Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration I've thunk on it for 4 years! Time to do it.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stu D Baker, Sep 5, 2020.

1. grumpy65

grumpy65

Hey @Stu D Baker , looks good. :cool:

After reading this thread from start to finish, it would seem that I have identified a modern human trait.

"The tendency to immediately criticize is inversely proportional to the ability to imagine and visualize." :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

2. touring20

touring20

Back in the thirtys a lot of cars did not have high beams , so a clear passing
    Light was the way to go flick it , on blind every body ,and pass ! What can go wrong ?

Stu D Baker likes this.
  3. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Well, in post #77, I had the fabricated ring welded into the grille shell and was ready to fit the grille bars. After staring at it for a while, I thought that in addition to the fog lamp being recessed a bit, I needed a wider ring to facilitate welding the grille bars to. I won't go into the cut it out, fab a new ring deal, because it's the same process as before. Just me trying to get the project where I want it. I fabricated a new ring out of 1 1/2 " stock, and like that much better. Also, mounted the lamp assembly, and have room for adjustment and alignment.

After getting the ring squared up, I welded it into position.

Welded a bolt into the lamp housing. The holes I'm not using in the lamp will get welded up.

I'm liking that much better.

Setting on the car. I'm ready to position the grille bars. That will be my next adventure when I get a break. Thanks for looking.

47 ford, i.rant, VANDENPLAS and 11 others like this.
  4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Bad idea and looks worse.

5. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

It takes big balls to try something different. Sometimes the only thing holding us back is the negative comments we get from people . Kudos to you for doing it. Now it`s time to change your avatar.

6. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like this version better but I liked the first version as well. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

VANDENPLAS and Stu D Baker like this.
  7. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

@Stu D Baker Haters are gonna hate. Is it my thing, no but... its your thing and its your car. You had a vision and you went with it, good on you.

I like the way its moving forward and look forward to the finish product. Too bad on the damaged repop grill as I wouldn't have felt bad cutting that one up either.

Cliff Ramsdell

Desoto291Hemi and Stu D Baker like this.
  8. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Still can't see the pics.

9. ken bogren

ken bogren

Peanut 1959 can you see this one?
    stu-d-baker.JPG

10. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Quality work Stu. Never would have considered it but I like the look of it......as with these shoe boxes.

James Dean 4.JPG ebay147460740327678.jpg 1949-Ford-Club-Coupe.jpg 1950-Ford-Crestliner.jpg

With illuminated medallion.

wudz-up-restomod-ls-powered-nor-cal-1950-ford-woody-wagon-2018-08-30_22-31-04_948269 - Edited.png

11. It looks great!

my .02 cents would be to push the fog light ring in so it’s flush with the grill bars.
    Either way you do it, it looks like it belongs.
    From a WTF idea to something I think most will agree you pulled off with a great deal of style !

keep going.

12. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Yes, thank you so much! Looking good.

13. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

Man, this one makes me wish my '51 was a '49 or '50. NICE!

14. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I like the way the ring protrudes a bit. It makes the light look like it's supposed to be there and finished. If it was recessed I think it would look more like a hacked hole with a light stuck in it.

Stu D Baker likes this.
  15. 47 ford

47 ford

I really like the look

quick question/suggestion

Is there any way you could get rid of the ring to make it look like it is floating in the grill

Stu D Baker likes this.
  16. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

I suppose anything is possible, and that's a great idea. The center vertical of the grille gives the main structural support to the grille. Once that section is removed, the grille is kind of like a "wet noodle". Hence, the need for something rather strong to tie the grille back together. Additionally, the grille bars need support. There may be a way to trim the ring down on the outside to give that effect. Thanks for your input.

