Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects NOT THE TYPICAL '30 ROADSTER BUILD

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by roll of the dices, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Waiting on material to complete the turn signal switch....meanwhile, the Fuse panel is underway...

thumbnail_IMG_6572.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6573.jpg

2. That’s a very clean upgrade with the LED lights! I totally agree that you need the brightest lights you can get in these days of distracted drivers.

oliver westlund and loudbang like this.
  3. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Oh the wicked wiring !
    If any have access to scrap plexiglass or lexan they makes great mounting plates for the electrical stuff that needs to be bolted down... they don't ground out... easy to drill for mounting...
    you can make paper maps and tape them to the back side along the wire to contact rail and see them from the front...
    November's plastic political signs or phenolic works but you can't see through them...
    electrical supply stores sell these little steel / brass bridges that connect the pairs of screw in contacts on neutral blocks... one bridge makes one hot IN into 4 hot OUTs instead of just the pair...
    some have a flat male plug in as well as the 2 screws, 1 of those makes 5... buck apiece...
    px on old computer...

loudbang likes this.
  4. I've been slowly tackling the electrical.
    From learning and doing all the calculations, loads, fuse voltage drop, etc to learning how to properly crimp/solder terminals.
    Anyone attempting to do electrical should read this thread, https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/wiring-101.843579/
    Some great advice in there!

I might be running a bare bone system but it feels good to learn and know that it will work

thumbnail_image001.png thumbnail_image002.png

I am waiting for one more wire and the fuse panel will be done.
    I crimped every connection, added a drop of solder over the connection and heat shrink tube every wire to make sure if doesn't come undone.

thumbnail_IMG_6581.jpg

Once I get the panel done, I will be lacing the loom to give it an old school look....wax lacing cord ordered and on its way.
    Let's see if I can get it done....

5. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

neat job...
    Harley sells repop cloth tubes the wires run through...
    different sizes... I think they are all black...

6. Thank you for the tip. I will be using some of those through out the car, mostly for the exposed areas...

7. The asphalt loom arrived and was able to finish the turn signal switch, at least for now.
    Once I add in the rest of the wiring, then I will continue adding more loom and sealing it with friction tape

thumbnail_IMG_6596.jpg

A quick Before and After....
    thumbnail_IMG_6521.jpg
    Before

thumbnail_IMG_6597.jpg
    After

Fitting the dash light to make sure it works with '32 dash, the dash rail and make sure I add it to the harness
    thumbnail_IMG_6593.jpg

Picked up this fire extinguisher years ago to use it with my '51 Chevy truck but it never made it to the truck and then I sold the truck and it sat on a shelf collecting dust...
    It is charged/full....Not that I will ever use it but a cool piece to look at.

thumbnail_IMG_6512.jpg

So I had it polished and the bracket nickel plated. I am determine to mount it in the trunk of the roadster.
    thumbnail_IMG_6594.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6595.jpg

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Attention to detail is Applausable. Research into wire amp value was appreciated, hope everyone running wire looks carefully into this.
    Thanks for the great expose' !

sloppy jalopies and loudbang like this.
  9. Fuse panel and harness is done for now. I will continue adding the loom as I install it to ensure it is done correctly and at the right location.
    I will be moving to the dash next, to add the switches and other electrical parts.

thumbnail_IMG_6601 (1).jpg thumbnail_IMG_6600.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6599.jpg

10. Shadow Creek

Shadow Creek

I applaud how you have managed to keep up with this build thread and provide all of us with the fine details along the way. Keep up the good work

loudbang and 33Doll like this.
  11. 33Doll

33Doll

Wow!
    How do know what goes to what, and where? My brain hurts! Give me Metal and a welder, hammers, grinders, wiring...Swahili to me.
    And I took some electrical classes, at night school!
    Awesome Work!!

loudbang likes this.
  12. Got the PC680 on the mail and was able to finalize the battery box.
    Tight fit inside the box but it should be sealed towards the seat and open underneath to keep it cool and ventilated.
    Plan to get it recoated with Black powder coating, the grey I chose makes it look green....No bueno!
    thumbnail_IMG_6628.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_6627.jpg
    IMG_6630.png
    thumbnail_IMG_6629.jpg

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
  13. TigerFan

TigerFan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Athens, GA

This is a great build. Please keep it up.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  14. Thank you! Hope it helps others in their journey.

loudbang likes this.
  15. Thank you! Plenty of notes, diagrams and re-tracing my own steps...part of dealing with my ADD
    Electrical is almost done and I can now say that it was probably one of the hardest tasks and the one I was more hesitant to tackle but, so far, one of the most rewarding tasks I have completed.

