Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Do you drive ur custom

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by banditomerc, Oct 16, 2020.

1. banditomerc

banditomerc

I have always driven cars/projects as soon as they were road worthy. And would drive them regularly to do errands, to work,etc..but it seems,even here in car rich California that old cars are brought out for shows and the like then put away..
    I am currently building a 1940 mercury ,which will be a custom,I plan on driving it every chance I get once it's roadworthy,and customize as time and $ permits.
    What are ur thoughts gentlemen. Why don't you drive ur rides regularly or why do you drive them regularly?

Sent from my SM-T560NU using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

OzMerc39, betrevryday and dana barlow like this.
  2. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Weather permitting, I'll run errands or hit a local cruise night every chance I get. Most of the miles I racked up this summer were on 2 lane backroads, just cruising around...

OzMerc39, drdave and dana barlow like this.
  3. oldsman41

oldsman41

I drive my 51 merc which is a mild custom a lot I also drive my avatar as a daily driver

OzMerc39, drdave and dana barlow like this.
  4. I drive my old cars everywhere and anywhere except in the snow, they see rain and gravel and everything in between, last time I checked, cars were intended to be driven.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

OzMerc39 and LOST ANGEL like this.

5. My '50 Ford has been my daily driver since I got it on the road in June. It was -10* Celcius this morning, makes me glad I spent some extra time on the heater when I was working on it. I'll drive it until it snows.

My '63 Galaxie lives a much more sheltered life, but I believe it was meant to be driven with all the windows down. :cool:

OzMerc39 and bchctybob like this.
  6. Roothawg

Roothawg

I just mainly work on mine....someday.

7. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

20200909 Shamrock.jpg RT-66, Shamrock, TX - Last month. Lead Ain't Dead in Dewey, OK - 2,500 miles round trip.

8. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Took a vacation to the L A area last year. My wife`s cousin drove us everywhere. For 7 days. He would be driving along and mention a road or an area of town. I have heard of before. Only saw a total number of 10 old cars on the road. Thought it was odd.

Elcohaulic and 54delray like this.
  9. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1E718A3A-AAC4-4060-B670-A3EEB3EB8635.jpeg Just spent yesterday cleaning all the sticky road construction mud off our 49 . The mud was even coming out the louvred hood onto the screen , this was after a 4 day road trip , which was supposed to be 10 days but due to the entire country going into lockdown we had to scurry home . We can’t see the fun of having a hot rod or custom sitting in a shed relaxing. Next week we take it on a 1400 mile round trip as far north in NZ as we can go. Get out there and make memories. Paint , cosmetics and mechanicals can be fixed , memories need to be created.
    Just got home from our 9 day 1538 ml road trip. Dang wiper switch bezel came loose ?? Awesome journey.
    Just said to my wife , when was the last time we had a decent road trip in a daily driver , got a blank look , “ no idea , we always take a hot rod , be it 2 days or 14 days “. She loves road trips as much as me.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
  10. Drove my Willys to work every day for about 3 years until I got a company truck again. 20 years since I finished it, in need of a refresh. Don't drive it much lately.

1-DSC_7837-1024x678.jpg

aussie57wag, Dave Mc, gsnort and 6 others like this.
  11. TestyAnt

TestyAnt

Drive my cars all the chances I get! Only one of em drives right now haha.

12. I’m envious of you guys who can drive your Old cars all the time. I work in a huge steel mill and have to drive about a mile into that mess, i won’t even drive a nice late model in there. The local parking lots are like a smash up derby at times, no one seems to respect a nice car even when parked out on the back 40. Then from late fall till late spring the roads are covered in heinous chemicals for snow removal. On my work truck even the brake calipers are Covered in scaly rust. So no i don’t drive my custom/hot rod as much as i’d like.

Elcohaulic and SS327 like this.
  13. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Shoebox 10-8-20.jpg
    I drive mine regularly. I put a functional heater in it a few wks back so I can drive it more often.

Dave Mc, juan motime, gsnort and 3 others like this.
  14. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

straykatkustoms, drdave and 54delray like this.
  15. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I drive mine mostly on the weekends, I really enjoy my modern DD (OT Challenger) so I have to divide my time.