Sent from my SM-J737V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

47 ford likes this.
  17. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

ON the other hand. If all the bad drivers would quite wrecking their vehicles, you might not have so much "real" work and have time to work on your grill/light. Oh well, you couldn't rush Edison either. Bill

pprather and Stu D Baker like this.
  18. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

I'm back. I've had many good suggestions from the HAMB, along with a few naysayers (which is okay, because if everyone liked the same thing, it would be a dull world). Finally had some time this weekend to wrap up the fabrication portion of the grille. This project has evolved from a rather crude hole for the fog lamp, into a refined piece of work. As I moved through the process, I made changes that I felt were important to compliment the initial idea. Had to change direction on the ring size a couple of times, which in my opinion, resulted in too much material protruding from the grille. Again, after staring at the grille and reading some of the ideas, both posted and shared privately, I guess form followed function to the end result that I'm posting here. Sorry it's taken me so long to complete this modification, and thanks for looking.

Here's where we left off..

Each of the grille bars needed to be trimmed to fit the ring......

Wanting the lamp to appear more built in, I trimmed up the ring to be closer to the grille bars. Additionally, I wanted to fabricate a piece which I could weld to the ring, that would trim the area where the grille bars attached.
    I decided to use a strip of 18 gauge metal to fabricate the trim piece. It was cut from a flat piece of 18 gauge steel to fit the outer perimeter of the ring. Thin stock like that can be a challenge to fit properly, so it took several tries of fitting and a combination of shrinking and stretching to enable the piece to fit the ring perimeter and lay on the grille bar in a pleasing way.

Keep in mind that this is a strip of 18 gauge that is 5/16" wide. Pretty much a pain in the butt to get into position and fit properly.

After quite a bit of trimming, it wasn't looking too bad. So, a few tack welds to hold it into place, and stand back and look at it.

That looked pretty good to my eye, so I went ahead and welded it up (slowly, cause remember it's 18 gauge), and ground the weld smooth.

Well, there it is. Like it or hate it. Of course, I still need to finish it out and refinish in satin black, along with installing the stainless trim. I won't bore you with that process. I've got a new Walker radiator to install before I put the grille back in. As you've seen, I don't always have a lot of time to work on the 37, but I really enjoy it when I do find some time.

Thanks for looking, and maybe I've inspired someone to take a walk on the wild side once in a while. Stay safe.

19. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

It looks awesome! Great work. Custom touches that make it yours is the root of hot rodding!

Stu D Baker likes this.
  20. After seeing it finished, I can see why Old Man Ford never considered it. He was a cheap bastard, and preferred that his cars reflected his taste. Your set up is way too classy for him to have even considered offering it as an option. Nice job and great execution.

VANDENPLAS, Hnstray and Stu D Baker like this.
  21. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Hey, @Stu D Baker, how are you posting your photos? All I can see is the word "GALLERY". :(

Stu D Baker likes this.
  22. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Peanut.....
    Posting right off my album. I click the camera, and I'm able to put photos in my post. I know you had problems in the past, but I don't know how to help you.

23. ken bogren

ken bogren

Looks good to me.

Here ya go Peanut, can ya see this one?
    stu-d-baker-2.JPG

VANDENPLAS and Peanut 1959 like this.
  24. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Thanks Ken. Am I doing something wrong?

25. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Yep! Thanks much!

Stu D Baker likes this.
  26. ken bogren

ken bogren

I don't know why it works, all I do is save the image, resize it (make it smaller) and repost it. I was just guessing that the kb or pixel size size of the image might be a part of the issue.

Your image is: 3,124.95 KB (3,199,945 bytes) 3,072px × 2,304px (scaled to 833px × 625px)
    My copy is: 95.42 KB (97,713 bytes), 600px × 450px

Someone smarter than me might be able to tell why all that matters, if it does.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    Hnstray and Stu D Baker like this.
  27. I see the photos just fine using the browser on my phone to cruise the HAMB..
    Phil

kidcampbell71, i.rant and Hnstray like this.
  28. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@Stu D Baker

Bill,

An obsoletely brilliant idea to add that piece, forming a very nicely finished bezel. The cherry on top of the sundae! Kudos......

Ray

Stu D Baker and i.rant like this.
  29. 47 ford

47 ford

I really like it

Great work

Stu D Baker likes this.
  30. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

^^^^^^^^^^^Thanks for the compliment sir. It's kind of a fun project for me. Bad part is it's taking me longer to complete than I would prefer. Business before pleasure.

kidcampbell71 and 47 ford like this.