Register now to get rid of these ads!

Alberta new guy with my first traditional build

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by SketchyLuck, Oct 20, 2020.

1. SketchyLuck

SketchyLuck

Just picked up the 1930 Tudor this weekend.. hoping to start slowly building it. Planning on chopping 3”, and putting a ford y block or flattie in her.. any build thread recommendations would be super appreciated.
    Thanks guys,
    IMG_3097.JPG IMG_3099.JPG IMG_3090.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Petejoe likes this.
  2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

3. SketchyLuck

SketchyLuck

Thanks! What would you suggest? Staying with a flathead v8? My concern with the flathead is that I’m planning driving the car on Longer trips, and would a flathead make enough power in stockish form to be comfortable at highway speeds?

4. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. The flatties did well all the way into the 50's. They still will. For hwy speeds it is not so much power that makes it better, it is gear ratio's & tire sizes. For modern speeds on the hwy's you should up grade the brakes to Hydraulic if yours still has the mechanical operated brakes.
    I have a friend with several Model A's and his gets down the Hwy real well even with the 4 cyl engine. He has either changed ring & pion ratio or added an overdrive and in some he has upgraded the intake & carb and changed or reworked the head.
    Good luck with your project and keep us updated with info and photo's as work progresses.
    Jimmie

SketchyLuck likes this.

5. SketchyLuck

SketchyLuck

Yeah, I’m absolutely going hydraulic brakes and dropping it a bit lower and such.. I was thinking of potentially bolting a flathead to a t5 with an adaptor, and using a modern diff (8 or 9”)?

6. Welcome from Illinois. Looking forward to watching your progress on the rod.

@krylon32 sells the parts needed to adapt t5 to the flathead.
    Phil

SketchyLuck likes this.
  7. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Depends on what your plans are.
    Do you want A/C?
    My 37 owned 20 yrs has been driven on vacations all over the Northeast.
    As far as NY, Virginia , Illinois, Michigan , PA , Indiana, WV and Kentucky.
    A change of gearing or an overdrive tranny will get you to the speeds that are comfortable.
    But An A/C will rob your power
    Need extras? Consider a early SB.

8. SketchyLuck

SketchyLuck

No, it’s definitely going to be bare bones.. I’m leaning more towards the flathead.. thanks for your time. If you don’t mind me asking what are you using for a tranny and rear end

9. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

All original.
    It’s a Old Nebraska car. So I’m guessing it has tall highway gears. Never measured it. But I’d guess 354’s

SketchyLuck likes this.
  10. goldmountain

goldmountain

Alberta covers a lot of territory. North? South?

11. SketchyLuck

SketchyLuck

Central, just east of Edmonton,