Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Cheap ass 34 pick up

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dumprat, May 31, 2015.

1. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

IMG_0029.jpg I learned a lot about brush painting a car today. Somewhat of an arcane process that gives one great respect for the guys who used to brush paint model Ts ahead of the QC supervisor.
    You use a lot less paint than you would expect. I used two pints of paint.
    You slop it on thick and smooth it out.
    Use the large flat side of the brush not the tip, the tip creates bubbles.
    The difference between a run and not enough paint to flow is a very fine line.
    You can't go back and add more paint over something in ten minutes, it makes a sticky mess. Let it dry and go back later.

I have a few runs to fix and some spots that need some more paint. But that is super easy to fix, I already tried it on the dash where I had a big drop hit it. Sand it with 600 grit and repaint.
    Once the runs and shit are fixed I am going to wax it and buff it off with one of the wife's old microfibre cloths. I tried it on part of the grill shell and it works really nice. The wax and buff makes it feel really smooth and buffs off more of the dust marks.
    The brushed finish really appeals to me. It has look of a kids truck from the 50's. Bought it wth Fridays paycheque, sanded Saturday and painted Sunday after church. Ready to go chasing girls the following Friday night.

2. Gnater

Gnater

Looks good from here!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  3. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Looks great. What kind of paint did you use and what size brush?

Big mike 1968, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  4. That came out very nice!

5. cfmvw

cfmvw

I'm impressed! I knew the T's were painted with a brush, fun to read about how it was done and seeing someone putting that technique to use.

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Awesome!

7. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

All cars were brush painted a first. When the assembly line came along they needed a faster way. Spray painting was a compromise to quality in order to crank cars out by the thousands per day. It looks great!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  8. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I used marine urethane enamel and 2" brush designed for epoxy. I would suggest a finer brush and a little thinner. It has more brush marks than I would like. I do think it will polish out pretty well.

Thanks for the compliments gentleman.

9. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

If it’s not good enough for ya you could always start over. You’ve been quite clear that you do love sanding after all.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

If you add Flood brand Floetrol to the paint it will smooth out better!

11. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I have had bad luck mixing products. I wouldn't try it. This tuff flows pretty good with a small amount of mineral spirits, thinner seems to make it not cure correctly and stay soft forever.

12. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Wet sanding small areas isn't too bad. My fingerprints will grow back eventually.

Stogy, loudbang and Runnin shine like this.
  13. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

With no fingerprints now is the time for your crime spree! :eek:

Stogy, Runnin shine and loudbang like this.
  14. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Ya! Then I could afford the rest of the parts I need!

Woogeroo, loudbang, Tim and 2 others like this.
  15. guitarguy

guitarguy

I am absolutely love the low down and dirty brush painted body. That is so good. I may decide to rattle can my T vs. brush painting, we'll see, because it's the look that matters, and it has to scream low buck with a hot engine. That came out pretty darn good for you I think.

16. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

It look better in pics than it is. The great part is I can paint the bless with a small brush, wet sand it and then go over it again. It's a screwy way around it but I am too hard on stuff, nice paint is going to stress me out. This job I can fix and re-fix indefinitely.

A Boner, Stogy and Six Ball like this.
  17. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I agree. I thought primer would give me that "fix it" ability on my '53 pickup that still has to be a truck.. It didn't. Then I went to Rust-Oleum flat black and it is worse. I have to repaint a whole panel or piece and it doesn't match. No chance of blending. I plan to brush my roadster.

Stogy likes this.
  18. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I found shiny paint easier to match than flat. Flat seems to fade quicker. Shiny I can wax, and waxed this paint looks pretty much like old lacquer

BradinNC, loudbang, Six Ball and 2 others like this.
  19. Wow Matt, it has been a while since I checked in on your build. It looks awesome. Very impressive work!

Big mike 1968 and loudbang like this.
  20. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I did the dash and window frames in the pickup in old Duplicolor lacquer when it was sold in rattle cans. So easy to use and touch up. Twenty years and it still looks great.

brEad, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  21. Lowbow38

Lowbow38

Put alittle Penetrol in your paint and stir it in really good. Use Purdy Ox hair brushes, stiffer one to apply the paint and a softer one to Tip the paint. Penetrol takes out the brush marks. Apply 4-5 coats and wet sand between coats let dry for awhile and buff the paint out or leave it as it is. I’m a sign painter and this is what I do with my platforms I use and with 1shot paint.

22. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

IMG_0040.jpg After five years of eating dirt it's pretty exciting to be putting shiny parts on!

brEad, IowaMercMan, patmanta and 9 others like this.
  23. Never mind the shiny parts, when are ya gonna be putting a license plate on it???

loudbang, Runnin shine and Six Ball like this.
  24. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Plans is for March 16 th. I will be 47.

25. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Is that all? Still a puppy. :D Maybe that is why you get stuff done. :cool:

sidevalve8ba and loudbang like this.
  26. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Dang kid. Get off the lawn. I turned 74 last April. Still playing with cars so I must be living right

bob b. and loudbang like this.
  27. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

75 in June blind in one eye, 2nd heart valve replacement in August, went hunting alone last Monday into the mountains here (6,500 feet) and shot a 3 point buck. Gutted, dragged him to the truck, loaded & hauled him home, hung and skinned him. Butchered yesterday. Car related? I had to move hot rod parts to get him in the barn. One tired, achey, and lucky old fart! :eek: :D
    I'm sure enjoying this build and really like what it has morphed into. You know I started following because of the flathead six but just could not look away, glad I didn't. :)

28. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Right on @Six Ball ! I miss deer hunting. Not much of that on this island.

The build has certainly evolved over time, based mostly on what I find. Or is some case what doesn't fit very well or just plain doesn't work.
    This little nugget dropped into my lap yesterday. I know it's a 32 but I might use it anyway. It polished up ok.
    IMG_0061.jpg

Runnin shine, brEad, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  29. duecesteve

duecesteve

It looks great we painted a 30 model A 1/2 ton p'up my dad and i got out of a barn .my 3 sisters and i brushed it with chassis black about 30 years ago .my dad sold it and it got over restored and it will never look the same .it had 8" wide home made wheels for the beach .it was cool truck .nice job :)

loudbang likes this.
  30. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Cool find, that will look and work nice. I found a stock one for my roadster that I hope I can make work along with a stock set of pedals. I think one of the pleasures in building these things is the appreciation of locating and handling of each piece.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
    Atwater Mike, brEad, dumprat and 2 others like this.