Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Mild custom '51 Pontiac Chieftain

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PhilA, Nov 4, 2019.

1. STOP!!! No seriously, stop, get it? Brakes? Stop?................ tough crowd :rolleyes::p

Woogeroo, loudbang and PhilA like this.
  2. Oh boy....

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang and PhilA like this.
  3. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

20200921_162820.jpg
    Ohhhhh yeah. That's awesome. What can a leaking wheel cylinder do for you today? It can turn your friction material into black goop.

20200921_182034.jpg
    Begone!

20200921_183811.jpg
    Back down on its wheels for tonight. Need to make up the hard line (which broke) for this side, then it's time to adjust.

Phil

4. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

Sure that isn't the rear axle seal that is leaking?

loudbang likes this.
  5. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Looks like it but that's from the cylinder, rear side barfed out when I took it apart.

I'm going to keep an eye on the pinion seal, but it's not moist from there.

Phil

loudbang and Cosmo49 like this.
  6. loudbang

loudbang

Found this one looking for customs to keep you inspired :rolleyes:

117 phil pont.jpg

y'sguy, i.rant, David Gersic and 8 others like this.
  7. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Ah yes. A very nicely done car. Very low though! From looking at it, I was considering side pipes for a while as an infill but decided against it because there's too many speed bumps around here for them to last any period of time without getting completely obliterated.

Phil

TrailerTrashToo and loudbang like this.
  8. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

20200922_111836.jpg
    Battery cable came in. That'll do nicely.

20200922_104946.jpg
    Bought a 15/16" wrench to do the brakes with.

Busy busy today.

Woogeroo, slv63, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  9. Great looking car. Is that an accessory front bumper or was it made up by the customizer?
    Looks cool.

loudbang likes this.
  10. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

20200922_180627.jpg
    Completed hard lines for the brakes. Adjusted rear shoes and e-brake.

Found out why the new brake hose seemed a little short- the lh side of the axle wasn't located on the centering peg and was only done up with 3 nuts, no lockwashers. Remedied that problem.

20200922_175256.jpg
    Battery now has a new home in the trunk.

20200922_160639.jpg
    ... Which has tidied the engine compartment up nicely.

Phil

11. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

If I'm not confusing myself with another build, that customization was all completed by the guy who owns it. The front bumper is his own creation.

Phil

loudbang, Surfcityrocker and brEad like this.
  12. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

20200923_094213.jpg
    Little bit of metalwork today. I was missing a spat bracket on the driver's side, and didn't fancy losing the spat while driving. Copied the passenger side one.

20200923_095426.jpg
    Screwed into place.

20200923_095458.jpg
    Spat then locates securely and locks up.

Another item off the list. It doesn't rattle when I shut the door now!

Phil

13. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

I hate brakes.

That is all.

Woogeroo, slv63, quick85 and 3 others like this.
  14. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Think I found the problem with the rear right brake- two times I remade the flare before replacing the fitting. Now it doesn't leak.
    I've got something resembling a brake pedal now, but my helper got bored when I was having trouble with the leaking line and went play with her friends (she's 11).

So, I called it for the afternoon; we are getting somewhere though. Front brakes didn't want to adjust, think they needed a stamp on the pedal to settle them out first, because they got immediately better once I had bled the front brakes.

Phil

quick85, loudbang and tubman like this.
  15. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Phil, have you tried "Speed-Bleeders"? They work well and you don't have to depend on the whims of an eleven year old to get your brakes bled.:)

By the time you're done, you'll have a new car!:D

16. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

I have got a MityVac vacuum bleeder, I used to have a Gunson Eezi-Bleed but it fell apart (the brake fluid did a number on the plastic over time).

The MityVac kinda works but is a pain. I ended up using it and now have good pedal. I need to do a final alignment adjustment on the front brakes but that's good for now.

Edit: And no, not new. Just receiving the maintenance it should have had but didn't.

