Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical TCP Global Acrylic Lacquer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Beachboybob, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Beachboybob

Beachboybob
    from california

Now that PPG has quit selling their high quality Duracryl Lacquer, I’m having to hunt for some Acrylic Lacquer for repair of a 50 year-old lacquer paint job. I was hoping to get feedback on the quality of TCP Global acrylic lacquer. They still sell it out of San Diego. Thanks in advance! Bob

2. their web site says they don't ship to ca.

3. I thought most of their stuff was re badged PPG

4. Beachboybob

Beachboybob
    from california

Yes, You are Correct! The repair is being performed in Reno, Nevada. I was hoping someone might have experience with the Quality of their Acrylic Lacquer. Bob

5. Beachboybob

Beachboybob
    from california

Again... hoping for posts with personal experience, not speculation....happy face! Bob

6. I have used it. I sprayed this 34 pickup with it. It was not as good as the PPG I sprayed years ago but it went on as well as one would expect with lacquer. It didn't seem to have as much pigment in it as a higher quality (priced) lacquer like PPG. I had to use more of it to cover it like I like. It wet sanded out fine and I hand rubbed it, I have not machine buffed it. The thing is, you can't buy lacquer just anywhere and you have to use whats available if you want it in lacquer. I would think for a repair of a 50 year old paint job that TCP Global would work fine.
    f.JPG

Packrat, loudbang and Hollywood-East like this.
  7. Beachboybob

Beachboybob
    from california

56Don! Your post was valuable to me! Thank you! I want to avoid investing $400 in materials that fail to get the job done! Your post provides me some confidence in using the TCP product. Their storefront wouldn’t suggest they are manufacturing paint. The rep I spoke to was vague about where they are sourcing it, if they don’t make it. Thanks again!!

56don likes this.
  8. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

carwithtop.jpg I used it to paint the roadster in my avatar. It's not PPG but the paint is now eleven years old, no complaints.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  9. You are welcome. I am not a painter so hopefully, someone with more experience painting will chime in with their experience with it.

10. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

11. indyjps

indyjps

TCP GLOBAL. Not used their lacquer, very happy with their enamel and and urethane.

PAINT FOR CARS. Used to be trinity. Extremely budget. Used their black enamel, it chalked out in 2 years, wouldnt buff shiny anymore.

12. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

I use TCP global for many of my projects and have been very happy with their products. I have NOT used the specific product you are looking at.

13. Beachboybob

Beachboybob
    from california

2deuces64 likes this.
  14. All I can say is, DON'T. I used it on my Model A and hate it, it is not any way as hard as the old style lacquer and it will not buff to as good of a shine. And if you spill any gas on it, it will soften and discolor the paint.