Register now to get rid of these ads!

HUBBA HUBBA my 32-4 Tudor tribute to Gramps

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Runnin shine, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The one in between in this Artwork is dust rolling and twisting off and over the tires to help with the highlighting of motion...Many of these renditions have well over 100 mods/ layers so removing the Upper lick I have to dig back...and sometimes...:confused:...Many times I complicate my day by flattening layers or not naming them...

46 -48 Timeframe/Era/ Period

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Oh the era thing makes more since than anything I thought of.

And I know it’s a salt/ wind thing I was meaning add another painted point between the two existing ones in that version. So a total of three. Not getting rid of or lowering the highest one, just adding another one that looks similar.

3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@runningshine I mentioned when I was fitting in the side windows and lower door mods are tricky and lend to some license but I did try to remain pretty faithful to your uniquely laid panels. The rear frame/tank area remains bobbed and I have added a simplistic push bar that suits many a push vehicle...I'm glad we're hitting on many cylinders with this evolving project of your lifetime...till the next one...:D

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  4. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I prefer the way the salt licks come off the grill shell like here
    [​IMG]
    But I would take some time being ok with losing the body color from the front view.
    I really like the longest one being low on the frame and body and each one above getting shorter. Like the pic we’ve been mulling over.
    [​IMG]
    So yes @Tim maybe the side one should come down the maybe one off the hood top to make three on the sides. Leaving two well placed on the hood tops. I don’t want them covering Edmunds equipped, trim, door handles, “Hubba Hubba”, or the belt line. Not looking forward to any extra work over louvers but oh well. If a little tip goes into 13 I haven’t decided if it’s layered below or above. Again to be clear I think the low one will go on the frame a couple times as well. If the grey is all of the grill shell I may cover the whole pinched frame section below the hood side before merging into the cowl. This could help with the “streamlined” look. That is one of the reasons I pinched the frame and am so adamant about painting it the body’s color.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I’ve got another idea I’ll draw it later...

6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HubbaAutumn46ElMirageBVAV7.jpg

HubbaAutumn46ElMirageBVAV6.jpg

HubbaAutumn46ElMirageBVAV5.jpg

HubbaAutumn46ElMirageBVAV4.jpg
    :rolleyes:...a few to ponder...

7. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Thanks so much @Stogy ! They’re all good representations of where I’m heading. The third one is probably closest to what I’m thinking. The overall lick shape I will mask off will be more like some of your earlier work but taken from all the renderings you’ve done. I will print them off and cover a space in the garage so I can cop from my favorite parts. There will not be a pinstripe border like the Bernardini Bros.

Stogy and Tim like this.
  8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looks like stogy beat me to the punch, looking good!

mad far as seeing the green from the front I think you need to take into consideration the real life view of the car vs the laying on the ground taking a cool photo view of the car.

you’ll have the hood top, windshield header, part if not the entire roof, an some of the arching our sides of the car well with i. View standing up looking at it.

end of the day it is really one of those sit and stare at it in person and the car will tell you what it wants kind of thing

Stogy, loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  9. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

@Tim , I agree, your statement coincides with what I keep trying to communicate. The car as a whole even not finished has a better look here in the real. The size and proportions all look more natural here. It seems more of a sculpture or a fluid three dimensional thing to the naked eye. Maybe humans have built in filters or “glamour shot” effects.
    I tell you true that it doesn’t have a hard time selling the 32 to 34 melding.
    People say the 32s are straight lines and 34s are angles and curves. I don’t get it and think I will barely ever be challenged out in the real world about its lineage once painted.
    I don’t see laying out the salt licks as a big deal, Steve has given me a really good starting point.
    I plan to paint them over the main body color. I may lightly wet sand them back through or they will at least be a color that seem to have some of the base color in there. Something of a salt mist, smoke, or dusting vibe. Not racing stripes or flames. But not like a realistic airbrush salt roost or stream either.

10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

There’s so many things that look wrong in a photo but are soooo right in person.