brEad and loudbang like this.
  16. Locating and installing the battery cut off switch.
    Cover is made out of 2 pieces of 1/4" steel. Rounded on the bench grinder, and welded together, with blind bolts on the back.

thumbnail_IMG_6642.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6641.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6637.jpg

17. A few more baby steps...keeping the progress going.

Finalized the switches on the dash and start push button. I am trying to keep it as simple as possible....Just headlights, dash light and fog light.

thumbnail_IMG_6658.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_6659.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_6608.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_6663.jpg

Very happy with how clean the headlights came out after sandblasting. One small ding in one of the buckets and 2 tiny dings on the headlight rings. I like that these came with the tags on and original park light glasses.
    Headlight rings seem original too. I think the rings might be stainless steel but I could be wrong...
    Once I figure out how to remove the tiny dings from the rings I will send them to be polished or chrome plated
    Headlights are now fully rewired with cloth wiring and a 1157 bulb for turn and park lights.

thumbnail_IMG_6670.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_6671.jpg

The fog light is a small king bee light with a 12v yellow fog light in it.

thumbnail_IMG_6683.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6684.jpg

I am still not too sure about the headlight bulbs. It is one of those H4 bulbs units but the texture and look of the glass reminds me of an off road headlight...maybe it grows on me.
    I still need to add a '32 front license plate bracket to the spreader bar....damn California front plate law! Good thing I will be running YOM plates.

18. The Offenhauser beehive made it to the firewall.
    Still need to make some lines to feed it.

thumbnail_IMG_6719.jpg

19. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

like the running light...
    helped a buddy sell a '32 tudor… gave me a box of stuff... had this horn...
    gonna look great on my sportster...
    thanks for the pic...think I will mount it where your light is... go dice go !
    DSCN7088.JPG DSCN7090.JPG DSCN7089.JPG

oliver westlund, loudbang and brEad like this.
  20. That's a nice looking horn. Any idea what car it came from?
    I still haven't found one for my roadster, or a place to put one....maybe when the car swap meets open up again.
    I have vintage 12 volt siren that I am tempted to put on the back somewhere bolted to the frame and out of sight....it is loud...

21. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

I thought it was from a bike... vintage bike guy says if a Harley or Indian would have the name stamped into the flat washer on the back... he thinks it is a '20s mopar… cool by me...

oliver westlund, loudbang and RICH B like this.
  22. loudbang

loudbang

Be careful if you mount a siren it's illegal in most states except for emergency vehicles.

oliver westlund likes this.
  23. Still remember in olden times, when the parts store car alarms had sirens; we kinda "accidently" wired in a manual toggle switch. Made people jump more than the horn did.

24. Good point. California is no different but I can't remember the last time I used the horn in my car.

loudbang likes this.
  25. That is exactly what I was thinking when I though of the siren.
    A few years back, a neighbor of mine had a lifted diesel 4x4 with a train horn in it and it made people react quickly when he used it. :)

26. Finished my hoses. I used 1/4" push-on hoses an -4an ends. Looks good, in my opinion
    I had never done hoses like these before. Came to find out it was easier than what I thought

thumbnail_IMG_6725.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6724.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6727.jpg

27. I just found your build and have read over it from start to finish in the last 4 days. Excellent work.
    Almost every task you started you said, I have never attempted this, I'm over my head, I have no idea what I'm doing but EVERY job turned out top notch! As others have stated.
    I'm going to bring up something no one else has. I have taken several photography classes in both high school and college, so I fancy myself as more than an amateur photographer. All of your photos, of which there is many, have the correct lighting, nice focus and easy to see and identify. Not everyone grasps that. It appears to me, anything you set out to achieve, you put great effort into. Very nice job and excellent work!

28. Thank you for your feedback and kind words. I am glad you are enjoying it.
    I take a bigger tasks and try to brake it into smaller more manageable tasks. Completing the smaller tasks keep me moving forward and motivated to finish it
    All pictures are taken from my iPhone. :) Very glad to hear the pictures translate well the information.
    My goal is to hopefully leave a well documented build to help others with theirs.. Thank you again

brEad and loudbang like this.
  29. Battery box is back from powder again...Take two.
    This time on black....Much better than the dark grey that looked green

thumbnail_IMG_6728.jpg

30. Lady Luck is smiling...I found a canopy frame with a damaged leg on a back alley while taking a short cut to the freeway. I used every used blue tarp I had laying around in the garage and it was just enough to make a "new tent" for it. Couple of box fans and an HVAC filter...
    I am now ready to epoxy primer all the small pieces I have laying around in bare metal. Weather is changing quick, so timing is just right...
    thumbnail_IMG_6746.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6748.jpg