Phil

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    loudbang likes this.
  17. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a "Mity-Vac" once. It was a piece of shit; a "gimmick". "Speed-Bleeders" are the real deal.

loudbang and Cosmo49 like this.
  18. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

I had actually bought it just as a vacuum pump to test some sensors on the OT; figured I'd give it a try. Worked well enough, got a good pedal.

Phil

loudbang likes this.
  19. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

So, tonight. Wipers working, screenwash working. Screen defog tube fixed like NASA (duct tape and improvisation), glove box fitted, light works, door latches and locks. Battery cable secured to frame. Front right brake adjusted and locked off. Grease points greased.

To do, tomorrow- adjust front left brake and lock down.
    Test drive.

Phil

20. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

20200924_112342.jpg
    One roadworthy Chieftain.

Phil

21. The trick for using a MitiVac is to put a couple of wraps of teflon tape on the bleeder screw threads (and only the threads). If you don't, it'll suck air in around them and you'll never be sure if you got all the air out and probably won't. Added bonus is the bleeders won't seize and break off if you come back later for any reason.

The tape converts the process from 'Geez, I thought this was supposed to be easy, what a PITA' to 'Why the hell didn't somebody tell me this before?'... :eek:

Learned this trick on a motorcycle. I spent about an hour trying to bleed a front brake. Kept getting air bubbles and just couldn't get a solid feel, probably used 1/2 a quart of fluid. Finally figured out it was sucking air around the bleeder screw, taped the bleeder and I was done 5 minutes later with a rock-hard feel.

You can have the same issue with Speed Bleeders (particularly if they're used), same solution.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  22. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

My main problem was it was drawing air between the tube and the bleed screw, the pipe is 1/4" and just a shade loose.

Phil

loudbang likes this.
  23. I've clamped the tube to the bleeder with some wire or clamp to eliminate that issue. Motorcycle fuel line clamps work good for this. As long as you have a air-tight seal, it works great.

loudbang and PhilA like this.
  24. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

20200924_180925.jpg
    Went to the little local drive-in, got a chocolate malt then hit up the donut shop for some donuts.

All in all a good day.

Phil

25. BJR

BJR

What did the police at the donut shop think of your car?:p

Woogeroo, Ford52PU and loudbang like this.
  26. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

They all went outside and took photos.

The manager them made fresh the donuts I had asked for because they didn't have any, which was good of him.

Phil

Ford52PU, loudbang and BJR like this.
  27. Cops think that Cheerios are actually donut seeds :D Sorry, part of the whole "fireman vs cops" thing ;) 31884396-whole-grain-cheerios-cereal-background.jpg

28. F-in hose dragger. :)

29. loudbang

loudbang

BOOOOOOOOO

serious.jpg

30. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Went out to the car at lunch. Now it's cold I had a chance to inspect a few things.

Oil is nasty, needs to be changed. Short runs up the street and idling in the garage has contaminated it as to be expected.

It's otherwise holding coolant, oil, atf.

Oil pressure warning light sender is DoA. Wiring is good (pull the wire off the sender, light goes out).

Fuel pump needs a rebuild.

Need to get a flywheel stone guard.

Going to do a coolant change this weekend, get some antifreeze in it. Got a couple bottles of concentrate and a bunch of gallon jugs of distilled water to go in.

Overall really quite happy, it covered nearly 100 miles yesterday with only a few hiccups (mostly cutting out due to having to sit in traffic and the fuel boiling in the pipe before the pump- could see it drawing bubbles into the bowl).

Needs a tune up, the timing is "kinda right", needs setting accurately.

Noted from driving, people say these are slow cars, but I find it can hustle along with traffic just fine.

Speedometer is a little optimistic, it reads about 5 over.

50mph cruise, all to temperature (it holds 180-185 nicely) oil pressure reads 20psi, drops to about 10 at idle.

Brakes are bedding in nicely.

Exhaust needs slight adjustment, it's knocking on the hole in the frame it goes through.

Higher ratio final drive would be a significant improvement.

Phil

Woogeroo, David Gersic, brEad and 4 others like this.