Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects And So It Begins

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Piewagn, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Piewagn

Piewagn

Ok....major grinding done on this thing.... I was close to packing it in on this....BUT.... I’m sure I can work this and it’ll look great! There was a huge dent on the driver side that had me leaning away from this one....but I pounded it out and it’s actually square....it’ll work! IMG_0235.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

simplestone, loudbang and brEad like this.
  2. Piewagn

Piewagn

Carbs done....oops, forgot the accel pump linkage on the end carb.... I’m finally starting on the body! Subframe needs some work, but nothing I can’t handle! Of course all the bolts across the back end broke, but it’s all part of the game. I’ll figure something out.....Thanks for hangin’ with me fellas!! IMG_0238.JPG IMG_0239.JPG Adjustments.JPG Adjustments.JPG

3. Piewagn

Piewagn

Worked on the subframe today....by all of MY deducing, I’ve gotta a frigging sedan subframe!
    Aaron has the rear piece I need and I’ll have to make this work ....I just can't afford a subframe.....I can handle it....it’s just another wrench in the frigging gears! IMG_0251.JPG IMG_0252.JPG IMG_0248.JPG IMG_0249.JPG IMG_0250.JPG

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    loudbang likes this.
  4. Jason Mitchell

Jason Mitchell
    from Memphis TN

Nice build. Enjoying the pictures. I'm doing a 29 Tudor with the same motor as yours.

loudbang and Piewagn like this.
  5. Piewagn

Piewagn

Nice to have you by Jason! Gotta build thread?

loudbang likes this.
  6. Piewagn

Piewagn

Goofing around at lunch today and threw the carbs on just to see what it looked like..... I like it!
    Also....more work on the subframe. The front ends were mangled and cracked, so I spent some time welding and straightening. I forgot to get a before pic of the driver side....boy was it mangled! Much worse than the passenger side.....but I managed to get it relatively straight.....I thought it came out nice.

I was scrutinizing the subframe and looking to see the differences between the sedan sub and the coupe sub to give me an idea of what I need to do. Looks like I’ll have to widen it in the rear where the wheel wells are and probably fabricate some bracketry, but it’s nothing I can’t handle. It just mucks up the works a wee bit! Thanks for letting me ramble, hope all had a nice day.....thanks fellas! IMG_0256.JPG IMG_0258.JPG IMG_0261.JPG IMG_0262.JPG IMG_0263.JPG IMG_0264.JPG IMG_0265.JPG IMG_0266.JPG IMG_0267.JPG

7. Piewagn

Piewagn

Well.....it looks like I’ll have to lengthen the rear section of the subframe.....will be mocking some things up later today. Hopefully it’ll be cut and dry with some minor fab work, we shall see....

8. loudbang

loudbang

Engine looks great with those colors. :)

Piewagn likes this.
  9. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thanks LB!! It’s just what I pictured in my head?

loudbang likes this.
  10. Piewagn

Piewagn

Well....laid things out this evening and here’s what I’ve come up with.
    Just a few mods that I started....add 5” to the rear section and trim a couple spots that I have marked in the pics.....trim a small portion off near the rear wheel well and modify the front ends where it meets the cowl/firewall assembly, which I’ve already done....see in pics! Everything will be just fine!!!
    Man.....do I feel a WHOLE LOT better!!! Thanks for stoppin’ by fellas!!
    IMG_0271.JPG IMG_0276.JPG IMG_0274.JPG IMG_0273.JPG IMG_0272.JPG IMG_0277.JPG IMG_0280.JPG IMG_0281.JPG IMG_0282.JPG Adjustments.JPG

11. Piewagn

Piewagn

Looks almost fak-tree....
    IMG_0287.JPG Adjustments.JPG IMG_0289.JPG

12. guitarguy

guitarguy

LOL, Vice Grip Garage humor :D

13. Piewagn

Piewagn

Yes Sir! A guy would think so.....:D:D

14. Piewagn

Piewagn

Little quarter work today....
    I’ve ordered the “T” strips and I need to order the trunk rain gutters....
    Who the $@&# cuts out the rain gutters??? FFS! Anyway....here we are for today....have a great weekend everyone! IMG_0301.JPG IMG_0302.JPG IMG_0303.JPG IMG_0304.JPG IMG_0305.JPG

