Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flyin' Brick II build & race thread. (ex-Flyin' Brick car)

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by Old6rodder, May 8, 2013.

1. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Glamorous bunch of gearheads.

2. spanners

spanners

Would you buy a car off these shifty types?

3. Casual 6

Casual 6
    from Great NW

Close up of the trophy.

[​IMG]

Crosley likes this.
  4. spanners

spanners

Congratulations to the winner. Nice looking truck. I wish I'd kept my '39 Chev p/up now.

5. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Howdy, been a bit since I posted last. Had a great time at Rocky's second meet last year, but only have one picture to show for it. Car ran strong, but Coleen's new mill in the Ford's just too much for me now. Have to put up a near perfect run just to keep up with her. Makes for really great racing. :) Wound up loosing all of'em to her. And had a blast doing it. :D

Here's the lone flic I got there.

75472731_2499062410129309_3416459730200035328_o.jpg

Really looking forward to this year's opener at Eagle Field. Hoping it doesn't get set back by the Kung Flu going around. Car whimpers at me every time I walk by the trailer, so I know the 'Brick's eager as well.

We snagged the "President's Award" award at the Rose Parade this year. Our "Ka La Hiki Ola" ("the dawning of a new day") float ran & showed beautifully. A letter perfect run, the animation ran sweet, the music was perfect, the dancers were great, and the folks loved'er.

Here're a couple pics ........

01-2020-Pres.jpg

02-2020-Pres.jpg

And here's a video taken where we were placed, in the "showcase" area, at post parade. The first minute & a half is us.

And, for those so inclined, here's a time lapse video of just the previous year's decorating.

So, another year into the books, and another year of cool races ahead on the calendar.
    Bring it on. :cool:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    Crosley likes this.
  6. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

The Floats are beautiful but the pic of you and the Brick is the best. Good hearing from you old6.

7. spanners

spanners

I like the photo of the Brick as well. I can't tell if Dick's grinning or shitting himself and holding on for dear life.

8. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Who is this Coleen and show us her Ford mill? 300?

9. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Yeah, still breathin', just a bit more carefully for now. :cool:

That'd be "grinnin", definitely an "s.e." grin. :D

Coleen's Joe's daughter. She's taken over Jeana's (Joe's granddaughter) HAMBster. It's now running a 5 main, 200 ci Ford (the 300's far too new for our class break). Technically, the 5 main 200's not a legit HA/GR either, but here on the coast we don't quibble that particular break. It's poked, shaved mucho, valved, and cammed silly, and between me & the 'brick we're spotting her around 300 lbs as well. The well massaged 170 Jeana was running in'er was about dead even with me after I added the tub body, and for several years we traded wins fairly regularly. But that mill finally bought it, and Joe replaced it with the 200. If the 'Brick doesn't sell, I'll have to bump'er up a bit 'til we're even again.

Don't have a recent pic of her car, but here's a vid from our best run in '17. It was the last run of the day, at sundown, and picturesque as all hell. We took turns missing gears, and crossed the line within each other's wheelbase. Killer end to a great day.

I know it sounds a tad weird to you hard core types, but I'd far & away rather lose a tight race than win a run away, any day. Wheel to wheel finishes're where my love of the sport is. And, yes, I do enjoy brackets, for that very reason (I just wish they were flagged & called :cool:).

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    Crosley likes this.
  10. spanners

spanners

You are quite correct Dick. It's the close run races that have you grinning the most when you pull up at the end of the run.

11. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Well, Kiddies, The first, and now the second of my normal "realstalgia" races have had to be cancelled this year. The third one's not looking very promising either. Here's hoping Nauseume gets his shit in his mess gear before the season's over.

Crosley likes this.
  12. spanners

spanners

I know how you feel. Last October I renewed both my ANDRA and IHRA certifications and licences and have raced once since. We have moved 6 hours from where we lived to a rural area with a long dirt driveway. If I can talk the neighbour into taking down a section of sheep paddock fence, I will have a braking area for testing.

Crosley likes this.
  13. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Hell, it's down a hill both directions from my place, all I get to do is make noise in front of the house. Even my driveway's too steep. :rolleyes:

Well, Kiddies, the third and fourth races for this year've now been cancelled, so that's four for four. Starting to look like the season could be a total wash. Still working on the float a bit, but it's not even looking likely that we'll have a Rose Parade for '21 either. Crap, any more of my hobbies this effing virus can screw over? :mad:
    :(

14. spanners

spanners

You can always take the car for a run down the hill and imagine the racket you could make coming back up.

15. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

We have been pretty lucky here in okla we have got 4 SDRA races in so far and another one coming up this weekend in Kansas. Most of the tracks have been small out of the limelight areas. Hope you guys get to race soon.

Crosley likes this.
  16. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Yeah, and it'd make even more of a racket when I crest the hill in a car less than three feet tall, opposite a normal one cresting the other way. :eek:
    Hmmm, might just be worth it. ;)

Sir Mac, I'm already jealous of your group. No need to rub it in farther. :D

17. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

No races, no parades, and the lone Eagle Field meet they managed to run this year is on a weekend I just lost. Hell, the only car shit I've been able to attend has been a couple "drive by" meets of a couple local car clubs. Can't even go bullshit with my oldest buddy. Might just possibly make it up to one of Butch's meets before the year's out, crewing on someone else's team yet.

I'll tell ya true, if I ever run across Father Time in the after life you can bet cash money I'll get even for 2020.

Crosley likes this.
  18. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Thinking you need to start a "Toad" thread in your spare time. It's coming together nicely.

19. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Well, Kiddies,

At least I'm finally to be allowed one race this year, of sorts. Chrysler Performance West's holding their car show/swap meet at the new 'Dale this weekend, as L.A. county isn't making local parks available due to C19. And in as much as it's a drag strip parking lot, they're allowing a T&T as well. Masks & distance of course, but today I rolled'er off the trailer, flamed'er, "oiled around" some, and waxed'er up a bit.

If this meet rains out I may give consideration to thinking about mulling over the idea of addressing the concept of the notion of the possibility of getting around to relative thoughts of going on a killing spree. I have some gopher candidates that've been chewing on the grass roots in the back yard. Those little varmints could yet live to regret their despicable deeds.

20. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Varmint killing is always a good way to release your frustrations. Been tempted to check out the 45-70 Buffalo gun on it's effectiveness for deleting some of the local Squirrel population while I'm waiting on parts for other projects.

21. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

YEAH!! Be sure to post pics or videos.

22. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

I had one of those 45-70 calvary rifles at one point in my life, I guarantee it will go thru 40 squirrels at once and probably 3 of your neighbors houses.:D:D

64 DODGE 440 likes this.
  23. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Well, that nice feeling was just shot to hell. Just got the e-mail that Irwindal city came down on the organizers, and shut it down. M/Fing bastards caved in to our SOB "government nauseum"s latest effort to stick it to Californians and try to blame it on the GOP.

Will start to practice visualizing his hated face on the varmints, that'll make setting the traps downright pleasurable.

At least the 'Brick's in good shape. And she enjoyed the attention. :cool:

24. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Think happy thoughts, take a hit of pixie dust and everything will be alright.

25. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

I think my pixie dust doobie may need to be rolled by Cheech. :)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    64 DODGE 440 likes this.
  26. spanners

spanners

That takes me back. Smokin!

27. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I was hoping to see you and other HA/GR cars at the Eagle Field drags earlier this month but alas, none were in attendance. Nevertheless had fun watching my son run his Ranchero.

28. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Yeah, Joe & Co. were at a family birthday party, and I had a must attend thing as well.
    Sucked big time. Had hopes of the Forever Four's Irwindale meet, but the city shut'em down a few days before.

Glad you're getting some in, though. :cool:

29. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Well, Kiddies, couple weekends ago we managed to get to the first meet Rocky managed to put on since the Kung Flu took over. Three days at Eagle Field helped to assuage at least a bit of the last year's disappointments. :)

Friday was T&Ts, flagged, and we ran quals for Carl's "Flatheads vs Inliners Clash" sub meet to set the ladder (this one was to be "bracket" style). Saturday went as meets sometimes do, and we only got two runs in, but it was on the tree, and enough to pick our dial-ins. Sunday was "do it day", but Murphy was in attendance, scuttling some hopes. However the 'Brick ran strong & consistent and, when the dust settled, brought the trophy home with us. :D

And here 'tis .....
    Trophy.jpg

My hairiest moment of the weekend was during the first T&T on Saturday. I was along side Joe, came out reasonably well at the flag, grabbed second gear, but only got the knob. Cussed, dropped it on the floor, and grabbed the lever, getting a bit sideways in the effort. Of course the race was already over, but the video is hilarious. :rolleyes:

All in all a great re-introduction to the hobby thanks to Rocky and his incredible crew at Eagle Field. I can't think of a better way to get back to anything approaching "normal". :cool:

Crosley likes this.
  30. spanners

spanners

Congrats to you Dick. You're making me green with envy. The whole Covid thing here is still rearing it's ugly head affecting travel to other states plus the whole nostalgia scene has gone quiet.