Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Corvette hot rods - picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KING CHASSIS, Jan 1, 2011.

1. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

If anyone is interested I started a thread on the 61. I added a little more history and more pictures. I’m not necessarily planning on doing a build thread. But I didn’t want to “bog” down this one with my stuff and plus there was some other guys that I wanted to show too.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. vetrod62

vetrod62

I will get the list to you one way or the other. I am not big into this computer crap. I just want to see these old vettes run like they all did in the 60s. Willing to help anyone wanting to race these cars. Jim

3. loudbang

loudbang

4. Deuces

Deuces

5. Norris McCarty

Norris McCarty
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 2 most absolutely beautiful car designs are the early 60s Vettes and the 40 Ford Coupe......they look great in almost all configurations!
    IMHO

31hotrodguy and loudbang like this.
  6. jimdillon

jimdillon

Had a great day as a spectator at the Nostalgia Drag race at Milan Dragway. Weather was perfect and they had a packed house in regards to car count (which in today's covid nightmare was good to see). They had many great cars including front engine dragsters and some old time funny cars, and every other style of cars. They had a midyear with a straight axle that ran great and the two highlights for me was Renfroe's Rattler II, which ran back in the late 60s and through 1978 I believe. The original owner was Lyndol Renfroe I believe and he and his brother raced the car back in the day. It is a 62 Vette and back in the day they ran a 288 small block with a manual trans and today they run a big inch small block but still have a clutch pedal with a Liberty trans. Car looks like a show car and leaves like a strong running Vette should. When he leaves it was a thing of beauty that I never get tired of seeing. He pulled the wheels and was headed a little towards the left wall but he did not lift and turned a 9.12. Kyle Refroe who drives the car says he runs right around 9.05. I have not watched this car run since the early 70s at Milan. I was with some buddies at the fence and when it went by me at speed I could read the writing on the side and the lettering told me it was the same car, only a different color. I could not get over to the car and talk to Kyle quickly enough-it was like seeing an old friend. Made my day. I have other old pictures but they have super tricks and don't want to upset the moderators. Hope they don't mind the picture from today. Like I told Kyle, not many of these original solid axle Vettes that ran back in the day are still running today.

The other Vette is not HAMB friendly but is a stunning 59ish Corvette funny car, called Urban Legend. The car is flawless and runs strong with a BBC (low 7s). The guys that I went with both said it was their favorite car there-cool car for sure. I spoke to the owner as well and bought one of his tee shirts. Great car to see in the pits and on the track. Something about the solid axle Vettes that really get my blood going.

Here is a picture from the late 60s I believe ( I will try and find out for sure from Kyle). No super tricks in this shot.

38-1.jpg

Here is a pic I took in the pits. Car looks as impressive in person. He told me he had to remove the dirt before his next run.
    9-26 20 004.jpg

Here is a picture of the run I referred to above. Sorry for the crappy quality but it is all I got. This was at the 330 ft mark after he had to gather it up a bit. Plus he took the win.
    9-26 20 007r1.jpg

7. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I really dig yellow 62 Corvettes !

Pat

8. vetrod62

vetrod62

Very cool Jim, I wish I could have been there to witness this. Jim

9. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

10. I really liked these wheels on the ole 57, they are for my 56 Bel Air, BUT i have 2 sets! would I be a big dork if I ran the same wheels on two cars? One set is being polished right now, maybe another finish on the second set? They are called CRAGAR SCREAMERS! as far as I can tell only made for 2-3 years in the early 70's.
    jfuy.png

11. jackal396

jackal396
    from oregon

Jim what a great paint job in the top picture.

jp

12. jimdillon

jimdillon

JP it was a great paint job. In 1964 my grandfather who was a car collector dating back to 1938 put me to work in his paint booth (I was 13 that summer in 64). I always appreciated nice paint jobs and the Renfroe Rattler II had really nice paint work. I later did custom paint work and remember spending hours on end doing tapework in between coats or colors and can appreciate the amount of work that went into that car. Seeing the car yesterday had an effect on me. Some may think I could use some couch time with the local shrink, but to me it is all good.

