Register now to get rid of these ads!

Well its all Gone to pot now....

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by KyMoonshine, Oct 6, 2020.

1. KyMoonshine

KyMoonshine

Hello, I am here to introduce myself proper. I am old and sometimes cranky and feeling the urge more each day to shake my fist at those youngins on my lawn.
    I have been building old air-cooled Volkswagens for decades and have had the urge for an old American sled for a few years, today a 1950 Plymouth popped up for sale an hour or so away and I called the guy and went to look at it, then I drove it home, the brakes only locked up once so it was a good drive :)
    The research I have managed to do today suggest it is a P19 Deluxe, I'm not sure what they call this model, Fastback? the guy called it a "Prowler" which I thought was just an old cop car name, he had the car for some time and was second owner, it has split manifold flathead six and 3.73 rear end and everything else is stock. I have already searched around here and found more information than anywhere else I looked. I am thankful for the wealth of experience and information a forum like this offers and hope I can contribute.

120607910_646016349635921_7140475394346151585_o.jpg 120575663_646015336302689_6013647112305238986_o.jpg 120636482_646015182969371_1055516604988978258_o.jpg

2. Welcome. Those Mayflowers make for some nice cruisers.........Don.

LAROKE likes this.
  3. Friend of mine owns this sweet '50 P 19.............credit to Scott: A2067A26-CCFD-47C0-914D-C7843B9012C9.jpeg 95D7B1B0-5C78-4166-A60C-5962E8B45869.jpeg

LAROKE likes this.
  4. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi & welcome. The P19 Deluxe was just called the 2 door sedan. I have a 1950 4 door Deluxe and it is a P20 or 4 door sedan. The P19 models were the 2 door sedan fastback, 3 passenger coupe and a Suburban which are shown in my Plymouth service manual.
    Parts are easily avalible and the only thing I have not been able to find as new are front brake drums. The 50's have 10" drims with 2 brake cylinders per wheel. Most earlier years had 11" brakes. I am going to include some web links below on my Plymouth sources.
    www.robertsmotor parts.
    www.Kanter.com
    Both of the above have web sales as well as paper catalogs.
    I have bought many parts from both and they are both reliable. Also just picked up 2 tail light housings on ebay.
    Home page of the Plymouth Owners Club Bulletin is a good technical source on their forum and their Plymouth Owners club has a magazine every other month. Also the AACA national antique (I think www.aaca.com ) car club covers all makes and one or the other likely has a chapter near you. I really enjoy the old car cruises and tours. Seems to be more of this with the AACA as compared to the POC likely because the AACA is a much larger group due to them accepting all makes and models.
    www.faxonautolit.com is a good source for manuals & such. They also list some items on ebay.
    If you are of the mind www.langdonsstovebolt.com lists some intake & carb upgrades as well as some cast iron headers HEI ignitions & such.
    Here is a photo of my 50 Deluxe.
    My avitar pick here is the engine in y 46 Chevy Coupe. J&J two.jpg
    Jimmie

Unique Rustorations likes this.

5. goldmountain

goldmountain

The fastback, coupe, and 2 door wagon have a shorter wheelbase than the sedans.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. KyMoonshine

KyMoonshine

What is a Mayflower? and thanks guys for the info and welcomes, the guy I purchased it from called me today to say he found a set of bumpers in wonderful shape, a service manual and some other stuff he had in storage and to come pick them up.I think I am going to love this old car

7. ...........Take a look at your hood ornament and probably your horn button. That's the Mayflower.:D OIP.jpg OIP (1).jpg download.jpg

8. KyMoonshine

KyMoonshine

Oh okay its a ship lol, I think it has one on the dash as well

Also did the spotlight come standard on these things? I was surprised to find out mine still worked

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  9. RMONTY

RMONTY

Cool ol' car! I like it! Congrats on the new addition to your family!

10. Even I know what the Mayflower is...and it is of no significance to me.:rolleyes:

11. Welcome to the hamb man, I'm central Kentucky also, what parts do you hail from?

12. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Not sure if spotlight is factory option but could have been a dealer add on or added later. They were real popular and common back then as street lighting and street signage left a lot to be desired. Good when looking for a house # in an unlighted area. Jimmie