Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Pinstripers preference

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Sep 18, 2020.

1. I've been striping for about 20 years, nowhere near the best, but not that bad either, if you know what I mean lol. I don't stripe near as much as I used to, seems that it gets hot for a while, and then fades off for a couple of years. When i started it was all about Mack brushes, then at some point i decided to order me a set of Kafka brushes. Took some getting used to as the Kafka uses the tip more than the Mack sword stripers. What are you guys that pull lines using?

2. Sorry Lloyd, I guess not many are "pulling lines" anymore. An art form that will never go out of style for traditional rods and customs...

3. Yeah seems that way huh? Guess i can raise my prices then ;)

bchctybob and dana barlow like this.
  4. If you take a road trip up here I’ll pay you very little to do some striping. I will feed you well! Think about it....

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

alanp561 and scotty t like this.

5. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Here's a great Von Dutch video while we're waiting

6. Funny part is I've never charged a dime for striping a car. But you'd have to chip in on gas money brother lol

7. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve just started striping and lettering and have the Kafka brushes. I was thinking about getting a Mack or two to try, because I can’t seem to pull a very long line with the Kafkas and thought I may be able to load more paint in a Mack. I’m a beginner, so that’s probably more of a reflection on me than on the brushes.

Having a lot of fun though.

SlamIam, chryslerfan55 and alanp561 like this.
  8. I think i have more control with a mack. But they seem inconsistent to me. I have my favorite brushes, and some i just can't work with. Best advice i ever got was to stripe every day. Practice practice practice....

chryslerfan55 and quick85 like this.
  9. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Mack OO,Don't do much at all now,shakes are getting to me an it dose make me mad,I'm 78,so old age is making my lines in to barbwire.
    Loved doing from when I started in the mid 1950s.
    Biggest fun kick was my airbrush Wild Car T-shirts,but that seems to be gone gone.
    I did a few 10 years back for old friends.

10. The cheap part of me says no chance in hell, the fun part of me has a feeling we would have a blast.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  11. Bless your heart brother, would've loved to been on the scene back in the 50's and 60's. I've got a good supply of 00 Macks, and i kinda like the #2. I've took a few airbrush classes from Mickey Harris but i never done much with it other than shading and highlighting flames. Don't get much call for that work anymore either lol.

12. Oh I'm sure we would! That's the only aggravating part of the HAMB, everybody is so damn far away lmao!

chryslerfan55, Driver50x and 57 Fargo like this.
  13. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Macks, King13 series are my favorites.

Im a brush whore, I'll give any of them a try, but really feel the original Mack just has the feel and the ability i like.

14. billfunk29

billfunk29
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

15. I used a Walmart 1/2 soft brush on this but I bought both brands to learn.
    IMG_20200920_145849.jpg IMG_20200920_140722.jpg IMG_20200920_140741.jpg

chryslerfan55 and 56don like this.
  16. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Hell of an idea Billfunk! Those brushes are cheap (money wise) Wish my eyes were better I'd try it again. Lippy

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  17. It's hard to turn my back on a Mack brush, i get a smoother line with em, but yeah I'm the same way, I've spent a fortune on lettering quills just to throw them in the garbage lol. I sat and talked to some guys from Roth at the street rod nationals one year about brushes and one guy told me to try out the Kafka brushes, i like them but I'm slower with them than i am a Mack

18. Well, if you don't charge, come do my 56. I won't pay you either, or feed you, or buy your gas.....can't beat a deal like that now can you??:rolleyes:

19. Stooge

Stooge

I do more cartoon/ illustration line work stuff than striping, (though i do dabble), and use mostly pinstriping brushes. Aside from some blue wrap Macks, mainly the 000, my go to's are Von Dago lite sabers https://vondago.com/t/standard-scrolling-brushes that are meant for scrolling and some sets from Jeral Tidwell brushes along with his striping brush https://humantree.com/shop?category=Brushes . ive only ever heard good things about Todd Hanson's King 13 brushes and have been meaning to grab a couple, but i just havent, though they are also made by Mack

20. Uribe

Uribe

My favorite is the xcaliber brushes. Also like the blue wrap macks. Iv been wanting to try the king 13s.

21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use the professionals choice.
    upload_2020-9-21_14-10-56.png

22. I will say my Macks from the 80s are better than the new ones.

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not up on brushes but the stripers who show up and set up at the local "Big" event every year seem to stay busy all weekend and even after the show is pretty well over on Sundays most years.

24. Artworx

Artworx
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jer/Artworx, Turlock +I've been striping for 45 years or so. I've used Macks, Sharffs, Grumbacher and Von Dagos. Mack seems the longest lasting to me. Course but long and straight hair. I trim the ends. Sharffs are short and fine hair. They turn corners best. Macks do long lines, 'course I can't do the long lines well myself for the shaking. I break them up to the panels; 2.5-3 ft. long strokes. Here's some examples:

Attached Files:

25. Good looking work sir ;) i always cut the tip on my macks, and some I've cut the shoulder on the handle, but that never made me any better lol. I like the way the Kafka liner does curves, but it takes more control in my opinion. I have to slow down because I don't have a belly on the brush to guide me :rolleyes::D IMG_4747.JPG

Packrat and chryslerfan55 like this.
  26. Wouldn't bother me a bit! If you weren't in ALABAMA! :D Tell ya what, drive up here, I'll stripe your ride, and take ya out to eat ;) my dime :cool:

harpo1313, chryslerfan55 and 56don like this.
  27. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Would you guys mind taking/posting some pics on cutting/trimming brushes? Comparison style(orig vs now-cut-version)? & why they get cut to do just what? I've got 1 or 2 older macs, but had a hard time striping enamel(yup, wrong stuff... :D ) on a piece of glass, & gave it up. Would like to start again in the near future. Do have a few books, but...
    TIA. Marcus...

28. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lot of good comments-used to stripe quite a bit years ago. Always liked Macks. I have tried others and have maybe 25-30 brushes from years ago-Scroll brushes Grumbacker etc but still prefer Macks but I'm no pro. Still have maybe 20 cans of one shot too and packs of gold leaf from about 85 that I use a bit now and then. Did run some long lines and a bit of Gold leaf letters on a Chevelle race car for a friend a while back-used Macks.

29. Latigo

Latigo

I’ve played with Mac and Sharff brushes off and on for years. Just for fun on my own stuff. Recently picked up a couple of Kafka’s and love them. The Macs seem to hold more paint but the Kafka’s make the scroll work fun again.