Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features What year Metropolitan?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sgtlethargic, Oct 3, 2020.

1. The ad says '59 or '60 AMC. Were the Hudsons the only ones with the hood scoop?

They're asking $750! No engine, transmission, suspension, etc. Bill of sale. Comes with the boat trailer (hilarious). I'm thinking $200 or $300.
    Metropolitan-1.jpg Metropolitan-2.jpg Metropolitan-3.jpg Metroplitan-unknown.jpg
    &&&&&&&
    In case you haven't seen this one:
    Custom Metropolitan.jpg

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
  2. Budget36

Budget36

No clue on the year but I dig the hood scoop!

3. SR100

SR100

If memory serves, by the time AMC added the opening trunk, Nash and Hudson were no more. The main line was the Rambler and the Metropolitan was its own brand.
    If the trailer has a title, you could modify it into a Met-sized car trailer...
    Price is definitely SWIPE: Seller's Wildest Imagination Plus Expenses.

chryslerfan55 and vtx1800 like this.
  4. belair

belair

The scoop is on the early cars,. I think the trunk was on later ones.

5. A trunk and hood scoop => later car with earlier hood?

I believe the hood is missing the grille for the scoop:
    Metro panel.jpg
    ----
    I'll try to check it out in-person. I was hoping it's a Hudson.

chryslerfan55 and R A Wrench like this.
  6. This might need its own thread. I wonder if this is new to the H.A.M.B.:
    Astra-Gnome custom 1956 Nash Metropolitan.jpg Astra-Gnome-rendering-left-rear-.jpg

chryslerfan55 and wicarnut like this.
  7. I'd rather have a roller.

8. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

Looks to me the hood was from an earlier Met. 1959 they added vent windows in doors, glove compartment door and trunk lid. But the hood was mid50’s Hudson only. Price seems high. Look for rust, usual places floors, unibody tin worms love British metal

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

62SY4 likes this.
  9. 62SY4

62SY4
    from Irwin, Pa

Agreed its a later car because of the trunk lid (hardest part to swap) doors hoods windows etc are easy. The vent windows and single piece rear window as well as the glovebox door and trunk lit pin it as a late 58 on. The hood scoops were used both on the nash and hudson cars until '56.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. brjnelson

brjnelson

Been there done that, Take my advise, scrape all the Met mechanical stuff and Fab a frame, put in a Fatman front crossmember(Brent has made a few, the met is very narrow) , and some other engine like a GM V6, S10 4cyl, ranger 2.3. You will end up with a much better car if you remove all the British you can.
    Look at my photo albums if you wat to see more of the car I built in 2000. I went the hard way and did most of the mech stuff all bolt on stuff, I would do it different if I was to do it again.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

dan c, exterminator, Ford52PU and 7 others like this.
  11. manyolcars

manyolcars

The transmissions never go bad and the engines are ok but puny. BRNelson has the right idea. Get rid of all the British electrics and go for more power

12. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

At least it’s a 2 door

Budget36 likes this.
  13. manyolcars

manyolcars

haha, All Metros are 2 dr but they were never used for traditional hotrods.
    It looks like anything goes on this "traditional" forum

14. badshifter

badshifter

Not so fast many...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=21286

7A9B8BE6-4332-4790-BCDE-342DF0F460A7.jpeg

15. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Looks like the crew is scaled accordingly.

16. Likely has a replacement hood. Every unrestored Met I ever saw had a crease across the cowl where the hood flew up under speed and dented it. The hood latch on Mets ALWAYS fatigued and broke. Always. Sometimes you could salvage the hood sometimes you had to replace it. I fully restored a '62 for my daughters to drive to high school but if I had to do it again I would replace all the running gear and especially the electrical system. Lucas electrics were just bad.

$750 would be ok for a complete fixer-upper but way too much for what is there. I agree $350 - $400 is more like it.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  17. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I would pay $750 for it.. I have been thinking of a small british car build for my next project.. If there is going to be a next project at 73, that is....

GordonC and kidcampbell71 like this.
  18. 5window

5window

These guys near me just do Metropolitans. Met them a while ago and they seemed nice. Their cars look good. I have no experience with them as a business, but if you need parts or help, they can probably supply it. https://www.shopmetropolitanparts.com/

19. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

This one is pretty cool. A friend of mine built it, with a early Chrysler Hemi. It ran at this years Glory Days Drag Meet. Kinda hard to read, but it's called the "Kelvinator Rocket".

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. And when I was into Mets I joined a Metro club (Metropolitan Club of North America). They have a very nice monthly booklet with build tips, and a great classified section. They have been going strong for at least 40 or so years that I know of. I highly recommend joining.

http://www.mocna.us/

Ford52PU, chryslerfan55 and 5window like this.
  21. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a good friend who has had about 15 of these cars and currently has 5 cars plus parts. Got the car below from him. In the queue and awaiting it's turn now. Supposed to be a 54 but the title says 56 so who knows? From what I was told if they sat at a dealership for a year or two they were then sold and titled as the year they were sold in. I was also told that hood with the scoop was a 54 and the way to tell a real early car was that there was 2 additional openings below the grill opening on the later cars which the early ones didn't have so it looks like the nose was swapped on the original posters car. Another tid bit. The doors are made so that they can be used on either side of the car. This one needs floors and some work but has potential. Got a 302/auto and a narrowed 9 inch so it is going to get an all new frame and maybe a straight axle with a little attitude.

20181010_123804.jpg 20181010_123755.jpg

22. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

scrap metal 48, GordonC and Budget36 like this.
  23. Magfiend

Magfiend

I like it - one day I want to build one like Jeem came up with...
    Metro Comp Coupe.jpg

24. This killer Met is being built by @mikeybrown1957. Although it's a current build, I'd say it checks all the trad boxes. The radiused rear wheel wells, nose up stance with a straight axle moved forward, and 55 Chevy front wheel openings make this car. It will run a hot small block.
    met.jpg
    met2.jpg

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
    Fitty Toomuch, Racer29 and Cosmo50 like this.
  25. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Saw pics of one several years ago with a blown BBC in it, rear rubber almost all the way across the rear of the car.

26. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

I believe the 1960-61 Mets had the opening trunk. Even though technically Mets lasted to the 1962 model year, they were left over 1961's. The 1957-62 Mets had the Austin A-55 Cambridge engine (1500CC). The 1954-56 had the Austin A-40 Somerset engine (1200cc). The 1954-56 models were either Nash or Hudson badged. 1957 up were AMC badged. I had a 1959 hardtop and took it up Pikes Peak Hill Climb in 1970. Ran great. Only bad thing was the non-synchro first gear. (It was really second gear of the MG 4 speed transmission and did not use the straight cut 1st gear, except for reverse) I was targeting a 225 Buick V6 to put into it. It could hit 100mph with the old 1500cc engine in it. Sold it before I could do the transplant. Later on, someone put the old California license plate onto another Met and must have exchanged the id plate. I would give $300 for it, and then build a new frame with modern day engine and power train. The English metal is real JUNK!