Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Adjustment of the R10 governor on the BW overdrive

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ritchieb, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Ritchieb

Ritchieb

Can anyone tell me at what speed I can turn the BW R10 governor to set the 28MPH outside the transmission? Seems someone who rebuilds these units must have a means to adjust these units without installing them in the R10. Any suggestions?

Thanks Wayne

2. Is it turning on too late, too early or not at all?

Overdrive manual

Attached Files:

3. I don't believe they are 'adjustable'. They use a weight/spring arrangement (just like a mechanical advance in a distributor) to operate at a specific transmission RPM. The actual MPH number will be controlled by the rear axle ratio which on these was generally between 3.9 and 4.4 to 1. Add in variable tire sizes and the MPH number can vary a fair amount. Generally they engage the OD at about 28 MPH, disengage at 23 but this can vary by several MPH either way. If yours is way off, it may need cleaning/relubrication.

Any changes would require disassembling the governor, altering the weights/springs, then having a way to spin the governor to check where you're at (distributor machine?).

jaracer likes this.
  4. Ritchieb

Ritchieb

The OD cuts in at about 15MPH. Seems to early.

5. squirrel

squirrel

I've noticed that how I drive makes a big difference in when it shifts into OD. If I do it right, it shifts in when I let off the gas, after I've accelerated in Second gear. Then I accelerate in 2OD, and then shift to 3rd when the time comes, and it stays in OD.

The rear end gear ratio has a lot to do with when the overdrive will shift, and when you want to let it shift.

Tell us about your car, and your driving technique, maybe we can offer some tips.

firstinsteele likes this.
  6. Ritchieb

Ritchieb

Hi Squirrel,

Thanks for the reply. The car is a 41 LC. V12. You are correct about the variable speed as to when the OD kicks in. My OD kicks in while letting off the throttle in second gear around 15MPH. Sometimes at faster speeds maybe 20 or so. Once in she takes off. Once back in first or come to a stop and start again the process happens again as described. I had the unit out to examine it and noticed that I could access two screws on the top cover. I took the cover off and noticed those screws adjusted the two sets of fingers that make contact as the device spinned. In the Motors manual (Fifteenth Edition) there is a section on the OD and a subsection for the governor. It even discusses how to adjust it but not in any great detail. I also believe that the governor in that section is different then mine though the principal operation is the same. I was wondering if anyone else here ever took out the governor and adjusted it on the bench. Some must have experience since you can get them rebuilt and adjusted to work at the speeds they say they should kick in at. Maybe the unit is spun at a particular RPM? The rear end ratio on the LC is 4:41 I believe. That's all I have.

7. jaracer

jaracer

In high school, my buddy had a really nice 55 Ford Fairlane 2dr post. It had a 272 with a 3 speed OD. He found out that if you got over 30 in low gear and let off, it would shift into overdrive. He would wind it out in 1st, let up a bit, and let it shift to overdrive, then wind it out again until the valve were ready to float. Then he would push the accelerator hard enough to engage the kickdown. I have no idea why he didn't blow it up.

8. wayne-o

wayne-o

I spun mine when out with a vs drill to check that it was actually working. Did not see anyway to adjust it. Didnt have to turn it very fast to operate.

9. squirrel

squirrel

Engaging OD in low gear is pretty hard on the planetary needle bearings....might be ok with an R11, or an R10 behind something without much power.

If you find that the speed is now at about 15mph, and you want it to wait until about 30 (as an example), then you can use the current kick in point to determine what the new kick in point should be. If you connect the contacts to an ohm meter, then turn the shaft with a variable speed drill, you can see at what speed it closes. Make an adjustment, then see what happens...repeat, until you get it to close at about twice the original speed (for my example).

At least that's the approach I'd take, if I were in your situation.

10. oldsman41

oldsman41

I run od in my 51 merc with a flatty when I got the car od would engage at about 20 mph everything I read said 32 mph was when it should go in so I took the governor apart and cleaned it up and reset the thing and it comes on now at about 33 to 35 by my speedo which I know is off a little so there may be some hope for yours

squirrel likes this.