Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods So what do you call it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porknbeaner, Oct 8, 2020.

1. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Hey beaner, did you come back on here just to rile up the troops?
    You know what they say don't you.............
    He who stirs the shit pot should be required to lick the spoon".:D

Blues4U and seb fontana like this.
  2. indyjps

indyjps

Shhh, sounds like a shine runner to me. Which could be any year.

Id call it a Hot Rod. Youre improving the performance, focusing on power, handling, braking instead of straight line.

Ive never worried too much about it, build them up and drive, if someone doesnt understand it..... "Oh its just an old car" "Yeah the engine does sound a little rough, doesnt idle too well - youre right, I should get that checked out, Thanks"

Never named a car either, we have had many cars in my family and always referred to them by year or model, the 65, the 409, the 63, the vette, the camaro, etc.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  3. goldmountain

goldmountain

4. upspirate

upspirate

In Street Rod terms, maybe the change to "fat fendered" style around '35-'36 and up to WWII?

5. Budget36

Budget36

I thought it was referring to fenders from a boat trailer. Your explanation makes better sense

upspirate likes this.
  6. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

A true hot rod has to have red wheels. Everyone knows that. Sheesh.:rolleyes:

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  7. sunbeam

sunbeam

So by the split window thing a 32 Ford is not a hot rod.

8. Labels, seems we always feel the need to label things/people.
    As for "Hot rod", as posted here there is no clear definite answer.
    If we all can agree on what isn't a "Hot Rod", we should be able to define what is one..scratch that, I can see that isn't going to work out either.
    Best to call your car whatever you want, as people will always call it what their "label" suits it best regardless.

9. IMHO,
    Per the spirit of the HAMB.
    I know it when I see it.
    First picture is a Hot Rod, '64 GTO gasser.
    Second picture "66 GTO I'm not sure what to call it but NOT a Hot Rod.
    NO disrespect to either car.
    002.jpg 1966-Pontiac-GTO-01.jpg

10. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

[​IMG]
    Battleground (1949)
    For the password, Van Johnson was asked ...
    What's a hotrod?
    His reply.....
    A souped up Jalopy.

Definition of jalopy
    : a dilapidated old vehicle (such as an automobile)
    A souped up Jalopy is good enough for me.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  11. In the 50's it was a Kemp. Our high school paper did a car article each issue called " Kemp of the campus". Rod or custom it was still a Kemp. JW

12. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

So dad was right!!! Souped up jalopy indeed.

F-ONE likes this.
  13. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

dana barlow likes this.
  14. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@porknbeaner
    I'll jump in here. I wonder the same thing, but mainly just about 1949 through 1954. Most of those still had some nice curves, just kinda stretched compared to the 1940s. They started getting pretty squarish and slab-sided after that, so it's a self-imposed cut off for me. I remember 1948 was considered by many to be the cut off year for "hot rods", and I could understand why. But I've seen some 1949 through 1954 cars I would call hot rods without hesitation.
    Stance is important. Especially with the later models, I'm more likely to think of a car as being a hot rod if it's got an aggressive stance. It's gotta look husky.
    But I think that both actual and perceived size and weight seem to be important, too. And usually, we'd think of a relatively smaller and lighter car... say a little business coupe. Maybe a hardtop.
    A 3000lb car can be made to go pretty good.
    But what about a bigger car?
    4000lbs looks and is bigger and so, inherently slower. Or let's say... not as fast.
    But a bigger car that's pretty fast, is a different animal and a unique experience and can be pretty cool.
    So can my 4000lb 1953 Chrysler 2-door hardtop Newport be a hot rod if I jack it up and put in a big block? No? Okay... a 4-speed. How about now? No? Okay... dual quads. How about now? No??? Drats!!!
    Alright then... how about...
    A supercharger! And a tilt front end! And a straight axle! And 4:56 gears!
    Maybe?
    Awwwww... C'MON!!!
    F*** you guys...
    Not you, beaner.
    :D

dana barlow likes this.
  15. atch

atch

What did John Force call his funny car after a run when talking to a sportscaster?

16. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think he called it his "hot rod".

