Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1931 Ford Tudor vintage hotrod rebuild

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by stubbsrodandcustom, Aug 10, 2020.

1. railcarmover

railcarmover

Looks like a hotrod to me...build it quick,drive it before its done,flip it and build another or tweak on it forever..shit aint never done..

stubbsrodandcustom and loudbang like this.
  2. fortynut

fortynut

I know opinions are like belly buttons, and we all have one. I also know from personal experience how easy it to hypnotize yourself into thinking that big shiny, smelly thing you've been buffing to a fine luster is not what you know it is. Even if they say it can't be done. After seeing 31jalopy's full-fendered A-bone, does it not take away some of the trance you're in, and give you an objective view of what looks finished, as opposed to how an A Model looks because of how the frame sits under the car and you have to leave the little mini skirt piece of metal that looks out of place because the leading edge just hangs in the wind and none of it quite matches? I know how badass a Flathead can be, from having owned a couple; and to me, the performance part is where the Hot is, as in Hot Rod, and I also know that the only way an A-bone highboy is ever going to look 100 per cent is sitting on Deuce rails. And, no. I'm NOT suggesting doing that. I'm suggesting that you put the fenders back on and making the complete envelope more sanitary, so when you go tooling around, the cool factor and the rush will be not from how it looks but from how it cooks. Otherwise, you got most of the rabbit out of the hat, now get his feet out, and consider yourself lucky to have such a fine old car that with some TLC will give you a lot of enjoyment. And, you did keep the fenders, that say the back of your mind knew more that it was telling the front part, until the occasion was right.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    40FORDPU and stubbsrodandcustom like this.
  3. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Yeah, Ive had a few fendered As and non fendered... I do agree the 32 rails look stellar for sure. Not going to happen for sure, maybe on a next one if I just bought a body, but I was aiming for late 40s hotrod. Now the fenders, well I did trade them for paint work, BUT I honestly don't think he will do anything with them, I know a buddy who has about 10 sets if I need a set, so I got that covered if I decided to go that route. I used to not like the side skirts with no fenders, few years back I starting digging the look more myself, but that's me. I find myself missing having a banger car, that is probably the biggest debate I have with myself these days over fenders or not. Never said I was in my right mind, but flattys or bangers they are all cool in my mind.

Stogy, brEad, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  4. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Awesome. Congrats on a killer build!

5. Jason Mitchell

Jason Mitchell
    from Memphis TN

Very cool. I love the 28-31 Tudor with a flathead v8. I'm doing a 29 currently.

6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Excellent path you went down. (UP?) Steering box surgery was sanitary, GLAD you didn't find the F6 was what it was 'til you were committed!
    A '30 Roadster friend had me rebuild an old F6 box for his roadster...felt like power steering. (Gemmer box, best then.)
    Watch...now everybody will be grabbing all the F6 boxes!
    Beautiful job, 'way beyond a '40s rod...

7. slowspoke

slowspoke

Insane build! Great inspiration thanks for sharing!

8. railcarmover

railcarmover

thumbnail (81).jpg

Fenderless banger? hell yeah brother..

Stogy, brEad, Just Gary and 2 others like this.
  9. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

BEAUTIFUL BANGER BUD...

loudbang likes this.
  10. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Yeah, I was supper irritated at first when the pitman arm I had was wrong, but after driving I can see the difference. haha.. Now there will be a run on f6 boxes...
    Thanks man, just trying my best here. Still a ways to go but getting there.

loudbang likes this.
  11. Danekejt

Danekejt
    from Pa

nice job. diggin it!!

12. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

So got some dress up in today...

Normally I do weird shift knobs etc... this time a little nod to older times..

31-43.jpg

And finally bought and got in my center caps, just for that finished look...

31-42.jpg

13. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Stroll around the whole neighborhood, brakes still need some attention but work...

Carb is better now... No more die out stopping... water leaks dried up, but still have a set of pumps here when time comes, thanks Van Pelt...

Also wanted to take a minute to review some orders I got...
    Reds Headers, BEST damn shipping and boxing I have ever seen, great products, great service.
    Van Pelt, great customer service, fast shipping, quality products.
    Vintage Speed, great product in car rebuild kit #2, and the right shit vs speedways generic.
    Berts Model A. great to deal with also. fast on the shipping, quality products
    Ecklers, ton of selection, all around not bad to deal with.
    Speedway, only some things that I needed fast, but all in all they always hit the shipping nail on the head.

So if your new to the Model A game and want to know where to get parts, this is my normal list of go to companies. Before this build I never used Reds, Van Pelt or Vintage Speed. All 3 of these new to me companies did a great job.

Figured Id pass on some info to anyone out there going to build or needs good suppliers.

So here we are Street photos...

31-46.jpg 31-47.jpg 31-44.jpg

Attached Files:

Stogy, alfin32, badshifter and 11 others like this.
  14. silverdome

silverdome

Pretty slick and pretty quick. And best of all your happy.

I do like that grey a lot.

15. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

I like it! Good Job! It sure is more fun working the bugs out a a driving vehicle. I think. Nice

16. GEBHARD

GEBHARD
    from TX...

Wow! You dont mess around. Looks great man

17. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Try not to... haha..Thanks man...

loudbang likes this.
  18. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Dang...again...Dang. I love a Model A grille shell on a Model A. Thanks for not putting a Deuce shell on it.

19. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

I dont like duce shells on an A, Ive always loved this grill shell. Thanks man... at least some of us in this world think this way.

20. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

So update....

Took the car to the Texas Hotrod Hoedown. Had a good time, moved it in the day before just not to F with moving in etc with packed driveways. First time trailering a car to a show, felt weird but still wanted to go even with brakes still not 100% so trailer it was.
    31-48.jpg

So on the way to the show sat morning, picked up my buddy at his house, headed to eat a breakfast at a hole in the wall by the show we love to hit sometimes... Good breakfast, I was really looking forward to it till I was hit by an intoxicated driver. He was coming up fast and I tried to move left to avoid and nope, hit us. Then he took off, jumping a set of railroad tracks, running a red light, but my tow pig was on that ass after being hit, he finally stopped 1/2 mile down the road, and we pulled him out the car, intoxicated as hell, we waited 30 minutes for police, then 3 departments had to figure out whose jurisdiction it was since it was at county line. TXDPS finally took over and 3 hrs later, we finally got to leave and just go to the show. Needless to say he took a ride with some jewelry on his wrists. Possession of controlled substance, intoxicated driving and failure to stop and give information. No one seriously hurt though so thats good.

wreck.jpg

Now to fight with insurance companies for a correct repair with OEM parts.

So once the show was over, told my buddy who helped alot on this car, "hey man want to drive it out?" He didn't hesitate. haha. So here he is about to pull out and make the parade lap.

31-49.jpg
    31-50.jpg

Letting your friends share the glory is always fun..

Ups and downs of the weekend, kinda evened out things.

48fordnut, Stogy, Woogeroo and 5 others like this.
  21. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Awesome. My old cars have always been 'community cars'. I want more ppl to enjoy my car than just me!
    Too bad about the tow rig.

22. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Not much to show off or update anyone on. Been road testing things a lot. Chatter clutch is a little annoying but hey it still runs and drives. Finally have decent brakes. She needs shoes I think to be spot on but a lot of adjusting brake rods makes her stop now for sure.

Finally put timing light on the flatty. Was a bit retarded but now not even a revolution and fires. Runs very smooth now. Kinda weird how smooth it idles. Haha.

Here’s a video of purring like a kitten today after some tweaks and a little drive.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy, J.Ukrop, flatheadpete and 6 others like this.
  23. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

So a little update... Its been slow progress after the wreck... But finally getting around to a few things, got a Hood fit up and straps installed, now to pull it back off and paint it up I guess soon. Love these Zig Zag springs... hood.jpg

Stogy, brEad, modelacrazy and 2 others like this.
  24. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Latest update... Finally painted the hood. Did a nice lil trip the other day... Cruises 60 quite well for sure.

31-51.jpg

View cruising down the road...

31-52.jpg

The orig Quail cleaned up that was a gift from a friend...

31-53.jpg
    I have been toying with selling for a while. But real close to keeping it and finish it up. I think finally putting some miles in the bond is getting there for sure.

Stogy, Woogeroo, badshifter and 6 others like this.
  25. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Hope everyone had a good christmas......

Got the car out with my buddy on christmas eve for a little fun. Longest trip yet, no issues at all....
    Lets start off with the Quail and ATLAS

31-54.jpg

Sawmill Planer that was still there... This sawmill burnt about 10 years ago and unveiled these jewels sitting inside.

planer.jpg

This is the big boy Atlas steam engine... all this is right off the side of a major roadway here locally, but cool none the less. This pic is taken 6' off the ground to give you an idea of the size of this thing...

atlas 1.jpg

So here are the ones of the car. Got it dirty finally, did great through the little bit of mud there.

31-56.jpg

31-55.jpg

Hope yall enjoy, and hope everyone had a merry christmas and has a safe and fun new years.... Fingers crossed for 21 to be better than 20....

48fordnut, Stogy, J.Ukrop and 8 others like this.
  26. Mr Last Minute

Mr Last Minute

Looks great mate, love the colour combo. I agree with some others it would look incredible with fenders though

stubbsrodandcustom likes this.
  27. v8flat44

v8flat44

I WANT IT !!!! I may have to call 911...my heart is pounding.....way cool !!

28. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Few Update pictures
    IMG_2387.JPG
    Retraining springs...

Adding the top on...

IMG_2392.JPG IMG_2393.JPG IMG_2394.JPG IMG_2395.JPG IMG_2396.JPG

29. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Complete Top, Its not perfect, I'm not an interior guy, but it will keep rain out and sun off the bald head.

IMG_2407.JPG

IMG_2408.JPG

30. loudbang

loudbang

Looks pretty spiffy. :)