Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Simple speed tricks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Sunoco 260, "that blue gas, man!"

2. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

I had to look up what gas line antifreeze was... it don't get cold enough down here for anyone to sell it. :D

Looks like it is mainly methanol. I guess with an alky/gas mix in the tank, the guys could wind the timing out a bit without knocking.

Cheers,
    Harv

loudbang likes this.
  3. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A friend had a wreck and took his hood off. He rerouted his windshield washer hose over the driver’s front fender. At a stop light one time some guys gave him crap about his dented car. He pushed the button, bullseye! Right in the face of that guy.

Oh, and it seemed to go faster after that.

Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  4. Budget36

Budget36

Anyone mention turns the side mirrors in to lessen drag? Always thought it helped staying straight too;)

jimmy six, lurker mick and loudbang like this.
  5. Probably gotta make sure both are at the same angle or it could push the car one way or another :D

chargin03, scotty t, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  6. Ah i never owned anything that was actually fast, but bygod they were to me. My late model daily driver pickup with a 5.7 hemi would probably smoke my 57, but we'll never know lmao. Sometimes i wish i was a tuner, but i chose autobody lol. Guess I'd rather look good going slow ;)

scotty t and loudbang like this.
  7. So we did unhook the back brakes on an old C10 i had, pulled the hard line out of the block at the rear rubber hose, cut the head off of a nail and stuck it in the line, hooked it back up. Instant roll control baby! Wasted those back tires that night ;)

8. Aviation Gas would kick up the octane to 145.

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  9. wulf powis

wulf powis

Thanks for the memories! I had forgotten about the spring spacers we would put in the front springs to give the dragster look and then come in with a slinky dog slant after hitting a speed bump and losing a couple on one side. Oh for some more youth.

loudbang likes this.
  10. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I always thought the master of rule interpretation and fooling the tech crews was Smokey Yunik.......Lots of stories about his genius.

11. 6sally6

6sally6

Here's one "I heard" about from a tech guy at the local dirt track.....
    Guy was a consistent winner but no matter how many times he was protested(tore down) nobody could figure out his trick.
    (THE TRICK).......
    They ran a VERY illegal camshaft BUT....under the engine beside the oil pan and under the header he welded a 2.5" section of pipe. Inside the pipe he had an oily stock/legal camshaft. Whenever he was protested, and did a tear down, they would pull the oily legal cam out(still hot like the one in the engine!) and the tech guy would mic it and look it over and call it legal.......
    winner-winner chicken dinner!
    6sally6

verno30, Deuces and olscrounger like this.
  12. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Mine I guess was claimed 332 Cube solid lifter and was running 428 Cube solid lifter cam . Advance the cam timing on the timing chain . Painted my sidewinder engine color , never open the hood unless home alone . I had 2 Fairlanes same exact car , color , interior , trans , only difference one 289 one 427 or 428 . Want to play slip away , run home return with the big block . Remove spare tire jack , rear window regulators , battery into the trunk over right rear wheel . One extra leaf in rt rear spring . Different rate front springs , with flat plates on top mounting surface . 60s Ford guys will understand this . That light body car was about as ill handling as I have ever driven , I was just a kid and did not know the difference .

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  13. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

Some of the tech guys are pretty blind (our local drag strip checks little more than battery hold down), but it would be pretty hard to miss a 2.5"x1'6" length of waterpipe... especially on an engine know to be suspect.

Cheers,
    Harv

j hansen, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  14. Rodsports

Rodsports

Dana Barlow, very cool Mate, very cool.

dana barlow and loudbang like this.
  15. I think just owning this book/mag was good for 10-20 HP
    speed book.jpg

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  16. 1ton

1ton

A cheap set of headers with the mufflers hangin low, air shocks in the back with fat tires stickin out of the wheel wells. Good to go.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    Chicster, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  17. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Yes, that story sounds like a bench racing story told while enjoying a few cold beverages!

loudbang likes this.