17. wicarnut

wicarnut

Call it Whatever You Want, Your Thought, Your car, Your deal. Your question is like an Opinion Thread, many opinions from many "Experts" here, But it's alway fun read the "Opinions"

0NE BAD 51 MERC and Wanderlust like this.
  18. motorplex88

motorplex88

I'm guessing whoever wrote that article for the magazine back in the 70's didn't have a subject matter to turn into the editors. In order to draw a paycheck, he threw some shit at the wall to see if it would stick. And here we are.:D

19. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So did Rusty Wallace when he drove in NASCAR. He always called his a “hot rods”.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  20. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Imagine an old beat up tavern/cafe , where Henry Ford, Walter P. Chrysler, and Harley Earl were having a few cocktails and having this same debate, and Smokey Yunick is the bar tender and he is the authority to be consulted ! Junior Johnson is the bouncer, and on the jukebox, the tune " HOT ROD LINCOLN " is playing by Commander Cody and his lost planet airmen!

Thanks for posting Beaner!
    IMG035 4 (2).jpg IMG036 1 (2).jpg

wicarnut and winduptoy like this.
  21. Sculptive Design Co.

Sculptive Design Co.

Maybe I'm a old soul at 31, but I feel like really anything modified from stock is considered a hot rod (except import tuning)( I was in to late model Japanese cars late 70's-late 2000's)).

Let me clarify, in my mind, muscle cars where born out of a OEM market from Hot Rodders of that time. The OEM's saw a way to make a car to satisfied the needs of those group of people they could sell to. So muscle = factory hot rod. A lot of people say the 1957 Chrysler 300c Hemi, which makes since, some say the 1964 GTO.

I consider a "hot rod" to be a universal term for big/different engine in a small/different car. A traditional hot rod is a hot rod but specifically built like or of a era (30's, 40s, 50s, 60's, 70's). (Metal fab, welding, painting, sheetmetal fab, upholstery, mechanics, etc.) Shoot some could even argue if you TIG weld a chassis instead of gas weld/stick weld its not traditional. Now I'm rambling, lol.

Who knows, just one "young kid" thinking on the matter. It's good to put limits on things, helps keep the flame alive. All I know is this group (the HAMB & Hot Rodding) is great, glad to be here and talking about something to look forward to and fun.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    wicarnut and 0NE BAD 51 MERC like this.
  22. My dad used to say, "All hot rods are customs but not all customs are hot rods."

bowie, wicarnut and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  23. LOL I got a friend (actually several) that calls anything with 4 wheels and a body a cage. Truck would probably fall into that category.

To tell you the truth I really do like to hear what people think. Well people intelligent enough to carry on a conversation. Well that and I like a little humor and these kinds of posts always have some. ;)

Austin kays and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  24. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I think the perfect answer to the original question in this thread is the phrase used in a C&W song of about 25-30 years ago: "Here's a Quarter, call someone who cares":D

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    wicarnut likes this.
  25. Budget36

Budget36

So none really gave @porknbeaner the answer he was looking for?

In his words “hoopty”. Check spelling on that;)

26. I have a pretty clear recollection of when I was growing up in the 50s of calling everything "cars".
    And later on, when I was all growed up, I called 'em all "cars" again.
    It wasn't until I started partaking in internet sites like this one that I became indoctrinated to the different categories and pedigrees. I never lived in SoCal and so never saw a vintage, modified roadster on the street, until I was maybe 25 when one pulled in to our local car guy hangout. I did see "hot rods" in movies and TV (ie: the "Kookie car" on 77 Sunset Strip) so I knew that much. Ya know, stripped-down roadster, etc. But in the movies, they were definitely always associated with youth(s) in dungarees and white T-shirts. Not with old fat guys in bib overalls, bushy whiskers, and uni-braids. So you can see how it can be confusing when lines are drawn over here but not over there. o_O
    I just never had the opportunity to point and say, "Hey! Look! A hot rod!" The occasional Model A Ford that happened by would get pointed at with, "Hey! Look! An ol' timey car!"
    Things have kind of evolved into organizations similar to Civil War re-enactors where every detail has to follow a dated formula...... except you can have fiberglass cannons.
    I don't in any way mean for my comments to be negative. I love old rods, old iron, and guys who love them. Anything that promotes them is aces with me. If reserving a name for a very narrow category of vehicle is what it takes to help that cause, I may wonder WTH? But bottom line, I'm good with it.

dirty old man likes this.
  27. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hot rod is what happens right before it leaves or locks up. When was the last time you checked your oil?
    Anything can be hot rodded, well except maybe a dirty diaper...
    One of the moderators has a lawn mower in the hot rod category as I recall. You will know it when you see it and it doesn't have a split windshield.
    Just wait until the tuners of the day discover things like Juarez chrome and angel hair