Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical anyone know what this front end is?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 46convert, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Volvo 140 is spot on. Here is a photo of a Volvo 140 upper control arm that I snagged off Ebay. If you go back to the OP's first picture that is what it is. The diagram should be the breakdown on the 140 front end. Volvo 140 upper control arm.jpg Volvo 140 suspension diagram.gif

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

3. No shit. In all fairness, Volvo stuff is really well designed. I just wouldn't try this in a 30s body. I once used a Volvo rear end in a HenryJ, nice little Dana setup.

4. I have to agree Tman,;) thin skinned.:p Three pages of IFS from a late model car.

5. Volvo 140 sheet metal would look good on there. Volvo panel truck, yeah.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    -Brent- likes this.
  6. fortynut

fortynut

It is an evil front end. Have a priest give it the last rites, or at least say a few words over it. Then put on a thick pair of gloves and roast where it is attached to the frame. When you have it out, immediately take it to where metal is recycled and put the money in the donations to the poor box at a church of your choice. You will then have a clear conscience and can put a nice spring and dropped axle where it contaminated that nice frame. Blessed be he who takes the 'traditional' path for his ride will be evermore cool.

7. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Damn near spit coffee on my screen.

Tman and warhorseracing like this.
  8. Andy

Andy

Yes, I miss the wild days.

Tman likes this.
  9. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Depends on if your on the giving or the receiving end .....

10. indyjps

indyjps

Change it out, looks pretty hacked up, I doubt vintage volvo service parts are easy to find or priced well.
    Regardless of what front end you use, choose one you can find parts for easily.

11. bchctybob

bchctybob

I like these “what is this....” threads even if it’s just something that they may or may not use. With all the experienced car folks on here someone almost always knows. That is actually a pretty nice IFS for a Tex Smith kind of application. It looks like it’s too wide for a ‘30s car though.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

craig b blue and 51504bat like this.
  12. Trying to solve mystery threads is fun. What is this? Why is this happening? Etc.

13. goldmountain

goldmountain

Actually Volvo parts are easy to find according to the Volvo guru across the back alley. You can get lots of new vintage parts directly from Sweden.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Is that the correct door? The body and door moldings seem at odds.

15. Fordors

Fordors

It’s correct. See the vertical reveal line right behind the door? It curves forward and flows into the upper reveal on the door belt line.

16. Please get back on the "Beam" axle.