Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Colour Sanding and Polishing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fortunateson, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Can someone wait too long before colour sanding and polishing urethane paint? Everything but the body tub has been painted two weeks ago. I couldn't get around to starting the processo for a variety of reasons. But then I thought maybe just wait until the body tub is finally painted. If I wait to long to colour sand and buff will I be creating problems? I figure to start off with 1500 grit, ? next grit, and finally Trizac and then polish...

2. No. Some paints will get harder over time so it may be more work but generally there is no outside window for colour sanding and polishing.

tb33anda3rd and flatford39 like this.
  3. Help me out. Is color sanding just wet sanding or something more exotic?

Ben

4. Sanding your new paint to eliminate flaws or texture, prior to buffing

kidcampbell71 likes this.

5. ‘Color Sanding’.
    As in sanding ‘color ‘ not primer.

6. I have color sanded parts that have been painted with urethane for well over a month- some things painted year prior- no problem but the surface may be a little harder. Different paint brands may be harder to do but I have not encountered a problem as yet

7. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I may start next week then. A panel a day will keep the (fill in blank here... ). I quite like colour sanding kind of like polishing stainless, a little zen like.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    Happydaze likes this.
  8. oldolds

oldolds

You should be good. 1500 grit, then move 500 at a time to 3000. Put some tape over sharp edges and body lines as you go so you do not sand and buff thru when you are not paying attention to them.

jimmy six and big duece like this.
  9. You should have no problems except the paint will be harder. As a side note, we buffed as soon as we could in the collision shop because of time allowances. I usually wait 2 weeks or more now that it’s my hobby. The shine is a little harder to achieve but.... the shine will be way less likely to die back or haze, and will hold its shine much better.

kidcampbell71 and big duece like this.
  10. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Good tips which I always follow!

jimmy six likes this.
  11. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Many years ago some people used white gas for color sanding, because it would dry quicker than water so they could see their progress. In the boy shop we usually color-sanded the next morning then buffed, if we painted on Friday we always came in Saturday to suit and buff. If you waited till Monday it took longer to cut and buff because the paint was noticeable harder, because time was $$$$. What Bugguts said there is a chance for die back is true.

kidcampbell71 and stillrunners like this.
  12. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I suppose that waiting a little longer might make it a little harder to bugger something up as the paint will be harder. And again, would there be much difference between waiting even longer than a month, say three months? I presume it fully cures after a specific time and then it's done and would get no harder.

13. You could wait years if you wanted. No problem. Many newer used cars are buffed and they may have been painted years earlier.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When you don’t see any marks, orange peal, with 3000 then you can start with the buffer. Each step finer change the pad. My first paint job was so bad I had to start with 600.... but it turned out great for a black race car.

Fortunateson and Nicholas Coe like this.
  15. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Well my first paint job was an metallic Centari and had one little run and no tiger stripes. Scraped that off with a razor blade and all was good! My second was with BASF I think and that was a temporary disaster. I was shooting the third coat and it was looking really nice and then my young son came into the shop to see what Daddy was doing. I had on a remote air supply and asked him to leave. He couldn't understand me with the mask so I finally yelled at him. I felt bad about that but even worse when he slammed the door and all manor of crap descended onto the fresh paint. Stopped painting and cleaned the gun.

About two weeks later I went to inspect the damage. My Tbird looked like it was flocked! All well, out came the 600, 1000, 1500, and 2000. Then the polishing... looked better that my first paint job!

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  16. oldolds

oldolds

A drop or two of soap in the bucket of water helps stop the paper from clogging.

Bugguts likes this.
  17. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I always wait at least 2 weeks, usually a month. Much harder to do, but the results tend to stay exactly like I finish. The shine doesn't drop off, fog up, or light scratching appearing, like when you do it sooner.

Nicholas Coe, Bugguts and wfo guy like this.