Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Russ Carley's 1957 Corvette

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Amy DeBrecht, Oct 5, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Amy DeBrecht

Amy DeBrecht

November 1967 Bailey Tech School St. Louis, MO

Attached Files:

2. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

3. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Amy you just can't drop a teaser like that without any more information, like who, what,when,where you know all those adverbs you learned in english class.

Pat

4. Terry Buffum

Terry Buffum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Oregon

Is this the Carley from Palo Alto, CA?

If so, I knew his parents, and when they saw my '62 Fuely, they mentioned that their son also had a "fast Corvette". I think he won, hands down!

loudbang and 1934coupe like this.

5. jimdillon

jimdillon

Car ran C/MP (and apparently D/MP) and it was out of Palo Alto. Dual quad 283 with a Muncie and an Olds rear. Not sure what he did with the Hemi. Are you related to Russ Carley, Amy?

chryslerfan55, loudbang and 1934coupe like this.
  6. moparboy440

moparboy440
    from Finland

A quick google search found this pic:[​IMG]

7. cfmvw

cfmvw

I'm intrigued! Would like to learn more about it... beautiful car, wondering where it is now.

8. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Don't you just love the smile on his face ?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. Matches the grille :D

10. Amy just joined up....give her a day or two for an introduction.

chryslerfan55 and Amy DeBrecht like this.
  11. Jim:
    According to her post in Corvette Gassers, her Dad, Dave DeBrecht, was a friend of Russ.

elgringo71 likes this.
  12. jimdillon

jimdillon

I saw that after I posted the above-I guess I have not followed the Corvette Gasser thread as well as I should have. I too was curious as to it's whereabouts and any other history. I wonder if it morphed into another drag car or met the untimely fate of being turned back to stock. There was a magazine article on the car back in the 60s and I made a note on it although I forget which magazine offhand. I have the magazine but my filing system leaves something to be desired.

chryslerfan55, Baron and 1934coupe like this.
  13. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I too have missed it Jim. I have "watch thread" clicked on but something is amiss. Anyway it all makes sense now I hope we hear more.

Pat

chryslerfan55 and Baron like this.
  14. Amy DeBrecht

Amy DeBrecht

Omg! I posted these pics for my dad who is tech deficient but loved dearly totally forgot to ever check back!

Attached Files:

15. Amy DeBrecht

Amy DeBrecht

Message from my dad Dave DeBrecht “I first met Russ in 1967 at Bailey Technical School and his 57 Chevrolet had just been stolen. Upon our class graduation Russ gave me his phone number and address in Palo Alto CA, and said give me a call if you ever get out this way. I signed up for Navel Air in 1968 and was shipped out to some strange place called Moffet Field near San Francisco Treasure Island. As soon as I landed I called to see where exactly Palo Alto was….30 minute drive made us close friends for the duration of my stay. We spent many of weekends together working on his Corvette and taking it to the track, his family took me in and gave me home cooked meals for free!! Spent 1yr CA, 6mo Japan, 3mo Nam and spent the rest of my tour back at Moffet Field. Russ sold me a ‘56 Chevrolet for $200 to drive back to St Louis, MO where I turned it into one fast hot rod! It was the only hot Chevy with CA plates, good for 10 mph at any drive-in or burger joint. I would love to know what ever happened to him, we learned a lot together, went to all the cool places from Half Moon Bay to Santa Cruz and his family was so kind! We had a great time together!

Attached Files:

16. Cool stuff Amy - thank you and your dad for sharing - someone might run across this thread and remember

Amy DeBrecht likes this.
  17. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

I had a friend whose older brother was in the "Coachmen" club, Tom Kenifick (sp.)

Amy DeBrecht and chryslerfan55 like this.