city several years ago. It wasn't available in Texas at the time. Good luck on your build. Seems like you have lots of help, an invaluable commodity.

chryslerfan55, Jrs50 and Outback like this.
  21. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you, Gary. Anchor Steam is a great beer with a very neat backstory. It pairs especially well with the beef brisket platter from my favorite San Francisco institution, Tommy's Joynt. Next time you're in town, it's definitely worth checking out. It's been a SF staple since 1947. IMG_3332.jpg (Nabbing the best parking spot with my XLCH)

22. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

As the weekend winds down, it's time for a build update. Here's where we stand.

Tomorrow morning, my wheels will be ready to pick up from the sandblaster. It's supposed to be sunny, so hopefully I'll be able to spray some primer on my lunch break. I also got the studs for my turned front drums. I found a machine shop in Berkeley that will be able to machine the shoulders down 1/16th of an inch (per manufactures instructions) and swedge them in there. With any luck, I'll be able to tackle that this week. Additionally, I'm disassembling my extra set of rear brakes to 1) learn about them and 2) send in the brake shoes as cores for my new ones that I will be buying in the next week or so.

In other news, today I sold my Triumph chopper to fund the Model A project and free up space in the garage. I've owned the bike for six years, and I learned a great deal working on it. I feel that I went to a good home and I hope the new owner enjoys it as much as I did. _K3A7919.jpg

23. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Also, since I haven't posted a picture of the car in a while, here's a behind-the-scenes photo of me exploring the concept of working hard/hardly working out in the driveway. PXL_20201024_195712893_Original.jpg

24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Which machine shop in Berkeley?

Outback and kidcampbell71 like this.
  25. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Bob McGee's Machining. I wasn't able to get anywhere with any in San Francisco. Have any suggestions?

26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kevin over at SMP on Bryant might be able to do it.

Big mike 1968, winduptoy and Stogy like this.
  27. So you’re working hard at hardly working correct?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

catdad49, Stogy, J.Ukrop and 2 others like this.
  28. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Today I picked up my wheels and I am super impressed. I have never had anything sandblasted before, but I am blown away at how good they look. They're tucked away in the dry garage tonight, and I'll be priming them tomorrow. IMG_1231.jpg
    IMG_1232.jpg

29. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I tried them but they didn't pick up. I'll try again tomorrow.

kidcampbell71 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  30. Wheels came out really nice!