Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Wee Terry Coupe Build Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Little Terry, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Chopp'd49

Chopp'd49

I Should have read the entire post before throwing in my 2 cents - don't mind me....

loudbang likes this.
  2. getow

getow

Lol. No biggie. Im slow. Thought i missed something. Lolol

3. Little Terry

Little Terry

Not much progress this week. Got the dash in for a trial fit. Laid out the dial and switch locations and started thinking about the seating position before I can get the column drop done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stogy, alfin32 and loudbang like this.
  4. getow

getow

Well i hope you put some cushion on that seat. It dont look comfy at all. Eeeee. Lol. Glad to see your making progress, at least. I did notice the battery hole in the floor board is on the wrong side. Floorboard just upside-down or is that for a reason?

5. Little Terry

Little Terry

The floor panel was just in the way so I dropped it in. Hopefully the battery will end up behind the seat.

loudbang likes this.
  6. Little Terry

Little Terry

I am taking a long time over this part of the build, but I keep changing my mind!

Tried a different layout for the dash....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got the seat height and position sorted (subject to trying it with the steering wheel in place)...

[​IMG]

I plan to use an old Fordson tractor (Model N) fuel tank. I will reposition the outlet and move the filler tube, exiting in front of the trunk lid. I did a quick test fit. Looks like it should work.

[​IMG]

AHotRod, Stogy, alfin32 and 3 others like this.
  7. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Make sure you set the dash back far enough so it’s just behind the air slots that directs air to your feet when the windshield is open.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Little Terry likes this.
  8. el_coyotte

el_coyotte

Hello Terry, I think now is to much of gauges on dash, old gauges panel you find before (maybye with a little changes) will be perfect to this project - thats only my opinion,
    maybye something like this project:

20190126_195059.jpg

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    Little Terry likes this.
  9. redoxide

redoxide

I see where your headng with the gauge layout Mark .. Im bias, but I kinda like this one :) love the gas tank fitment .. can you still buy those tanks ?

DSCF4884.JPG

Stogy, loudbang and Little Terry like this.
  10. Little Terry

Little Terry

Thanks guys. I must have changed the dash layout five times already. It is still not settled! Just trying to come up with something that looks cool, but doesn’t follow the crowd too much.

The gas tank is an old one from a breaker and my mate blasted and primed it for me. There are a few pin holes that need welding up and I will take the end out of it to clean out the insides. I may shorten it so that I can mount the battery next to it and also so that you can see the ‘Ford Motor Company England’ script that is pressed into the end.

I do have a nicer cap for it that I plan to use....

[​IMG]

I really appreciate the feedback and hope I can make my mind up eventually!

Stogy, brEad and redoxide like this.
  11. redoxide

redoxide

I hear what your saying re making it different, youll know when you hit the right combination for the gauge layout :)

loudbang and Little Terry like this.
  12. el_coyotte

el_coyotte

Terry, I know this very nice cap, I had a Ford Pilot V8. My Ford had it as a radiator cap.

Little Terry likes this.
  13. Little Terry

Little Terry

I have had a change of heart on the fuel tank fitment. A slight tweak to the body braces has allowed me to squeeze the tank between them and mount it conventionally. I have a couple of tractor ‘dashboards’ that I will trim to suit the step in the floor and will allow me to use the Fordson straps to hold the tank in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It will put the outlet for the tank in a reachable but well protected position.

I still haven’t decided on the dash layout!

Tim, loudbang, waxhead and 2 others like this.
  14. That tank is such a perfect fit. Looks good as you have it now.

Little Terry and loudbang like this.
  15. getow

getow

Yep i like better that way too

Little Terry likes this.
  16. getow

getow

Hey let me ask you, how tall are you? Im 6'2". I actually decided to move my 28 body from stock frame to my hotrod setup. I grinded all the rivits and went 5 inches back which put my seat pan equal to the door braces. I just took a closer look at yours and it looks identical. If i figure out how to post pics, id show ya. My body is on a motorcycle lift right now. Theres no steering column or pedals in place now, but i did drive it 3 days ago. Ha. I sat in it with the pan moved and it felt great. Should of did it along time ago.

17. Little Terry

Little Terry

I’m 5’ 10”

I would be interested to see your setup. As you will have noticed, my layout is pretty fluid at the moment!

loudbang likes this.
  18. Little Terry

Little Terry

I had a go at setting up the tank brackets this evening.

First I got one of the tractor dashboards set up in the mill. I decided I only needed to take a 2” channel out of the back of each one to clear the body braces. That and machine down the centre boss on the front face.

[​IMG]

I think they worked out pretty well. I just need to drill the sub rails for the fixings and make a few spacers to level them up.

You can see the steel tank straps in these pictures. Once I have everything cleaned up and painted, there will be some protective webbing between the tank and the brackets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If I cut a shallow well in the floor panel, I should be able to get the battery to sit underneath the tank, with a cover over it and not have it hanging below the chassis rail. I currently have 6” clearance between floor and the underside of the tank at the lowest point.

cederholm, 35cab, brEad and 1 other person like this.
  19. getow

getow

I think they worked out great. I like em. I just tried to upload a pic. Always says error has occurred, IMG_20200620_131137234.jpg. Dont know how to get past it? Any ideas?

20. Little Terry

Little Terry

Are you using postimage to host your pictures?

21. getow

getow

I goto upload a file, click on pic, then get the error.

22. getow

getow

Dont worry about it, ill figure it out eventually

23. Little Terry

Little Terry

No idea, sorry!

24. AHotRod

AHotRod

Keep pushing forward Mark, we are rooting for you!

25. Little Terry

Little Terry

Thanks - that’s good to know.

AHotRod and loudbang like this.
  26. Little Terry

Little Terry

This is what I did to the cast dashboards with the mill in order to slot them into position

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And it was another good mail day today!....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will notch out and weld in some 1/2” tube nuts to level up the fuel tank brackets, so the fronts will be screwed down from above. The rear holes I can bolt straight through the subrails. I may add some cross bracing to the standing face to strengthen against side to side movement. Some internal tank baffles would also help I expect.

brEad, 35cab, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  27. Little Terry

Little Terry

Not much more to report, but a fair bit of fiddling about.....

You can just see in this shot where I have welded some 1/2" bungs to the subrails so that I can bolt in the cast brackets for the tank.
    [​IMG]

Given the whole area some paint, so that i can bolt them in and leave them, once done as they are pretty awkward to install.
    [​IMG]

Settled on a final layout for the dash, which is a bit of a compromise btween the various options i have tried out
    [​IMG]

Trimmed, drilled and trial fitted the sun visor.
    [​IMG]

And I was wondering about making a spoon style throttle pedal, so found out some raw materials for when I get to that part.
    [​IMG]

X38, brEad, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  28. redoxide

redoxide

As always its looking great . Your making it look easy Mark, its barelling along , dash looks cool, I better get a pallet together with the stuff here for you, youll be needing it soon :)

29. Little Terry

Little Terry

Don’t worry, there’s plenty to be going on with! The only thing I’m wondering about is whether to swap out the steering box for the F1, being as she’s going to be fenderless to begin with. No worries, I will give you a shout for supplies when I’ve run out of things to do!

tintin and loudbang like this.
  30. getow

getow

Looking good. What radiator did you get to fit the 28/29 grill shell? And does it actually fill the shell? I bought a radiator for a 30/31 shell and it was kinda skinny and didn't fill the shell side to side. I cut and pinched the 31 shell. Worked well actually and it peaked the point thats in the middle at the top. I like it alot but now want to use my 28 shell so i can run a top hood and cant seem to find a rad wide enough. Any toughts?