Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical (found) Wheel bearing help central Minnesota

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Oct 23, 2020.

1. squirrel

squirrel

HI folks. I'm off on another adventure, in a car that I should not be driving. It has a 63 Tempest chassis, although the body is off topic (1970s home built sports car). Anyways one of the rear wheel bearings went out on it, and I need to find help to swap it out. I have a used 1961 axle/control arm/hub assembly from a junkyard, but the axles is a different length, I think. I'm at a hotel in Paynesville, MN. I talked to the local repair shops, no one could work on it this afternoon for me.

I'm hoping someone in the area with some equipment and possibly fabrication skills can help me out. I believe that a special press adapter is needed to remove the bearing. I plan to use the "new" bearing on the old axle. This is all pretty iffy, and the axle might be damaged, I don't know yet, I still have to pull it out of the car. It's also friggen' cold, as you know if you're here.

I'll post more info and pics soon. My brother has asked for help for me on the corvair forum, I think they use the same bearing

2. catdad49

catdad49

Good Luck, Jim!

Stogy, 41 GMC K-18 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. Let's keep this near the top for Jim. He has helped countless individuals over the years. Hopefully someone nearby can help him now...........Don.

Woogeroo, flatheadpete, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  4. catdad49

catdad49

Jim, does the Minn. Street Rod Assn. have a website, maybe with phone #’s?

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

great suggestion. I don't know. I need to go out and pull the axle now before the sun goes down, then I can check it out

6. 3340

Bump this up!! Please

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Is it this one? :D Sorry i can't help. Hope you have a good heater.
    [​IMG]

8. oldolds

oldolds

Years ago when I belonged to NSRA they had a Fellowpages book. It had a list of names, towns and phone numbers of people willing to help out in an emergency. Is that still a thing? Can someone help out?

9. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I'm looking up members of the Pontiac Oakland club. They are real strong at that way..

Try this number. I have no idea if this will work but it beats a blank. Maybe he could refer you to a honest garage..

BOP Engineering
    N3651 Schmidt Rd
    Jefferson WI 53549-9768
    Phone (920) 674-6058

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  10. squirrel

squirrel

that's the car, but this is the problem area. I might need a puller to get the yoke off the other end of the axle, so I can remove the axle from the car. It's a light press fit, and probably has been on there for decades

axle.jpg

11. flatford39

flatford39

12. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Maybe if anybody had a copy of their Linechaser handy they could look up a reputable shop or parts store in the area for him.

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

squirrel and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

15. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I wish I could help you out on this one, and I do know how cold it gets up there. You're not in Arizona anymore. I wish you the best of luck and remember, There are no problems too big, only hammers too small.

Sent from my SM-G973U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Jim, I am about an hour from you. Do you need any help or tools? I would bet that Skip from French lake auto parts would have an axle for you. I will call him

Packrat, warbird1, Stogy and 21 others like this.
  17. Back to the top for Jim.

Stogy, lothiandon1940 and Speed Gems like this.
  18. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

@squirrel I put the word out for you an the MSRA Facebook page. Could you Msg. me your contact info so maybe some one close can help you.

19. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

20. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I talked to Skip at french lake and he said you were already there and got parts? If you need help I will drive out and bring tools if needed and give you a hand

Kiwi 4d, catdad49, Stogy and 17 others like this.
  21. theboss20

theboss20

Most any machine shop can pull and press an axel bearing even if it needs something unique...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

22. DDDBC495-0EB0-471A-BE91-C56F78E01512.gif

Hey squirrel pay attention you got a gentleman and a scholar wanting to help !
    Say the word bird, say the word.

The HAMB kicks ass

23. squirrel

squirrel

thanks everyone! I got the axle from Skip earlier today, it's a 61, and the axle is different than the 63 in the car. The tricky part is to use the wheel bearing off the 61 axle, I need to have a bearing pulling tool that has a lip that reaches up into the bearing.

this is one tool you can buy to do it...the blocks bolt together.

puller.jpg

Also, there's a fellow I know in St Cloud who offered to give me a ride to his shop, where they have a press.

24. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Maybe since the 61 axle is too long you can simply cut the axle flange off in a band saw (tape up the bearing to keep the filings out) and press the bearing off fully supported with the flange out of the way???

25. squirrel

squirrel

great idea...thanks!

I can't think when it's cold out.

48fordnut, catdad49, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  26. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

27. squirrel

squirrel

thanks again for the idea. Will let you know what happens.

A fellow I know from Drag Week is heading down here now to see what we can do to fix it.

28. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Jim I just sent you the number of a MSRA member in Paynesville, maybe he can get you some help. Don' t know him buy I am a member also and checked the membership year book. There about a dozen members in that town. Larry

29. oldolds

oldolds

Any possibility you can shorten the axle and not have to disturb the bearing?

30. squirrel

squirrel

Looks like hollanders confused me. The axle I got is the correct length, no need to swap the bearing. I got a ride to a shop and Used the press and torch to get the yokes off both of them, and greased the new bearing. I'll see if I can put it back together in the morning.

Sent from my Trimline

Woogeroo, catdad49, Stogy and 15 others like this.