Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Midwest Forty Ford 80th Birthday Gathering - 9-26-2020

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bchrismer, May 16, 2020.

1. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Quick story about this '40 coupe. About a year ago, Mike Meeker sent me a text with some pics of it asking my opinion of what a reasonable offer would be for it. The owner had passed away and his daughter was going to sell it. Neat old survivor car still running a flathead and stock drivetrain.

A few weeks ago, while on a road trip with Meeker to pick up a Red Ram Hemi, he asked if I remembered the yellow '40 coupe that he had sent me pics of. He said that the daughter had decided to keep it and she had some local guys helping her get it road worthy. A few days later, I got an e-mail from her after I had closed registration asking if she could still join us. I replied that she should give me a call.

Within a few minutes, my phone rang and I got to visit with Penny. She told me about growing up with the coupe and riding on the running board up the driveway when her dad would get home in it. She also told me about driving it to high school with her best friend, and the more she thought about the car, the more she had to keep it because of all the great memories with it.

When she showed up on Saturday, before we did the cruise to Crane, she introduced me to her best friend who was riding shotgun with her for the day.

2. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I think hearing these kind of stories from people is the coolest thing that I am sorry I missed next to all of the 40's in one place. Thanks for sharing this and I can't thank you guys enough that are sharing all these pictures. There couldn't have been anyone that wanted to be there more than I did. Thanks Bret for putting this on.

The 39 guy and guthriesmith like this.
  3. Thanks for sharing the rest of that story Bret. Has to be the coolest story of the event at least that I have heard so far. So cool that she kept the car, came to the event, and even brought her best friend who rode shotgun years ago in that car.

40ragtopdown likes this.
  4. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Bret, I want to thank you for such a great weekend, just a perfect, laid-back time with like-minded hotrodders! I don't know how it could have been any better!

Also, Dennis Parks was not only taking pictures of everything in sight, but also meeting people, getting info on their cars ("what do you call this color?" etc) and pretty much not sitting still but constantly in motion. Fittingly, my photo of the photographer was the last photo I took at the gathering.
    DSC_0164.JPG

5. Very cool. I can't remember if Dennis is on the HAMB or not, but I shared the link to your post to him, Duncan. I've known Dennis for probably about 10 years now, but we have gotten to be buddies spending time with him riding shotgun with me on the SWMO and StL Hot Rod Hundreds. Lots of time to talk while riding down the road and while standing on the side of the road waiting for the cars to come by. I know of a few embarrassing stories he could tell on me from those times, too!

Depending on how Dennis feels his photos turned out, there could be a submission to a magazine that may or may not be represented in your photo. Of course it would have to be picked up by the editor as a cool enough event worthy of sharing in the magazine, but even if it is rejected, we know the story of the Midwest Forty Ford 80th Birthday Gathering. ;-)

Oh...and thanks for the comments about the event. It was a blast to put on. I wound up spending LOTS of time hanging out at the hotel Thursday, Friday, and Saturday that it made up for me being too busy to walk through the park and see all the cars. Thanks for the excellent pictures letting me see the cars that showed up!

guthriesmith, Tim and Kan Kustom like this.
  6. Who owns the green Tudor? My kind of '40. I like it best of all............!

7. If you are talking about the mostly stock green tudor with the American TTO's, that is Lyle @Crocodile, from up in northern Minnesota. He and his buddy Jon had a fun adventure to MO with it. It's pretty much bone stock, with an early 70's paint job. I got a text from him last evening saying that they were spending the night in Bloomington, MN before making making the last 300 mile trip home from there.

There's a GREAT story that goes with that '40 that hopefully we can get Lyle to share. While the '40 is way cool, Lyle and Jon are super fun to hang out with, too!

8. Bret,
    The Tudor I'm lusting after has painted wheels with '40 caps and rings with big WSW's and black on white plates. Maybe it's not green but looks dark green in the photos. Maybe it's a refection of the trees and grass making it look dark green. Awesome looking car!! Wish mine was that good...........

