Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tips for starting quickly with dried out fuel bowls

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Shift Wizard, Oct 9, 2020.

1. trollst

trollst

My 36 can sit for days or weeks depending on the time of year, I prefer to spin the engine on the starter, it builds oil pressure in a motor thats been sitting. I set the choke, the motor winds over for a few revolutions, fires right up, no lifter noise, instant oil pressure and best of all, no washing the cylinder walls dry with gasoline or ether.

Tickety Boo likes this.
  2. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

It's hard on the starter, especially if the battery is low too. As the voltage drops the current draw increases, and with a weak battery that leads to a lot of heat generation in the starter. Good way to wear it out.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  3. trollst

trollst

Been doing it for twenty years on this 327, replaced the starter with a gear drive unit last year. My daughters pickup shuts off and restarts every stoplight.

4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

skipped to the last page so maybe someone mentioned it, but please store it empty.

I used them at work and if the fluid level is “just so” or the temperature shifts over night the bottom can some how form a vacuum and dump your fluid all over your bench.

Cleaning up soap isn’t fun I can imagine coming into the garage and finding poured gas would be less fun.

5. I didn’t realize this was a large dilemma...I just changed the fuel pump and filter on the convertible, took about 20 seconds of cranking for it to pump fuel up and start.

Like I said, I’m lazy I guess

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Aaron65 likes this.
  6. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I'll say! I just started my old truck this morning after it sat for several months. The battery was low, but I was able to get maybe half a teaspoon of gasoline dribbled in the carb from an "empty" jerry can.
    It started it right up.

Blues4U likes this.
  7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

She need to push the "off" button or drive in tow haul. That's what I do.

Lil32 likes this.
  8. bamawildcat

bamawildcat

I'm running an AirTex E8251 inline strictly for priming purposes. It takes about 10 seconds to fill up my AFB after it has been sitting two weeks.

9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Flathead pump with priming lever

Screenshot 2020-10-11 at 7.55.16 PM.png

Driver50x, Beanscoot and Blues4U like this.
  10. lake_harley

lake_harley

Seems to me Boneyard51's "crank a second - wait - crank a second - wait" trick makes sense.

Also, some of the homebuilt experimental airplane people use a small Facet cube-shaped electric fuel pump on a bypass line around the normal fuel pump. Run it a few seconds to fill the float bowls before cranking. It would require a check valve in the suction line of the Facet pump and I think some have the valve built in.

Lynn

Boneyard51 likes this.
  11. If you're going to complicate things by adding an extra electric fuel pump for priming, why not just use it in place of the mechanical fuel pump. Turn the key on, wait a few seconds, and off you go. :rolleyes:

Or if you must have a primer pump, just use a marine fuel line squeeze bulb. o_O
    Two or three squeezes and fire it up.

primer bulb.jpeg

Truck64 likes this.
  12. hudson48

hudson48

Watching the video on the primer pump and my question is how does the fuel get pumped into the carburetor/s if it still need to go through the mechanical pump. Does the electric one just push it through and up to the fuel block/carbs and you don't need to crank continuously to get the fuel up.
    I have 3 X Rochester 2G's but normally just run on centre carb with progressive linkage.

13. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Yes, the electric pump just pushes fuel right through the mechanical pump. It just needs a very small bit of pressure to lift the check valves off their seats in the mechanical pump.

14. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Try the vent tube or carefully down the throat .Do not squirt down the throat while cranking ,1 backfire and you have a bomb between your fingers . I know “ I done it for years with no problem”, just remember who you hurt the most is your family not you . Use caution anytime you play with flammable liquids of any flavor .

Boneyard51 and Lil32 like this.
  15. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Hey so I tried your Dad's trick this morning and it worked! My Strombergs had been sitting for a week. The acid test will be my Q-jet, that thing is dryer than the Sahara desert after a week.

Thanks Bones!

Truck64, Blues4U and Boneyard51 like this.
  16. Ad an electric fuel pump with a switch, turn it on and it will fill the carb and It'll start right up no matter how long it sits.

pprather likes this.
  17. indyjps

indyjps

They have a rubber seal at the cap. Gas eats the seal and gas runs down your hand when you try to use it.
    Could replace with o ring that is fuel resistant.

18. hudson48

hudson48

19. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

I don't mind cranking 'til it lights, by that time it has oil pressure too...

Baumi, chiro, Driver50x and 2 others like this.
  20. 5brown1

5brown1

I replaced my oil pressure safety switch with this item which when turned on primes for 3 seconds. It can be made to
    prime additional times just by turning the ignition off and on again. It operates off the tach so when the engine in not
    running the electric pump does not run. And no more cranking forever to start the engine.
    https://www.revolutionelectronics.com/Products/Fuel_Pump.html

21. ziffer

ziffer
    from michigan

Pros and Cons of using Carb Cleaner instead of Starting Fluid sprayed into the carb?????

22. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

How about starting fluid?

23. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

I've been running the Aussie version of this (Peel Instruments CP30) for a long time. Good solution if you already have an electric pump.
    https://www.peelelectronics.com.au/lpg-automotive-gauges-propane-closed-loop-safety-switch/#SSW

Cheers,
    Harv

24. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I'm really sorry if you (or anyone else) got that impression somehow. Certainly wasn't my intention.

It is important to always replace the air cleaner back on before trying to start the engine, in case of backfire. Good point! I'll try to be more clear in the future.

25. Andy

Andy

I do it a little different. You don't need much pressure to get the fuel in the carb. I just blow on the gas tank filler neck. It does not take but one blow and hold it for a few seconds. I use this method to start the bigger engines around the house.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    Boneyard51 likes this.
  26. jaracer

jaracer

I did something similar on an old motorhome, but I used a momentary switch. That way I wouldn't accidently leave it on and run down the battery.

caseywheels likes this.
  27. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Just fired up the Q-jet, last driven on the 9th. Started on the third short burst! I'm a believer!

Hmm, interesting. I'll have the wife give it a try.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  28. That's an old Go-kart trick, called "kissing the tank" on a flat head Briggs.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  29. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

Yeah it is a pain to crank and crank when the old car has sat a while, but I figure that if the bowl is empty the oil is also drained back into the pan. So as I crank the engine I watch the oil gauge or light and that way I have oil pressure before it actually starts. Usually if car has been sitting all winter the oil pressure starts to build just as the gas gets there and it starts to "catch".

Boneyard51 likes this.