Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice period Garage there @J.Ukrop perfect for your vintage Hotrod Build and its Lookin' Good...;)

J.Ukrop likes this.
  2. The windshield stanchion you have pictured is for a standard roadster. If you doors sag at the rear, put shims at under the bottom of the cowl next to the door jamb. That is what we had to do for my first roadster.

Woogeroo, Stogy, J.Ukrop and 2 others like this.
  3. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

IMG_1054.jpg
    "Joey, looks like you got some tires!" That's a great thing to hear in the middle of the work day. I now have the fronts, and I'm waiting on the rear tires, tubes and the rim strips. The trim rings were provided by Charlie at North Palm Speed.

4. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

IMG_1058.jpg
    One of the most fun parts of building this car is digging up San Francisco hot rodding history. I spotted these jack stands on Craigslist a couple months ago and tonight I finally got them. I bought them from a gentleman named Nick who lives in the Monterey Heights neighborhood. The story goes that back in the 1950s and early-'60s he was a member of the Pitmen (?) car club here in San Francisco. In those days, he drove a heavily channeled, pink Deuce roadster with a 59AB flathead. I asked him if he had any photos and he shook his head. "We just didn't take a lot of pictures of stuff back then." He does, however, still have a 1953 Studebaker. I wasn't able to see it on this trip. Maybe some other time?

He said the jack stands are made from 1932 Ford axle bells. He cut them with a torch, welded on the handles and had them sandblasted with full intent of painting them. "As you can see, that never happened," he said. "Instead, I put them right into service!" Surface rust aside, I think they'll be a good addition to my shop.

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Great progress! I always like seeing my car up on some axle tube jack stands. Just something about it makes it feel even more like a time warp.

and the ones @porknbeaner has are tall enough that we can easily fit our fat heads under my low cars lol.

On the LED note if people are still thinking about that, Costco has good a killer deal every once in a while and they’re like $13 or something. Maybe less. They’ve got pull chains and you can daisy chain multiples together as well. I always buy a few when they go on sale.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    Dannerr, Big mike 1968, lewk and 8 others like this.
  6. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

It's a moral imperative!

Big mike 1968, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  7. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Joey.
    Did you get the PM I sent to you?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Yes! I've been caught up in a lot of things editorially, but I'll get back to you tomorrow!

catdad49 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  9. Early Ford axle tubes were the things to use way back then. They stood up well, and don't fail you when it is important not to fail. Plus, on a good solid concrete floor, they can hold a lot of weight.

10. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

11. winduptoy and J.Ukrop like this.
  12. jim snow

jim snow

13. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

just got a lesson in tire mounting... those new tires wrapped in plastic won't open enough to make an air seal when mounting them tubeless... so put a tube in it without a rim, pump it up big and let it set for a few days... tube on the shelf, waiting on a 165 75R 15"...'51 ford car rim...

14. Much as I enjoy a high skill build of a killer car, something about this thread just warms my heart. Of course I am not saying your car is not killer.

15. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Good info for sure. I talked to the tire shop who have been working with hot rods since the 1960s and they recommended tubes and rim strips for them. I'm taking that route.

Thank you. I'm just working to build the most straightforward early hot rod and learning along the way. Some days are certainly easier than others!

ct1932ford, catdad49, Tim and 5 others like this.
  16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@J.Ukrop, second week of November I will be moving into my new shop space. That will unearth all of the trapped items that I have in storage. I will dig out the juice backing plates, and see if I have any other goodies that will fit your project.

17. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Yesterday was a full and very fun day. On Friday night, I could hardly sleep because I was so excited to wake up early and work on my car. Does that ever happen to you guys?

First and foremost, I rolled it out of the garage and fired it up. It started easily and sounded good. Next, I got everything in position to test all five '35 Ford wire wheels for runout. Safety measures included a swept driveway, jack stands (4x), wheel chocks, jack in position under the axle and two friends nearby. Before working, I leaned on it pretty hard and it did not budge. With that sorted out, I proceeded.
    IMG_1094.jpg
    IMG_1095.jpg
    IMG_1096.jpg
    IMG_1098.jpg

18. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Excellent! Can't wait. Thank you!

Outback likes this.
  19. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The verdict on the wheels? Out of the five, three seemed to be good according to my primitive measuring system. One appeared to be okay-ish and one was bad. Interestingly enough, the worst one was one of the original paint ones. That's just the way it goes.

So do I have a full set? Hard to say. I'm going to go down to Andy's Tires and Wheels in South San Francisco on Monday morning. They handle all the rolling stock for Roy Brizio's builds and they know their stuff. I'm really hoping that I'll be able to use them. If not, I'm back on the hunt.

With the wheel off, I decided to take a look at the brakes just for fun. It's no surprise, but they've seen better days. I was surprised to see yellow shoes. Were these stock or an early aftermarket replacement? Either way, it became immediately clear why the braking left a bit to be desired.
    IMG_1102.jpg IMG_1103.jpg IMG_1104.jpg
    Once I get the wheel situation sorted, I'll clean and sand everything. I'll mic the drums to see if they're within spec, and then I think I'm going to buy new brake shoes all around.

catdad49, Tim, Outback and 6 others like this.
  20. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Finally, I took this photo just because I though the car looked nice sitting there in my driveway. It got lots of attention from the neighbors yesterday—that's for sure! IMG_1106.jpg

21. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Oh, I almost forgot the most important part! You know I had to do a quick mockup with the new tires and the windshield. IMG_1101.jpg

22. carothersbs

carothersbs

That’s awesome

Thank you.
    Brian C.
    Reno NV

chryslerfan55 and J.Ukrop like this.
  23. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

@J.Ukrop Those appear to be aftermarket "bonded" brake linings. The original ones are a woven, riveted type. The bonded material is too hard and doesn't work as well. (too much pedal effort) Check out a Model A vendor such as Brattons or, closer yet, Sacramento Vintage. They can help out.

catdad49, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  24. Any upgrades to steering and brakes? I might have missed that part.

Sent from my SM-N960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When you say bad, how bad? How far off was each?

26. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Three seemed to be within 1/8th of an inch as measured by the lip and have no major wobble. The inner portions seemed straight and true. One has a slightly wavy lip and the last one seemed pretty lopsided. Like 1/4-inch or more. I’ve only done this with motorcycle wheels so this is pretty new to me. As mentioned earlier, these will be installed with tubes.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

catdad49 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  27. Sometimes that wavy lip can be improved with a tire iron and a hammer.

28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of these can be of help, too: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Steel-Wheel-Rim-Repair-Wrench-Tool,2691.html

At $20.99, it is pretty easy on the wallet.

29. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Put the best ones on the front. As has been said rims can be straightened - to a point. Love your build!

chryslerfan55, catdad49 and J.Ukrop like this.