Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Brake light pressure switch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

Mine is LED's and I still average 3 switches over a 2 year span.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  2. break - separate or cause to separate into pieces as a result of a blow, shock, or strain.

brake - a device for slowing or stopping a moving vehicle, typically by applying pressure to the wheels.

HRP

3. grumpy65

grumpy65

Have you ever noticed that they seem to break fast, especially really early in the morning?
    Sorry, couldn't resist......................
    :oops:

4. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh, yes of course... but if it doesn't work, it's a break light switch. If it worked it would be a brake light switch.
    I haven't had any luck with the hydraulic aftermarket switches.
    HD has hung in there

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER and grumpy65 like this.
  5. grumpy65

grumpy65

If you break brake light swithes, steer clear of bakelite brake light switches as bakelite will surely break.
    Hang on, is it light or lite ???????

Yes, ok, I am leaving now. There is no need for all the swearing and moaning. :confused:

Hnstray and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. Au contraire mon ami, I believe it would be a broken stop light switch! :D HRP

clem, 3W JOHN and dirty old man like this.
  7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Wow now we have an English major weighing in :D or more likely an English minor who failed his ESL classes :D:D

Give it a rest, whether functional or not it’s still a brake light activation switch.

clem, dirty old man and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  8. All in good fun Larry. :D HRP

grumpy65, Blue One and 3W JOHN like this.
  9. fortynut

fortynut

I am in the process of paying for a Basket Case '40 Ford Pickup. As it build it, I am going to use LED passenger car tail-lights. I have read that there are several methods for doing this, one it to wire an Edison style filament bulb into the circuit to create enough resistance for the flasher to function, as such I will use it as a method to indicate the system is functioning. And, yes, for those throwing a tantrum about what kind of STOP light switch is best, I will be using a mechanical switch that will encased in silicone as a preventive measure to keep moisture out. My argument is not that Pressure Switches are Bad, or inferior. My argument is that the Mechanical Switch is something I was using on my Hot Rods and so were others when I was knee high to a grasshopper back when Ethyl was not the cow on Elmer's glue, and when you could buy Coca Colas out of a drink machine for a nickel. Yes. I'm old enough to remember what was what when 'traditional' was still in knee pants.

10. I found out today that Harley-Davidson outsources the brake light switch, They use a ECHLIN SL147 switch which is also available at NAPA. HRP

11. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Bet the one in the Harley Davidson box cost three time as much!

Hnstray and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  12. speedshifter

speedshifter

I have heard silicone brake fluid shortens the life of pressure switches. Any views on this? Greg

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I should have never looked at this thread. Went o coffee this morning in my '39 p/u. No brake lights. I think the low pressure one had a life time guarantee for what that's worth. Think I try the Napa one HRP posted.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Silicone fluid seems to add life to the switch . The switches on the Shovel , have been in service beginning in 75 and still function . Now the next time I ride ,it’s fair to say they both , will be busted and not work after I spoke up .

51504bat likes this.
  15. justpassinthru

justpassinthru

Has anyone ever taken one apart to see just what made the switch stop working? I have not.

Does it mechanically get stuck somehow, plugged up with debris, or do the contacts just get too corroded to pass current?

I would think the contacts would be the most likely culprit. Brake light circuit is typically a high current draw circuit, and brake light switches are typically wired directly into that circuit.

Has anyone wired in a brake light pressure switch to operate a relay at low amperage and then the brake lights are fed through relay and not through the switch?

Just curious.

Bill

16. sedantudor

sedantudor

I have been running the same switch mounted on the master for over 9 years, works great. Now I think I need to go check, been a while since I have seen the back of my car when I am behind the wheel.

17. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

2-1157 bulbs draw about 2 amps , hardly " high current draw ".. If they're LED its less than that ...

18. flat 39

flat 39

I took apart a failed H-D switch. The contacts were burned after two years of use. I was using extra bright hologin tail light bulbs. I have changed to LED and so far so good.

19. I've used the Harley 72023-51E in all three of my '40s and on my '54 F100. The one in the coupe has been in there for at least 10 years and going strong, the stake truck 8 years, and I just got the panel on the road this spring. The low pressure lights them up early and they have seemed to last. They look like the small diameter one you posted a picture of earlier, Danny, and not the Napa switch.

20. Boden

Boden