Tim, brEad, Okie Pete and 3 others like this.
  15. Apache Albert

Apache Albert

Keep it moving! I'm stuck back in class and am way too swamped to keep working on my build. Nevertheless, your build progression keeps my motivation and spirits high!
    Albert

Piewagn and loudbang like this.
  16. Piewagn

Piewagn

Since I couldn’t find coupe “T” strips anywhere, I purchased the sedan strips and modified to fit....
    Should look ok once everything is cinched up. Still waiting on my rear coupe subframe section from Aaron....I’m itchin’ to get this body assembled!! Thanks for checkin’ in fellas!! IMG_0319.JPG IMG_0321.JPG IMG_0323.JPG IMG_0324.JPG

17. Piewagn

Piewagn

Glad to Help Albert! Sometimes it just feels like I'm spinning my wheels, then you have a look and see some real progress! Thanks for the motivation.....every little bit helps!

loudbang and Apache Albert like this.
  18. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Sorry Jim, I paid extra to get you priority mail. It was supposed to arrive last Friday.

loudbang and Piewagn like this.
  19. Piewagn

Piewagn

Not your fault Aaron! The PO has been dropping the ball around here. Some mail has been behind 2 weeks at work! That's why I had you send it to my home. Don't sweat it brutha....I appreciate you taking the time and supplying me with the crucial part I need.....

loudbang likes this.
  20. bartmcneill

bartmcneill
    from Ada, OK

That is how mine started out. She is solid now and doors shut great.

Attached Files:

21. bartmcneill

bartmcneill
    from Ada, OK

Big mike 1968, Piewagn and loudbang like this.
  22. Piewagn

Piewagn

Yep! That's where I started......and where I want to get to....
    Nice!

loudbang likes this.
  23. Piewagn

Piewagn

Ok....you guys wanna see how big of an idiot I am? You know Ive been harping about “T” strip and how there’s none available for the coupe models.....and that I got the sedan strips and modified them to fit? Well, while working the rear roof/body panel.....guess what’s there? You guessed it!!! The frigging T strips that I thought were missing! Geezus I’m a frigging idiot!!! IMG_0323.JPG IMG_0324.JPG IMG_0327.JPG Adjustments.JPG

24. Piewagn

Piewagn

I thought I’d never get this crown back....it was mashed in pretty good. Hammers, dollies and a body file got me here.....now basically a skim coat will finish it off nicely! But I’m waiting until the body is assembled and all my patch panels are installed before I do any plastic work. Thanks for hangin’ out fellas! IMG_0331.JPG IMG_0332.JPG IMG_0333.JPG

25. Piewagn

Piewagn

Just taking care of some rust structural issues until my subframe section arrives that Aaron shipped out. Post office called snd they did find it in a corner of a Washington state facility.....thank God! So, it’s now on it’s way to Lansdale!

Working the quarters and things....thanks for stoppin’ by fellas!

p.s. It’s not your fault Aaron! IMG_0341.JPG IMG_0342.JPG

26. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Geez man.

Piewagn and loudbang like this.
  27. Piewagn

Piewagn

It's on it's way Aaron.....that's all I'm concerned about! I appreciate your effort!

loudbang likes this.
  28. Piewagn

Piewagn

Left side quarter had a bunch of annoying waves.....someone pounded a spot out from the inside and stretched the crap out of the metal....I shrunk it down some, but I’m gonna order a shrink hammer and maybe a shrinking disc....
    I did manage to get it decent, but still needs some massaging....thanks for poppin’ in fellas! IMG_0344.JPG

29. Mart

Mart

Lookin great. Glad you found those parts.

loudbang likes this.
  30. Piewagn

Piewagn

Kinda made my own shrink disc and it worked a treat! Geezus this thing was stretched! I’m happy where it came in....couple swipes of filler after I install the patch panels and we’re good! Thanks for hangin’ out fellas! IMG_0345.JPG IMG_0347.JPG IMG_0348.JPG