I used to give @flatout51 shit for his head light set up when his roadster has fenders, and then I saw it in person and thought to myself “oh, well yeah that’s perfect”

just one of those things

11. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

[​IMG]
    Well the different used pieces I got just didn’t jive with the new Bob Drake stuff I got. So out came the rattle can for most of it. Now it looks like I might as well just paint the escutcheons for the door handles too. I like their original color though as well. The 46 garnish moldings should be here tomorrow. If it looks like they’ll be the ticket they get a quick molasses job cause I was about to do the OG grill shell, the Arvin heater case, the lower body patch panel I let get crappy and a few other things.
    Just like when I committed to the blower I’ve gone and made a lot more work for myself. I got a spool off the classifieds. So now it seems I will get custom axle shafts when I change the ring and pinion. The ring and pinion won’t be the style that fit the banjo diff. I will use a 9” style axles and slap some machined down hubs on to hide them. Now I want a aluminum non-quick change center case I can polish. This is all for the future when the car actually works. None of it will be easy and oh boy would I love a old chrome torque tube!

12. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

[​IMG]
    @Stogy my push bar is much more petite and I will polish the stainless bar piece with the rest black.

“It’s not a classic car it’s a Hot Rod baby”

chryslerfan55, brEad, Tim and 2 others like this.
  13. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

That's nifty! But will it be strong enough to push on with all the holes in it?

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pushbar Noted (nice one)...:)...I did modify the exhaust and ran it along the frame, again just a Artistic impression on my part...I have followed the Thread and do search for elements you are using but miss the boat here and there...perhaps un-bobbing the frame would be a good idea as well as...

Like Dumprat I was looking at the Lightening Holes and wondering...I was thinking they were not pass through. Perhaps you are running welded tubes through those holes...would that make a difference...dunno...nobody ever said Hotrodding made things stronger and better...trial and error comes to mind...that's Traditional...​

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  15. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I don’t suspect I’ll ever need the push bar. It’s just for coolness. I worry mostly of it failing from someone with a phone in there face while driving. I’ve seen a lot of that this year and Ive barely been on the road much. I’m considering a period stop taillight to flip up in the back window when I drive it that I can knock down at shows and any photo shoots for Hop Up. I don’t trust anyone to see just the two 6v 34 lights down on the frame horns. The only other thing I can think of to wake people up in their Tesla would be Nitro flames out the exhaust?
    The spreader is thick, the holes don’t go through and I may put sleeves in there. The bracket I bet is stronger than the tube. Also I’m not gearing the car for 150 and so on. Even though I plan to take welding on the top very seriously it’s not like it will get a roll bar. That’s for my PU.
    Absolutely not Steve, the frame is getting bobbed 3”. Matt helped me work it out. I’m gonna notch the tank and sacrifice a couple gallons.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...All great ideas...I noted Curbspeeds pushbar is similar size wise to your spreader/pb...I went primitive with Go Fast first, Looks second...I will add that detail and take version 3 and chisel out a newer inspiration...

@Tim I took your que...thanks, I'd like to see an oil or whatever medium you used of the side profile...;)

I'm going to share a bare sedan with 13c only to give clear canvas for finding the Spirit of 46...

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    chryslerfan55, Tim and loudbang like this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HubbaAutumn46ElMirage_Base.jpg
    :rolleyes:...Ready for some wispy licks....

18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HubbaAutumn46ElMirageBVAV8er2.JPG

:rolleyes:...Latest Revamp of Hubba Inspirations...Modded from 3rd image in series of 4 above...this brings body color onto grille shell...Licks altered to another plausible period offering...

Credit to All That Inspired This

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

upload_2020-10-17_5-46-9.gif

:rolleyes:...The Good Ole Days...

Are An Inspiration...;)

Credit to All That Inspired This

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  20. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Thanks @Stogy you’re far kind to spend all this effort on helping me.
    I think this last one is a keeper! You’ve made the car appear going 150 standing still.
    [​IMG]
    I know the blurry wheels have something to do with it but still at least 130 standing still without that. I have often thought about adding just a hint darker tint to the color I’ve come up with. These recent renderings have made me want to only more explore that option. It seems meaner even if loosing a little racey-ness?
    I may need to print and frame this one though it’s simply awesome!
    [​IMG]

I’m trying to finish up and paint the seats before I loose the warm days we’ve had.

