Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical New Shop Stuff!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Oct 20, 2020.

1. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

IMG_1898.JPG IMG_1899.JPG

I bought a scissor lift and got it home today! I’m super excited about not working on my knees on cold concrete, laying on a creeper or trying to do bodywork on my back.
    The one thing I found is that a low car , like the DeSoto wagon, won’t clear the lift and I have to get some planks, but I’m stoked about it.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. flatford39

flatford39

How high is your ceiling?

flynbrian48 likes this.
  3. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your going to love that thing Brian! Had a buddy that had one and no place to put it so I offered him space in my garage for it. I loved the thing. Working on most anything from the cars trim line down sitting in a chair! Still miss it.

chryslerfan55 and flynbrian48 like this.
  4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Nice score . Any additional information? :)

flynbrian48 likes this.

5. Man! That’s going to be awesome.
    I purchased a QUICK JACK and love it.
    It’s so nice to not sit on the floor and be able to do body work comfortably, as well as tires and brake work.

flynbrian48 likes this.
  6. Can you show us a pic of something lifted up on it? What is the access like underneath?
    Looks very portable which is a bonus

leadfoot1000 likes this.
  7. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I haven’t had a chance yet. I need to make some ramps to drive over it, my DeSoto wagon won’t clear it. Tomorrow I should be able to get that done and we’ll see how it works. IMG_1662.JPG

8. Wow. The Desoto can go on that ??? Better build the ramps, to lift your balls first !! Holy hell .. them some big ones !!

**Never pictured those lifts for heavy stuff. Good to know. ( balls & Desoto .. by the way ) :rolleyes:;)

9. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

It's capable of 6,000#. The DeSoto is a delicate creature, tipping the scales at just over 4,000 originally. It's (hopefully) considerably lighter without the cast iron lump it originally had between the front wheels. That lump is going into my "new" Model A project, for which I am envisioning the lift doing duty as a frame table. I like little cars, but in my old age I've come to appreciate a big comfortable car that handles and stops too. ;) IMG_0618.JPG

10. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

It was $1500, just over $2K retail, the shop owner said they ordered it for a customer who insisted on a blue one, then backed out after they got it for him (they don't stock this particular make, the ones they sell are black). After setting in the showroom all summer, he said he decided to try a FB Marketplace ad. I saw it minutes after he posted it and called with a deposit. He told me he's sold 3 lifts since, from that ad, at retail. A big plus for me was they'd assembled it, and filled it with hydraulic fluid, so that, in addition to saving $500, made it pretty attractive. My shop ceiling won't accommodate a two post, and I thought the posts would be in the way for doing body work. This has the disadvantage of blocking access below for, say, a transmission change, but I can pay somebody to that if I need to...

11. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

8'6". Two inches shy of accommodating a two post lift. I think this will be fine, although I won't be able to get a full lift, 55", with a big car like the wagon or my RAM pickup.

12. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Thanks for the reply and info . Good food for thought. Enjoy it . :)

kidcampbell71 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. Budget36

Budget36

How stable are those? I’d be thinking about making some outriggers for it?

14. Thats cool, I may have to look into that

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. Oilguy

Oilguy

I had a similar unit except a different brand. Used it when rebuilding the front suspension and steering on one of my cars. I would have been lost without it
    But sold it when I bought a 4 post with a sliding jack. Hoping I could do it all with that set-up.

16. goldmountain

goldmountain

Since I have a low ceiling garage, I am intrigued by these. Other than working on changing tires, brakes, and bodywork on the rocker panels, what are they good for?

17. Been thinking of one of those as well. Was wondering if the tread width of vehicle is wide enough to clear it on either side? That way could lay some 2 by 6 down, and just drive along on those to get clearance, and set up car.
    Post pictures in use, please.

hotrodharry2 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

IMG_1900.JPG IMG_1901.JPG

Upsie-daisies.

19. RMONTY

RMONTY

Nice! I want one instead of my 2' x2' plywood boxes.

20. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

To my way of thinking, just those reasons should be enough to make it a good investment. Let’s add to those: using it as a completely adjustable frame table, doing suspension work, oil changes, chassis lube and service, cleaning and detailing, undercoating, rust repair to floors, body mounts, exhaust work, the list is as long as miserable jobs I’ve done laying on my back.

21. flatford39

flatford39

I guess the planks are just a guide as to where to place the car or am I missing something??

22. Budget36

Budget36

I think for clearance

23. Budget36

Budget36

I don’t want you to try and push it over;). But with 4klbs in the air like that, do you feel it’s stable up there?

24. Jokester

Jokester

You could always let the car down on stands, drag the lift out, and do any kind of work you wanted to.

.bjb

25. Budget36

Budget36

But makes an expensive floor jack;)

26. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've seen these installed in garages that have a rectangular depression of about 4" in the concrete. That way there is no need for planks to get onto the lift.

It probably would work great if configured in the construction phase of a garage build. Otherwise, the planks will have to do.

27. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Call a concrete cutter and slice a rectangle in your garage floor, dig it out a bit pour a new pad and sink that scissor lift into the floor. Everything you own will roll over it nice and easy.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  28. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@lonejacklarry I stopped to answer a call and by the time I hit send you had beat me to the uptake. Nice!

29. goldmountain

goldmountain

If you were to do it in the construction stage, you might as well build a taller shop to run a regular hoist.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Jibs and lonejacklarry like this.
  30. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Rock steady.