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  9. Well, crap. I can't remember his name. I think he was a day of registration, which I just exchanged money for tshirts. He is from Wichita and came over with Lonny Moore and his entourage.

Nitroholic likes this.
  10. Dennis D

Dennis D

So, what weekend are you having the 81st Birthday Bash on?

11. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

^^^^Yeah Bret, cause we'll be back:):D

Kan Kustom, neilswheels and Crocodile like this.
  12. Crocodile

Crocodile

I too, love the way that car looks. It is as straight and nice in person as it looks in the photos. And it is a very unique shade of green, as it looks very deep, but isn't all pearl or metallic. I am horrible with names, or I would help.

Nitroholic likes this.
  13. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Great shot of Gary Manley Duncan.

14. Crocodile

Crocodile

I and Jon had a great time at the 80th birthday show. We met a bunch of great folks, saw great cars, learned lots, and after the show, I was able to run a little bit of old Route 66 with it as an added bonus. Bret knocked it out of the park with this event. I will do my best to be back if it becomes an annual event!

15. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

T-riffic Bret! Wish I could have been there, maybe for the 85th. Thanks to all that posted photos.

16. Thanks again Brett, even though I could only come Friday I had a great time not only hanging out but getting to put some miles on the ol gal! If there is a 81st you can bet I’ll be there. I’m glad to see @Rusco made it down, Mike and Sandy are great people-shoot I don’t think I’ve met anyone who owns a 40 that’s anything but great. I guess in the bigger picture I should thank the H.A.M.B. for bringing us together! See you all soon

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. You guys don't realize how easy it is to twist my arm.

I've already have September 25, 2021 on the books with the City of Crane for the 2nd Annual Forty Ford Gathering. With the layout of the park, it kinda has two sections where we could have the '40s all in one area and the "non-40s" in the other area, just to keep the photo ops more focused on the 40s. ;-)

Now the challenge will be for B-Scott to see if he can outdo his artwork for the t-shirts next year. ;-)

18. I figured "Heck, if them Forties Limited guys can do an annual Forty Ford day out in California, why can't we do our own here in the Midwest?" Now I just am counting on you guys to help me make that happen by showing up. LOL

Plan on September 25, 2021. At least that is the day I told the City of Crane when I asked them to reserve the park for us.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  19. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

:D:) Got it on the calendar!!!!!!!!!!

neilswheels likes this.
  20. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

What a great bunch of 40's, I hope the powers at be get a handle on Corona, as I would love to make it to this next year, always liked the idea of visiting this part of the US, and now I have a reason to make the flights.

Weedburner 40, your delivery is spot on!

21. An event I would have loved to attend (logistics).
    Thanks for the great coverage/pics, for those of us who weren't there.

Kan Kustom likes this.
  22. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Thank you Neil. Hope you can make it next year.

guthriesmith and Kan Kustom like this.
  23. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

You are the man Bret ! The world just became a better place. Trying to make this first one did put a fire under my behind. I got the ripped off rear door hinges reworked and the doors hung ! Impatiently waiting. 20200731_142922.jpg

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    The 39 guy and bchrismer like this.
  24. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

On the calendar for next year,:D thanks to all who posted photos.

25. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Best news in a long time. Can't thank you enough Bret.

26. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I was hoping you could make it here also and then I couldn't make it this year. I think Bret woke a sleeping giant. I hope Crane survives the onslaught next year.

bchrismer and neilswheels like this.
  27. Totally excellent. Thank you for the pics and write up. :)

bchrismer and Kan Kustom like this.
  28. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

Thanks for all the great pictures. Hope to be there next year.

bchrismer and Kan Kustom like this.
  29. Thats great news to start the day with! See you then!

30. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Another shot of Gary. Enjoyed our conversation; he's knowledgeable about a lot of different subjects!
    DSC_0013.JPG