Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***October 2020 Banger Meet Thread - Spooky Month & Year***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Oct 1, 2020.

1. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got that stuck steering wheel loose off the shaft. Bet it's the first time off since Henrys crew installed it. 1603835234541.jpeg

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. 97

Mean piston speed is what you are talking about , if it was just piston speed you would be talking about zero twice every revolution , and IMHO when the piston speed is zero , everything is at it's biggest risk!

3. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

What's the deal with both Brierley (My Personal Savior) and Neilson both being . . . wait . . . wait . . . Mazda racers?

4. Stan,
    You completely missed the Briggs and Strap-on period. That was fun............
    J

Jet96 likes this.
  5. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Talking improved ports...one intake for each cylinder; improving intake ports (shorter and straighter) for better flow, thereby improving Fords basic B output HP is done with two or more ways. Maybe best is full flow OHV head(s). Next might be reconfigure the A/ B blk to have intake for each cyl. While at it , make more direct intake flow. The old timer racer/builders/machinist used this method, I’ve been informed , successfully. LOT of work taking big brain skills. Was this method worth effort , dont know ?
    Sadly, most of old timers didn't leave written instruction(s) of their methods, successes and/ or experiences.
    More valves /cams worked for more power, but more complicated ....how durable/reliable ?
    Which method used is a personal choice.
    IMO, more direct intakes full crossflow ohv bigger intake valves with best comb chamber design, will pay best HP return for the $.
    The question is... where to get such head !
    The combustion chamber that Neilson shows on that head... looks real good to me.

Old Dawg likes this.
  6. Agreed!

I can't claim to be "The Brightest Bulb in the Chandelier"; but I would add to the above list: that a complete flow design includes consideration of "The Reverse Impulse" to the intake ports and manifold. Time and time again, I see a log manifold (mostly a cast aftermarket item) that doesn't have end caps that take up the negative pressure. Fuel injection obviates the need of such things! The older boys also told me that polishing intake ports can cause a laminar flow; a barrier that's good for airfoil lift on aircraft, but inhibits intake flow due to something called "Parasitic Drag"). They said that the ports should be smooth; but bead blasted! Also they preached that exhaust systems should not be ignored. Size and lengths of the primaries to a collector should be fitted to power and torque characteristics of the engine. The number an firing order of the engine's cylinders will also be a consideration! Example: my engine SHOULD have 44" primaries, collected from cylinders 1 & 2; then at the 44" mark, collected with 3 & 4. (But mine, on my engine, are NOT)

Who are "The Older Boys"! Two were contemporaries of each other (and sometime mentors to me): My uncle, John McKusick, a Tool & Die maker; and producer of Stu-V Speed Equipt. The other was Art Sparks. Sparks along with Ed Winfield pioneered the "Two Up/Two Down" Model T engine in the 20's! Mr. Sparks produced a Supercharged 336 C.I.D. DOHC engine that in 1938 pushed his built race car to break all records at Indy. A smaller version of this engine was in the 1946 winning car. Later Sparks built the 1st forged pistons; Forge-True! Neither of the two had a "Flow Bench"

Sir Harry Ricardo began research on the Internal Combustion Engine around the turn of the 19th to 20th Century. He wrote volumes outlining his work. You can get the equation used to calculate the design of you particular engine. Below is the Sparks-Thorne "Little Six"! 183 C.I.D. Supercharged, sister to the 1946 winning car at Indy!
    Sspark-thorne-little-six-rda3818.jpg

7. John,
    explain why the Winfield "two up/two down" was so much of an improvement. It really is interesting.

Also, I agree Art Sparks was good, it is too bad only two of those heads were ever made. I was looking at one recently, too bad it is so cracked up. And, you probably cannot tell, but that is the head in the avatar.

There will soon be a very good head coming out, 4 port and a good combustion chamber.

J

PS, Hardtimes, that head is not so good, streetable yes, not a race head.

8. The two, Ed Winfield and Art Sparks; came up with the "Two up/Two down" crank and timing about the same time. I don't know if they collaborated! They lived a worked just a few miles apart, Ed lived and worked at his mother's house in La Canada; and Art lived and taught auto and machine shop at Glendale high school. They both were hot rodders and racers. Art had quit driving after the car he built flipped over at a dirt track out in Banning. From then on he hired drivers.

The "Two up/Two down" eliminates the having two intake valves open at the same time; as is with the crank and firing order of our ford "Bangers" 1243! A friend of mine. Rick Rawlins, has a reconstruction of the Winfield car and engine. It IS faster and it has a different sound! The Sparks engine I last knew was somewhere in the San Fernando valley in a hot rod owned by Bud Pagiluisi (I think that's how it's spelled).

GuyW likes this.
  9. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

There is a picture in one of the last few FAST publications. It shows Rick Rawlins , and two other gentlemen.... one of which is the man who re-created the famous Winfield 2up/2down. He said that that engine SHOOK hard at idle and had an odd sound running.
    At higher rpm the engine ran smoother.
    For racing only , or highway use ?
    I heard an old timer story that Winfield drove this engine to a race.... down the ‘grapevine’ to Bakersfield. With a cop trying to catch up to him and couldn’t for many miles due to the high speed that Winfield maintained. True or false ? Depends on how well that 2up/2down ran ...my guess.
    BTW...that builder in that picture, is my mentor /builder. Nice guy...he says 250hp !
    Who am I to argue the 2up/2down builder ?

Old Dawg likes this.
  10. guitarguy

guitarguy

That was written in an article by the late Chris Egsgaard about Winfield. I was trying to post the article, but having trouble. Will try later.

In the mean time, here is a link to Les Schubert in Canada doing a 2 up 2 down on a T engine:
    https://www.mtfca.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16746

Jet96 and Old Dawg like this.
  11. railcarmover

railcarmover

Love the crosby clips...why chew up the wheel :)

12. Well, yes, the two up/two down does sound different, mainly because the four cylinders are getting an equal charge of fuel and air. Our ran pretty good, had some port wall issues and stopped, filled the ports and put on a 4 port Cragar from Dan Price. Of course we modified the crap out of it.

This one didn't shake all that hard, I suppose the reduced counter weight was a consideration.

IMG_0311.JPG

13. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

amazing john ........... simply amazing

14. guitarguy

guitarguy

I have a question, I see the middle mains are pressure fed, are the front and rear mains also?

15. Yes, you are looking at #2 and #4, fed from bottom of girdle.
    1,3,5 (front center rear ) are fed from the top in the block.

J

16. Who's girdle is that? Yours?

17. Yes, this was one of the first, on gen 3 now.
    Good in stock, John

18. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Notice the five (5) mains !
    Wondering what type blk (B?) used here ?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    Old Dawg likes this.
  19. Yes, "B" block, "A" block is too much work to get advantage of this.

J

Old Dawg likes this.
  20. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I've got some catching up to do. I was loosing hope that the effort to go fast had left us. (channeling Bluto)

Old Dawg and Jet96 like this.
  21. RussTee

RussTee

Dan once you have your new block there will be no stopping you cant wait to see what ou come up with haha be nice to see a hidden Hal 2 cam appear love to see a modern build with one of those.

Old Dawg and Crazydaddyo like this.
  22. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

B883BFFE-7CC2-4749-9CC9-D5D26529BA8D.jpeg I hate to shift the thread to low-tech... Went out looking for leaf piles to kill tonight, roadster is running absolutely mint! Might get my sweetie to go out in it on Halloween, this will be the first year in about 15 that it's supposed to be nice and not 10° and 40 mph winds!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    winduptoy, Old Dawg and Mikko_ like this.
  23. noboD

noboD

AND there's a full moon.

Old Dawg and Jet96 like this.
  24. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Also a blue moon... second full moon in a calendar month.

Old Dawg likes this.
  25. PhredH

PhredH

Enjoy! Bangers love the cool night air.

26. railcarmover

railcarmover

Im with ya, gonna rip it up this evening myself.. hangar1.jpg

27. railcarmover

railcarmover

gotta run the junk..the wife? no...the 4 year old grandson? everytime I go..

Old Dawg and Jiminy like this.
  28. Jiminy

Jiminy

Priceless.

29. railcarmover

railcarmover

You know it brother..

30. Jiminy

Jiminy