Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

How have I managed to miss this? What an awesome build!

2. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

As we say all the way across the country from you " looks mint, wicked pissa"

Woogeroo, tb33anda3rd, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  3. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Enjoying your build, J.
    You're really moving along.
    Starting to look like a hot rod?
    Whadda ya mean? It IS a hot rod! :)
    I have to say, yours has to be one of the most unbridled and honest expressions of first-start happy I've seen. Made me smile big, too. Right there with you. Happy for you. So cool...

Outback, Stogy, J.Ukrop and 1 other person like this.
  5. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Playing this Saturday on the 4300 block of 25 st. About 1 pm

J.Ukrop likes this.
  6. Just found your thread, great project! Loved the video of your first start. Looking forward to seeing this one develop.

Stogy and J.Ukrop like this.
  7. I have a set of rears that I don't need, they are missing the park brake parts though.

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and J.Ukrop like this.
  8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have to start somewhere!

Stogy, kidcampbell71 and J.Ukrop like this.
  9. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

You’re right! It IS a hot rod! Thanks for the support—there are few things more exciting than bringing an old engine to life.

10. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I think I’m going to take both of you up on your generous offers!

So just like with the bikes, I know there’s a lot of two steps forward, one step back-type situations. Although the car ran well, the water pump was leaking like a sieve. After a great deal of research, I went with one of the newer leakless pumps. Seeing that I have a four-blade fan, I opted to remove the radiator.

[​IMG]

Out with the old. There was a lot of play on the shaft. I think I may rebuild it just for practice and to have an extra.

[​IMG]

11. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Front-to-back play, that is. I’ll be installing the new pump tomorrow if all goes to plan. Also, my floor arrived and I HAD to set it in there. It needs a little customization and some staining and it’ll be ready for action.

[​IMG]

12. Floor staining. Like a fine cabinet? Or 80 years of oil and grime?
    Phil

13. flyin flattie

flyin flattie
    from Redmond OR

Im diggin this little go job tune up job! I’d say living in SF and driving there in a roadster your gonna want more pistons pushing you up a hill at some point. I used to like about an hour out of SF and would drive my cars around there from time to time. Your gonna want some Power to keep up with the Prius and Tesla’s lol. Keep up the great work!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Rickybop, J.Ukrop and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. flyin flattie

flyin flattie
    from Redmond OR

15. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

TBD at this point. I'm going to do some Craigslist searching and see what I can pick up for cheap/free. I do have a rubber floor mat that will be covering it down the line. One thing's for sure—the oil and grime will show up regardless :D

Thanks! The plan is to drop in a flathead V8 when I get a little more established. Right now, resources are tight and space is tighter. I'm just enjoying the process.

16. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I'm in the middle of moving, but my goal is to be able to drive the car to the new place. It's only a mile away, but I didn't feel comfortable doing that with the leaky water pump. I have until the 10th of October to have not only the old spot cleared out, but also the roadster ready. As you guys know, I'm always working with deadlines.

This afternoon I was able to get the new water pump installed. One of the studs needed a little cleanup work, which gave me a great opportunity to use my era-correct tap and die set that I got at an estate sale in SoCal a little while back. With that all straightened out, I put everything back together and fired it up for the first time in a month. After a little fiddling, it fired right up. Best of all, the new water pump seemed to be working just fine.
    IMG_0482.jpg
    And the finished product...
    IMG_0485.jpg

17. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Next, I started making the template for the lower seat out of cardboard. IMG_0483.jpg IMG_0484.jpg It will be 3/4-inch marine-grade plywood stained to match the floor. It will bolt on to the seat pan and serve as the base for the seat. Grade 8 hardware will be used to secure it.

That's all for tonight. I gotta do some packing!

18. jim snow

jim snow

Cool set of taps and dies. Snowman

AHotRod, chryslerfan55, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm going to assume that "stained, means sealed. It looks like you are making some serious progress even when you are on a trip across the country.

Stogy and J.Ukrop like this.
  20. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you! Yep, that’s what I meant. I will stain it and seal it, after I paint my new bedroom

Outback, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I should be over to storage this weekend. I will dig them out. I can swing by @Pocket Nick's place and make the full-circle.

Outback, chryslerfan55, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  22. 13clicks

13clicks

you still wanting that intake and header setup I have waiting for you?

23. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Moving has been going smoothly, but it sure has taken up a lot of my roadster time. That being said, today was a red letter day.

Even though this is an early style build, I knew I wanted to run steelies from the start. After talking with @13clicks about what he did on his roadster to have steelies and mechanical brakes, he sold me the front adaptors he made. They should be showing up shortly.

Then there are the wheels. My friend Brandon Flanner of East Bay Speed & Custom hooked me up with a killer set of 16-inch ‘40 Ford steelies. They’re four inch fronts, 4.5-inch rears. I had a great time hanging out at the shop, catching up and learning the finer points of hot rod rolling stock. Later this week I’ll be buying my bias ply Firestone black walls. I can’t wait to get these on the car! Note the original pinstriping!
    Adjustments.JPG IMG_0548.JPG

24. A Boner

A Boner

Ebony penetrating stain.

25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Loving this

Runnin shine, Rickybop and J.Ukrop like this.
  26. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Side Note: Remember when I said I finished my Triumph project so I could finally build the roadster? I'm really excited to share that the bike is featured in the new issue of DicE Magazine. This is the motorcycle equivalent of having your car in Rodder's Journal. I couldn't be more thrilled! IMG_0568.jpg
    I'm trying to apply everything I learned to my latest four-wheeled project. Build thread to that machine on the Antiqued here

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  27. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Grade 8 hardware to secure plywood. :confused:

28. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

A bit of overkill for grade 8.

panhead_pete and J.Ukrop like this.
  29. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Hey, you guys know way better than me. I was under the impression that things like seats should be securely fastened. The seatbelts are connected to the seat frame via Grade 8, so I was just trying to follow suit. If this were your build, what would you use?

chryslerfan55 and 48fordnut like this.
  30. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

A collision would likely tear the wood before a bolt would break. You are right use what you think would be adequate. I would use large area washers around the bolt heads whatever grade you use.

Moondog13, nunattax, Outback and 7 others like this.