Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking to learn all I can!

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Shaw32, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Shaw32

Shaw32

Hi, my name is Bret Shaw, I live in Mississippi with my wife and four kids. My high school history teacher told me about this site a few years ago for the Friday art shows, and I’ve been hooked every since! I’m 29 years young and I wanna take on building this 50 ford custom I saved from the weeds. Thanks for this site and all the great information that comes with it. IMG_6565.JPG IMG_0293.JPG IMG_0295.JPG

Attached Files:

2. I dig the 53 ford sitting there. I'm a semi new guy here as well, but welcome! If you know where to look, there's a mind boggling amount of knowledge and info on here.

Sent from my SM-G975U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lothiandon1940 and Shaw32 like this.
  3. Shaw32

Shaw32

Thanks man. The 53 is my little cousins daily driver. We are also getting a 62 galaxie together, which is my youngest brothers first car. IMG_7242.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lothiandon1940 and Ferdyeight like this.
  4. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi & welcome. WOW, they are all nice. If there is no bottom end rust the 50 is a really great score but if there is rust it is fixable. Perhaps get it sanded again and put a good primer on it just to help prevent rust.
    With it sitting high on the front makes me think there is no engine in it now. What are your plans on that? It would be great with a flathead or for something else the then the early Olds V8's were used a lot in that time period and would be my first choice if you have to get an engine. Thos gold Olds engines really pop, both in looks and in power. I would suggest you keep everything period correct correct in your build such as NO Mustang or S10 front ends or late model engines. Back in the day those custom 50's ruled the magazine articles with either the flatheads or Olds engines.
    Good luck on the build, Jimmie
    Other than rust prevention do the safety stuff first - brakes & wiring & then whatever it takes to get it running and driving so you can use it while you finish the build. Start a build thread and keep us updated with photo's as work progresses

Shaw32 likes this.

5. Shaw32

Shaw32

The car has disc brakes already but other than that I plan to leave it as close to a period correct car as I can afford. I’m not sure on the engine yet, I have a friend with a mercury flathead that is more than likely gonna end up in it. For now the biggest thing is get the car in my garage and get the metal work done, but the plan is definitely to stay as close to correct as I can.

6. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

Welcome from Indiana! Looks like you will fit in fine here. Enjoy your H.A.M.B. time! Regards, Randy

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Shaw32 likes this.
  7. Shaw32 likes this.
  8. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi again. the Mercury flat head would really be period correct and you have many options on how to do the engine. If you have to purchase new flathead engine parts they expensive but really not much different for other older V8's.
    Jimmie

9. Shaw32

Shaw32

Yes sir I’ve been tryin to do a little research on it. The motor has a burnt valve is what I was told. I’m a little torn though because I really want something to make some power. The 53 in the pictures above has a built 347 and it’s so much fun to drive on those bias plys with manual steering and brakes, but on the other hand flatheads look and sound so good.