16. bchctybob

bchctybob

I take mine out occasionally but I’m retired and I don’t seem to do as much running around as I did when I was working. They take me to the machine shop or auto parts store but if I’m going to someplace like Walmart I won’t take the hot rods. Too many idiots and shopping carts.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. Cragrat

Cragrat

Intend to build my 49 mercury to be driven in all weathera bar snow as the other 'old' car i have (87 sierra cosworth) is just too clean to drive all the time here in Blighty,also been too busy with work etc to be arsed to clean after a run in our summer weather

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

I find it annoying when someone states that you can only "enjoy" a car while driving it. My guess is that 80% of the HAMB membership has projects, 20% have plates and insurance.

Bob

hotrodjack33, RJP and pigIRON63 like this.
  19. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

If it ran and drove I'd drive it from spring to fall daily LOL. If there is no snow, it'd be on the road.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2022
  20. choptop40

choptop40

Going up to my storage space tomorrow , lucked out..1/2 the space is rented out to fellow who is into Fiat cars..he has a lot of tools and was nice enough to allow me full use of them...Gonna get the 49 running after a 2 1/2 year slumber.... image.jpeg

21. turdmagnet

turdmagnet

Recently sold my OT daily and the new one won't be in for a month or so, so the ol Turd has been seeing a lot more miles than normal. And I'm enjoying it much !!!! Said to the better half we should maybe cancel the new one and I'll get a set of snow tires instead - then she reminded me how crappy the heater in it is...........

Sent from my SM-T560NU using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

I will be driving my 37 custom the second it starts stops and steers. I don’t drive my 57 frequently because it goes fast in straight lines and doesn’t stop or steer lol. Won’t be making that mistake with my custom though!

54delray likes this.
  23. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I drive my mild custom vette everywhere, bank, hardware store, grocery store, out to eat and just for fun....

E5C9D4D6-E8B3-42D8-9B0A-0C169AF58B1A.jpeg 4CBB2159-BD37-4662-A5C2-6E025C34639E.jpeg 2B2E9255-59F4-41DE-81CA-F0347153FC9E.jpeg 6371B8CE-1148-44EA-99DE-E374C2F24F9F.jpeg

24. atomickustom

atomickustom

My '53 was my daily driver for a few years but then we had another kid and wife needed a bigger car and I ended up with a late model as well. Nowadays I'm lucky if I drive the poor thing once a month or so. Even the dog prefers the newer cars!

This photo is from Spring - the last time I had it out not counting Stray Kat car shows 2 hours away! 20200325_163900.jpeg

25. Pretty much every day....when they are running....6 old cars and I got nothing on the road at the moment, strangely enough. '51 Merc needs brakes, interior is out of the A and putting a new engine in the '50 Chevy. Soon, very soon.

IMG_4564.jpeg

IMG_0914.png

IMG_2094.jpg

26. Definitely

drive as much as possible as I like to smile a lot... and this car makes me do that !!!

Merc blur.jpg

Merc curve.jpg

Merc park.jpg

27. I will admit Taboo is a trailer baby, but all the other classic stuff gets driven quite a bit. My 33 pickup has been up and down the west coast same with the 55 Bel Air. My O/T later 60s stuff is driven alot as well. Taboo is strictly show. We have been looking at making it more driving friendly though as the car is about done with the indoor show circuit.

54delray and OzMerc39 like this.
  28. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

My Pontiac is in the shakedown/breakdown phase right now, which means drive the heck out of it and see what falls off or stops working.
    Couldn't wait to get plates on it and hit the road. Doesn't really get taken out in rain too much-simply because the weatherstripping sucks but it will if it needs to. Wipers, defog, heater all work so it's an all-rounder really. Just like when it was built.
    People would've looked at you strange if you said you bought one of these and it is sitting in the garage, being waxed occasionally and started every month.

Most cars is for drivin'.

Phil

OzMerc39 likes this.
  29. [​IMG]
    mine was getting daily use until it went in for new paint first quarter of 2019. Window glass and doors leaked so it went into the garage in the winters. It is nearly finished now, just before winter. i have driven it a few days this month and I am looking forward to putting a lot more miles on it soon.

30. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

Would, but, needing tires and an empty bank account for said tires leaves me driving modern equipment. But, soon... maybe... I hope...