I read something recently and it may have been on the HAMB as to cars pulling the wheels more today on launch and the answers dealt with the prep and tires and power which are all true but Corvettes back then seemed to pull the wheels more frequently IMO. The better tire compounds in the mid 60s helped for sure but Corvettes seem to have a little bit of a natural setback and seem to transfer the power quite well due to the inherent design. Whatever the reason, when I watched Renfroe Rattler launch yesterday it brought back fond memories. The two guys with me also commented on the launch. Put a smile on my face for sure. No wonder I have an appreciation for these cars.

13. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Jim, maybe you would feel better about the experience if you sat down and perhaps wrote a book about it. :D

Waiting with anticipation for your literary masterpiece. I will take three copies (at least!)

Thanks for sharing the pics and story. Great stuff.

427 sleeper, 31hotrodguy and loudbang like this.
  14. jimdillon

jimdillon

Actually the publisher that reviewed the book thinks the topic (Solid axle Corvette drag cars) is too small of an audience to turn a profit-they had the manuscript for most of the summer and finally let me know their thoughts just recently. They believe if it was about the C1,C2 and C3 cars it may have a wider audience. Reality is other than Lingenfelter there were not many C3 headliners. There were C2 headliners we all know and a couple will make the book but I wanted to concentrate on what I seem to know best which is the C1 cars. Also they deserve some of their own ink IMO.

I have a second publisher I am going to submit it to but they want more than the manuscript-they want all of the photos with captions, which means more work right now. The first publisher wanted the manuscript which is 50,000 words and 20 some chapters. I have permission on maybe 250 pictures but the second publisher may not like the quality of some so I am still working on getting more photos with permission and labeling the pictures. I plan on getting serious on finishing up the photos end of the book shortly, but trying to get my work done around the house/ranch and some work done on my car projects so I can keep busy with that over the winter. I wish there was a way to clone myself but I will get it done. The manuscript was a big task and thank God that is done. I am reasonably happy with it but then again I may be biased. If I had to do it all over again I am not sure I would have even attempted to write the book. In the end it may be worth it. The nature of the topic is somewhat esoteric (understood/appreciated by a small group) anyways so the fact that the first publisher told me that is not earthshattering or changes my focus.

When you are a nut on this stuff you are a nut-no know cure that I am aware of.

15. loudbang

loudbang

Early Midengine prototype designed by Larry Shinoda and Ron Hill

hot15 Early Midengine prototype designed by Larry Shinoda and Ron Hill.jpg

16. peterlnic

peterlnic

17. jimdillon

jimdillon

Thought you guys may like to see a page of the modified eliminator entry list for the U.S. Nationals at Indy in 1974. You will note there are a few Vettes and also see Lyndol Renfroe entered Refroe's Rattler. By the way the modified eliminator crown went to another 62 Vette owned by Tim McDonald. Not HAMB friendly for pictures due to super trick wheels, but a great running 62-one of the best of the era. 74 US Indy 1 001.jpg

18. noboD

noboD

So Ken painted it?

loudbang likes this.
  19. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. loudbang

loudbang

21. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Adjustments.JPG Adjustments.JPG Adjustments.JPG Adjustments.JPG

Posted by Brigrat on another thread. I really dig the black top.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. Boodlum

Boodlum

[​IMG]
    Loudbang,
    This is a great action photograph. Good enough to feel a part of it.
    Car 13 has seen some action. Count the tech stickers on the roll bar.
    Wonder where photo was taken? Yokohama track signage is common internationally but background architecture looks Japanese.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  23. loudbang

loudbang

You seem to know these old vettes what is the black patch on the 13's grille used for?

24. Boodlum

Boodlum

I have no idea. First thought was an oil cooler but no. Maybe block-off for oil cooler/radiator on a cold day? Dead grass in background makes me think maybe.

25. elgringo71

elgringo71

26. elgringo71

elgringo71

27. elgringo71

elgringo71

28. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

29. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy