Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical WINDSHIELD WIPERS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Windshield wipers are one of those things we don't really think about until we need them, many of us that have been around a few decades have had cars with vacuum wipers, they work marginally.

For years the inexpensive replacement alternative electric windshield wiper motor was a single speed and you had to flip the switch several times to get the wiper blade parked in the correct position.

With both of these wipers they sorta keep the windshield clear, Rain-X has always been my go to. I've had hot rods that didn't even have windshield wipers.

Last year when I installed the interior and added heat, I also broke down and purchased a quality aftermarket windshield wiper from Cornhuskers and it works as well as any modern automobile.

What are you guys using? HRP

3W JOHN, ladyhrp, olscrounger and 2 others like this.
  2. evintho

evintho

No wipers in the roadster however, the '54 got a Newport kit that I got from a HAMB member for a good price.

W Wiper1.JPG

3. I live in Seattle.....maybe you've heard of us....it rains...a lot.

Rain-x has been all i have ever used on my pickup. Works great!

Tman, Bandit Billy, Blues4U and 3 others like this.
  4. jim snow

jim snow

Newport on the coupe. Best upgrade so far. Plus Bob is a great guy too.jmho. Snowman

5. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

RainX has its limitations, if you do any long distance driving wipers are a necessity.
    I have a 2 speed unit which has been needed when a semi roars beside you in a downpour.

6. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Newport in the '54 Ranch Wagon. Still the vacuum unit in the '39 p/u. Thinking about a Mighty Mite for it this winter.

HOTRODPRIMER and dana barlow like this.
  7. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

My coupe has an original Model A electric wiper motor that seems to work fine as is. My pickup has a vacuum motor that frankly sucks. :rolleyes:

8. wicarnut

wicarnut

51 Merc, from Yogis, Newport Eng, Electric motor kit, 2 speed, fits in place where vacuum motor was using stock arms, linkage, fit/ works great, no problems 6 years now. 32 Ford, had 1 wiper, 2 speed electric, again 7/8 years no problem, 29 roadster, Rain X, worked pretty good IMO.

9. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

My '26 T coupe started out with the 1 blade, 1 speed, non parking wiper motor. The 2nd time I needed it, it let the smoke out. Went with RainX for a while, but with the visor and the vertical windshield, it seemed the water just stayed on the windshield. I finally went with a Newport Engineering system. Outstanding piece of equipment. 2 blades. 2 speed, and self parking. Blade stroke is matched perfectly to the windshield. Kind of pricey, but IMHO they are the best on the market. I think that may have been the only thing I have bought to build the T that I didn't have to modify to work.

10. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Well,I tried a Boat wiper for a short time=big lump an yes,had to play with off n on to stop it,went back to stock type 1928 Armstrong Wiper* an added Rain-X when I found that awesome stuff,I kind of like the never fail armstrong wiper=always were I want it to stop and runs as fast or slow as needed. Little chrome wiper handle can be seen on my windshield. But the pretty gal is way more fun to look at ! 12794460_10205802213042252_2501694299892354217_n.jpg

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  11. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Newport in my 1947 ford coupe as well.

12. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

13. 2935ford

2935ford

Ya, I had the Armstrong wiper on my '29 roadster. I found it a real pain. One hand on the steering wheel, one on the shifter and the third hand on the wiper handle......huh!

HOTRODPRIMER, ladyhrp and dana barlow like this.
  14. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Newport upgrade in my ‘37. Works well. The wiper blades, on the other hand, are not great.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. I wish I had used a Newport wiper in the wagon, I used a cheaper wiper and it is a single speed and doesn't self park, I'm stuck with it because with all the wiring, radio, heat & air, vent hoses there is no way to access it without major removal of some components, any short comings in the windshield wiper efficiency will be addressed with Rain-X. HRP

16. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

Intermittent wiper! image.jpeg

17. BJR

BJR

I love my vacuum wipers on my 49 Buick. I believe the reason they work so good is they are connected to a 472 cu in engine. Plus they make such cool sounds when working.

18. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

When I built my '37 sedan 30+ years ago we had to improvise a lot. I used VW beetle wiper motor. I fabricated a mount and a bell crank on one side so the wipers meet at center and park out. And it all fits under the stock windshield header.

19. oldsman41

oldsman41

My merc I put in electric wipers my olds still has the vacuum wipers and rain x but the still do a good job the model a I have one electric

20. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Tried RainX on the Lincoln, water just beaded up and never ran off. Will probably go with a Newport one of these days. I don't even have wiper arms right now, got to find some of those before I worry about a motor. But it won't need wipers until it can get out of the shop under it's own power, whenever that is....

21. Newport works great on three of my old vehicles. But i agree the stock wiper arms and blades are more the problem, when compared to modern arms and blades. The spring force and blade design is just not as effective on the old designs.

22. goldmountain

goldmountain

There used to be three trailer manufacturers here. My friend who was a hoarder of stuff had some motor home wiper motors that he gave me. They are two speed with park made by American Bosch. I purchased an intermmitant switch online. My only complaint is the price of wiper arms and blades.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. There was a guy* that tied a string on the wiper arm and ran the string in through both wing window vents. Then he just grabbed the string and pumped it side to side as needed to operate the wiper.

*The name has been eliminated to protect my innocents. :confused:

24. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Newport eng on many 40's--work well. Also stock vacuum unit rebuilt by Ficken back east with a vacuum reserve-work well too!!

25. On the 2 model A's i built i used the headlight wipers from a Volvo.

26. bchctybob

bchctybob

The factory vacuum wipers in my old ‘55 Ford 2 dr wagon actually worked well after I cleaned and oiled the motor. Not so for my ‘55 F100, I bought electric wipers from Mid-Fifties F100s and they worked well and were a bunch cheaper that New Port. I really just needed the wipers for the nightly dew and coastal fog when I’d come out of my shop at 11 o’clock each night. Rain X didn’t help with that.
    But hey, it never rains in sunny California.....

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I use RainX on my Austin gasser, as I try not to get caught in the rain with it. On my '39 Chev coupe I installed a modern electric wiper motor kit for just the driver's side. I don't even leave the arm/blade on it, but keep it and a wrench under the seat in case I get caught in a rain storm, and need to have a driver's side wiper. I prefer not even seeing wiper arms or blades the rest the time.

HOTRODPRIMER, ladyhrp and bchctybob like this.
  28. I've done 250 miles in the rain in a single day....I'd call that long distance. Especially in a 4 banger powered model A

29. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

My '31 "A" Hiboy roadster has no wipers and I try not to get caught out in the rain as it is also topless:eek: I do give it a Rain X rub once in awhile and it works if I do get caught out in a sudden shower. Windshield posts are pie cut to lay the glass back a few inches and I guess that helps get the water off after it beads up.
    My '40 Ford coupe has a Drake electric setup that worked when I bought it, but I think the chain has jumped off a sprocket or something as it no longer works:( Been relying on Rain X for quite awhile as I just don't fit under that dash with my big, old age stiffened body with the seat still in place. Also need to pull seat out to figger out why the release mechanism to slide it back and forth is stuck. That's when I plan to fix the wipers also.
    Trouble is my son has a project of restoration of a damn Mustang stalled out for nearly 5 years due to a bunch of health problems he has had that don't allow him to even get wheels under the car to get it out:mad:
    However he just bought a house with an 1800 sq. ft. shop and will soon get some help on building some skids or something so we can at least drag it up on a trailer and move it to his shop:cool:
    Then I hope to still have enough energy and drive to fix those wipers and the seat tracks and also install a dual disc clutch in my "A" so as to make it a little easier on my weak left leg on that clutch pedal;)

HOTRODPRIMER, ladyhrp and GordonC like this.
  30. Luke stone

Luke stone

2 speed specialty power windows kit in my 40 Willys and it’s great especially as it seems to rain every time I get it out
    Luke

HOTRODPRIMER, ladyhrp and bchctybob like this.