21. I think what helps in the look is the fact that the tan/off white "licks" are sprayed thin enough to see some green through.

ct1932ford, Tim, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  22. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I absolutely concur Ted.
    I’ve been still messing with some measurements today. I think I could get a spun aluminum tank in back that holds even 11gal. It’s not like I have a floor in back to work around yet. A hump or raised section would easily disappear under the passenger seat base. Then I could bob the frame further and put a louvered roll pan like I’d want.
    Although I’m pretty damn PC and believe in most of all that. I think of this build as a artistic period piece. I’m not against hand painting a small Tex Avery style wolf on the back panel though personally don’t hoot and holler at people. See how I kept gender neutral there? I don’t want to clutter the car up and some details are currently on the chopping block. It’s all a balance but I have a somewhat clear image I want to represent.
    [​IMG]

I got the 46 rear quarter garnish moldings. Really happy with the shapes. With a ton of cutting and bending I believe they’ll fit. I also think the a second set flipped around would fit the doors too. Can’t wait to see them in the metallic stainless of the dash. The little belt line on the bottom edge I may paint the Metallic green of the dash as well. It a show car after all
    [​IMG]

chryslerfan55, Tim, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  23. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I had wrote all this already once but here goes again.
    I seems that it’s time to sell my stock style 33-34 tank. Thanks to @Stogy I can’t stop seeing it as bobbed in the back. I know that the car keeps setting homogenized records but it has evolved much more in the direction of something I can be excited about. I sent the money off for this little monster this morning.
    No I will not paint it.
    [​IMG]
    I’ve done some rough calculations and it looks like from here to the Salt I’ll need to stop for refueling 10-12 times if I can squeak out 17-15mpg. Of course I have no accurate idea of the fuel consumption might be. Blown, full house Flatty, four carbs, 3spd, ? ring and pinion. At this rate you’ll soon see a quick change peaking out below the louvered roll pan I just have to make now.
    On a productive note I did get some stuff in a fresh batch of molasses yesterday. I removed the damaged felting that went on the 46 garnish moldings. I love the 1/8 stainless bead but I don’t think I’ll it will fit if I could replace them. I could have a hard time fitting them too if there’s new ones out there, chop and all.
    I broke one of my nos taillight lenses a over a year ago. It bummed me out bad and I only recently got back around to thinking about it. I decided a improvement was in order with all the changes going on out back. I found something else to try.
    [​IMG]
    34-35 Buick glass. I really like the extra detail piece in the center. They also had this style but they go for a small fortune.
    [​IMG]
    I’m not against trying to epoxy on some small stainless rings around the new ones center bump when they get here. Still going to use the mounts I made a long time ago. They still fit on the amount of frame Horn I will leave sticking out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Maybe it can get a little of the Chrysler vibe? Like so...
    [​IMG]
    I would like to leave the trim ring black still. But I might explore making a stainless stripes part out of some thin sheet.
    With so few original hot rod ideas on this ol’ gal she is becoming quite cliché.

24. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Geez I havnt been getting notifications and missed a bunch! I’ll try to catch up the next few days

Stogy, loudbang and Runnin shine like this.
  25. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

You haven’t missed jack. It’s not like I’ve finished the roof or whole body. That’s all everyone’s waiting for.

26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not me...quality takes time...aged to perfection...you Hambers are amazing...I really think the round tank with a potential Louvered apron sounds like a neat evolutionary direction...;)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    loudbang likes this.
  27. Just read through all 80 pages while at work, what an awesome build!
    Hoping to see what you do to the DIY Pines grill soon!

loudbang, Stogy and Runnin shine like this.
  28. Running Shine, have you seen what I done on my tail lights on the 3 window? If not let me know and I will pop you a photo.

29. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Absolutely Dennis, I almost know your car a swell as @big deuce . Great taillights, great headlight, great car.

[​IMG]
    @Stogy cleaned the back up a bit., much thanks. I think I can mess with horns to get the spreader up and closer. May need to revisit the tail light mounts.

30. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Less crayons more grinder! Lol

tb33anda3rd and kidcampbell71 like this.