Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I'm off to find my '30 Roadster in the Basement.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by The37Kid, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Doug,

After teaching for almost 20 years, it continues to blow my mind, when I hear the inane concepts of how to teach and comments about how parents should raise their children that come out of teacher's mouths WHO HAVE NO CHILDREN!!!

Hmmm, did I say that out loud?

Atwater Mike, loudbang and The37Kid like this.
  2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Overcast low motivation day, off to the dump with a load of yard debris. Goal is to have another load of unwanted stuff for another load. Need to find more floor space in the basement & garage.

3. Bob, that sound more like a high motivation day.:) JW

loudbang and The37Kid like this.
  4. I decided I would change all the lights in my basement today. now that it is brightly lit, it is messier than I thought.

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Todays dump find, even has a switch! Use it or sell it for the '32 frame fund? DSCF9870.JPG

6. Sell it, Bob....it has wiring!!:eek::D JW

Tim, loudbang, kidcampbell71 and 3 others like this.
  7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Happy Labor Day 2020! Listing stuff I bought to flip yesterday. Not so little guy is helping. DSCF0043.JPG

8. Has Hank moved on from chewing things, Bob?:) JW

loudbang likes this.
  9. The37Kid

The37Kid

Still customizing reading glasses, got 4 days out of that pair. Thought of you yesterday when I got this road map.
    DSCF0066.JPG DSCF0048.JPG

10. You need to keep them out of reach from him. That map looks new. The price on it is 3 shillings (3/-) which is 30 cents and is before 1967, that's when we changed our currency. JW

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    bt34, loudbang and tb33anda3rd like this.
  11. The37Kid

The37Kid

DSCF0085.JPG

Stanley plane was a Monday morning dump find and a Tuesday eBay sale. Along with about 20 postage stamp sales and a $25.00 eBay gift certificate I now have 1932 Ford frame spreader bars on their way. Frame rail fund is still building. Bob

12. That's a nice plane, good score. JW

kidcampbell71, The37Kid and loudbang like this.
  13. The37Kid

The37Kid

The '32 frame spreader bars arrived yesterday. They will be for setup only, plan to attach a pipe in the center of both so the frame can fit between two engine stands and be turned for welding and paint work.

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

DSCF0376.JPG DSCF0377.JPG DSCF0378.JPG DSCF0379.JPG DSCF0380.JPG

That is how I'll pay for the 1932 frame rails! Estate sale two streets over, exactly a 1/2 mile drive, bought every book in the place. Two years ago they cleaned out a house just up the street, I knew the family all my life, nice people, wife was the last to go, made it into her nineties in good health till the end. When they were filling the dumpster at the end I asked for a few things in it, guy said sure, I said it was sad. His reply "Everybody's life ends up in a dumpster." will stick with me forever, sad but true. So today I went to an "estate sale" small ranch house, don't think the lawn was cut this year. Furniture along the walkway to the house, and some books. Picked up a real gem for two bucks, and asked if there were more in the house. They said yes and i could see a floor to ceiling collection to the left of the fireplace. I asked if they would make a Box Lot deal on every book in the house, they couldn't believe someone would buy them all. They were all excited that a roll off dumpster was due to be delivered in two hours. This was 9:30, I was off to the bank to drain my ATM debit card. Filled the Lincoln Town Car trunk and back seat TWICE.
    Owner made it to 97, lived 1/2 a mile away and I don't think I ever drove down the dead end street in my life. I don't think he had any family at the end, people running the sale couldn't empty the place quick enough. I worked moving the stuff 9:30 to 7:30, and gained a bit of knowledge about the owner. There is a Bible his church gave him when he left the choir to go in to WWII, stuff from YALE when he got home, two copies of a book he authored, and the two car loads of books he collected starting in the late 1930's. You never know what those handmade "Estate Sale" signs will do to you, a total stranger I never met will be funding my Roadster. Thank you!

15. Nice words, Bob and well done. Hope you get good coin for them and they live on. JW

kidcampbell71, loudbang and The37Kid like this.
  16. The37Kid

The37Kid

They are all arts and theater related, nothing I have any connection to, just a out right money maker. There are two family genealogy books that look very detailed, that seamed sad since there is no family member to pass them along to.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  17. I explain to my oldest daughter always .. .. it's amazing ANY family history survives at all.

We are one tornado, one fire, one flood .. or one crackhead relative from losing every ounce of family history obtained .. from a hundred years of family prior.

Sad end to likely an amazing person, & family history.

18. noboD

noboD

How about putting the family stuff in the public library so a lost relative can see it?

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice day today and I have the second car load to unload and go through. I listed about 12 books yesterday, this will go on into October I'm sure. Oldest book so far is 1790. Got the 7/16-14 tap & die so I can clean up the U bolts on the Hupmobile while looking at the Roadster pile. Life is good.

Bob

20. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

good haul, and I mean HAUL... good you made a place to store them with the sale of a former project...
    go bob go !
    local swap meet today, '46 and '47 car columns with wheels, horn rings, column drops with keys,
    [2] '30 cowls, plus some subfloor extensions, 2 early hubcaps, 2 '47ish hubcaps,
    a '47 and a smaller water heater, 2 aftermarket blinker switches, [4 and 7 wire].
    pitted model A front crossmember, rough '31 dash, '30-'31 filler panel... $140 total...
    maybe a Montreal steak for supper ?

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

DSCF0490.JPG
    I wouldn't call Hank a watch dog yet, just walked into the photo of the last part of the haul.

22. I hope Hank doesn't read books like he uses reading glasses! :eek::rolleyes: JW

loudbang, tb33anda3rd and The37Kid like this.
  23. The37Kid

The37Kid

Another great Tag Sale weekend to help fund the build! Three sisters, cleaning out stuff, one mentioned her husband had a '32 3Window, and some stuff was his. DSCF0761.JPG DSCF0919.JPG DSCF0948.JPG

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  24. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Wow. No sales like that around me. Great score.

loudbang likes this.
  25. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

is that a 20 mule team caravan lined up for the journey ?

loudbang and 48fordnut like this.
  26. The37Kid

The37Kid

Oldest Grandson wants to go into the Landscaping business at 8 years of age.

27. I like the Picnic set. JW

loudbang likes this.
  28. The37Kid

The37Kid

Yes! It turns out the picnic set belonged to the '32 3Window owner, and HAMB member BAD PENNY. Small world. Maybe time to update Hank's photo. Bob

DSCF0848.JPG

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  29. loudbang

loudbang

Jeeze he is getting so big next he will be chewing the glasses on your face. :eek:

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  30. Bob,
    I'm trying to figure out what that cast/wooden stand is in the left of your picture???

Looks like some kind of music stand (if it is, the band director in me is interested :D)

loudbang and The37Kid like this.