Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1937 Dodge Ol Bessy is Coming Home....redux

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sharps40, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Sharps40

Sharps40

Dad,

Good test ride. Had to stop short on the first pull, secondary carb was coming in too soon and she went flat before picking up speed. Tweaked it and went out for a number of pulls starting variously from 20 mph to 40 mph.

Officially, the motor came to life! Lots of power in there and much of the vibration is gone now that the throttles are opening more fully.

Transmission kicks down properly for passing gear and later firmly shifts back to hi range.

Video below is the first pull from 20 mph. No where near as hard as the pulls that followed but you get the idea.

I made several other pulls, final one ended at 90 mph. She was still pulling hard at that speed and we were below 4000 rpm but I was running out of straight road!

Smile dad, Ol Bessy is now in the daily driving rotation. That Chevy Motor you always wanted for her is a great choice. It'll run rings around the flathead we had in her.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Sharps40

Sharps40

Played around with brake pedal pads yesterday. I think I'm going with the 2/3 pad for clearance. Messing with a heel pad for under the gas pedal now to get it more comfortable, the trans tunnel and recessed firewall take up all the room that was there for my feet.

20200828_115228.jpg 20200828_114429.jpg

3. Sharps40

Sharps40

Dad,
    Good vibrations, or lack of. Looks like all the drive shaft vibration is gone. Pinion is now 1 degree nose down with the new shims. Run her up past 60 mph/3000 rpm and smooth as silk.
    Now to aim headlights and do a final drop of the fuel tank to calibrate the sender.
    FB_IMG_1599164334548.jpg

abe lugo and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. Sharps40

Sharps40

Right now i can't think of a better way to exhibit "total involvement" with a car....

FB_IMG_1599234252368.jpg FB_IMG_1599234240953.jpg

Tim, abe lugo and chryslerfan55 like this.
  5. Sharps40

Sharps40

Headed to the woods to clear shooting stands. Chainsaw fits.

20200904_154220.jpg

abe lugo and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. Sharps40

Sharps40

Riding Buddies love their new car.

20200907_122559.jpg 20200907_122621.jpg 20200907_112512.jpg

Lepus, abe lugo and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. Sharps40

Sharps40

First bath since 1991. Lots of grit in the paint from all the work that had to be done post paint, and should have been accomplished while in primer. But, she's clean, has a quick coat of spit shine and a good winters project will be a complete polish by hand followed by a sealant. Gave her the gentle bath using the best home car wash concentrate I've always used. (1/3 to 1/2 cup baby shampoo, 2 heaping tablespoons of borax and a gallon of water. Mix the concentrate 1 to 2 cups per bucket of water for a gentle and thorough clean.)

FB_IMG_1599502873858.jpg FB_IMG_1599502865771.jpg FB_IMG_1599502856024.jpg FB_IMG_1599502845865.jpg

8. Sharps40

Sharps40

Fuel tank is in for the last time. Got the fuel sender clocked so float is centered in the tank left to right for least disturbance of the fuel gauge while driving. Also measured and set the proper depth and float arm length to get the gauge spot on. Here with power on the tank shows E when dry and 1/4 when 4 of the 16 gallon capacity is put in the tank. Success.....time to go get cigars!

FB_IMG_1599573200292.jpg FB_IMG_1599573188807.jpg

9. Sharps40

Sharps40

Dad,

Raining so a good day to work on your car. Productive day. Finished up all the brake adjustments. I think after yesterdays test rides and several "emergency" stops, that should be good to go. No leaks this morning so I count myself lucky.

Spent some time with the carburetors. I removed the secondary Rochester 2g. Throttle blades were sticking open. Once it was on the bench I could see that there is no light passing around the blades when fully closed, so, no vacuum leaks. After removing the accelerator pump push rod I could see there was no problem with the throttles, the sticking was internal and associated with a binding of the accelerator pump. So off came the top and I found the problem, seal had gotten cocked and was half on and half off the pump shaft. Got it all back together, after cleaning and blowing out the carbs, lots of fines in there even with dual filters. Gotta change oil this month so will probably do both fuel filters at the same time. Tank should be pretty clean by now, especially with having drained it last week to finish up tuning the fuel sending unit.

Spent the next 40 minutes at idle adjusting linkage, (finally got the primary throttle fully closed too) and fine tuning the idle mixture, set it for maximum vacuum/smoothest idle. She pulls 19.5 inches of mercury at idle. So, that part is perfect.

Rain should move out tonight so I guess tomorrow I'll load up a bag or two of corn, take her for a ride to check deer stands.

accel pump seal.jpg

10. Sharps40

Sharps40

Just finished about an hour and a half ride with GoodWife. Ol Bessy seems to be happy with the new larger brake master cylinder and brake adjustments. Starts easy and runs pretty smooth. I'll check plugs again later, think she's still a bit rich but that can be solved later. Tuning seems pretty good and the pinion angle is much happier. Lots of squeaks and stuff so still listening closely to the motor but over all, we are happy. GoodWife so relaxed on the ride that she took a nap!

11. Sharps40

Sharps40

It's his car. He's in it every chance he gets.

20200921_093416.jpg

12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looking good!

Sharps40 likes this.
  13. Sharps40

Sharps40

Dad,

Good progress tuning Ol Bessy. Still rich but not as bad. Motor is still in the break in stage so, not expecting miricaluous changes in mileage but at the 650 mile mark I recorded 7.5 miles per gallon. With more driving and some judicious tuning, this tank turned in 10.6 miles per gallon.

Its about time to change her oil as she has nearly 1000 miles on the new V8 and time to think about jetting the carbs smaller for crisper performance and better economy. (I suspect those big deuces on top are set up for a 300+ horse engine. With us pulling a mild 200 to 250 horses, we can make use of much less fuel flow.)

For now, looking good and its 2 days and a wake up to the commencement of deer hunting season. I'll be in the woods Oh Dark Thirty Saturday. Come on down soon, we'll have Ol Bessy take us to the woods to hunt.

14. Sharps40 likes this.
  15. Sharps40

Sharps40

He's nuts for this car like no other.

16. Sharps40

Sharps40

Cleaning up. Double date night. Ol Bessy is taking us to the open air concert at the Berry Patch, known world wide (well, in Montgomery County, NC anyway) as the home of the largest strawberry shaped building in the Universe. (It would seem for all the neglect and all the waiting to get back on the road, Ol Bessy hasn't lost the Old Dick Cunningham touch. Namely, get on the road, find the wierdest and oddest stuff, stop, watch, listen, eat, repeat......she and Dad were made for each other.)

Damn.....thats a big roof.

FB_IMG_1601578454645.jpg

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  17. Sharps40

Sharps40

I think shes ready for her first public appearance at the concert tonight. A real Cougar at 83 years young.

20201001_162245.jpg 20201001_161024.jpg

18. Sharps40

Sharps40

20201001_173518.jpg I gotta cut the ears off the diff. With the gals in back on those soft stock springs it bottoms out a lot. Just sayin....dont tell the gals!

Double datin.

19. I have a feeling that you just did.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Sharps40 likes this.
  20. Congratulations on finishing this build it’s been quite a journey watching the progress. Enjoy!

chryslerfan55 and Sharps40 like this.
  21. Sharps40

Sharps40

I suspect it's long from done, but at least it's easy tweaks now. Guess I should cut the ears off the 12 bolt so it dont bump the floor. Maybe Upholster it this winter

22. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

I would beef the springs up,when you remove the ears,it will only hit someplace else.Add another leaf or some helper springs.Car looks great,looks like your having fun with it,better get a trailer to haul the deer meat,be a shame to get it dirty:cool:. Harvey

23. Sharps40

Sharps40

It's on nos dodge springs and shackles and the 12 bolt punkin is bigger. Also needs bump stops as the shop lost them over the years. I'll get some measurements today and see where I'm at with it. Helpers may be needed as well.

We tarp the trunk for hauling! Easy clean up.

24. Sharps40

Sharps40

Dad,

A bunch of work going on with Ol Bessy, between hunting trips. All of the jobs can be broken down into hours so that I can keep driving her daily.

1. Cut the ears of the top of the 12 bolt differential. They were about 3/4 inch from the floor. I now have three inches clearance and have ordered axle snubbers 4 inches long to cut down to the right size. What ever size Ol Bessy tells me is right. In the long run, since the GM 12 bolt is larger than the original Dodge rear, I may have to either add helper springs, 500 lb capacity ought to do or better, cut out a section of the flat floor under the rear seat and add a new piece of metal that has a hump, to increase axle clearance and movement. A step at a time. No surgery untill i get the snubbers on and load it down again for a ride.

2. The tune increased mileage from 7ish mpg to about 11 or so mpg. Still running very rich, she is easy to start. Starts before the completion of the first rotation with no choke. Plugs are dark grey and fluffy black and the tail pipe is black, sooty. Acceleration is okay, I'd call it lazy though, very little snap. So, before I dive in and start jetting her down for better economy, figured I'd replace the very small and very restrictive air cleaners. This should help some with the rich fuel condition and let her breath easier. There are no oval or even round air cleaners for a dual duece set up, so I had to modify the base plate to fit. But looks decent and should allow up to a 6 inch tall air cleaner depending on how much air Ol Bessy wants. Still some refining to do and the base plate will need a new coat of paint, but she looks good and locks down nicely on the twin carbs.

3. Right front tire is dragging on the right front fender brace in a hard right going thru ruts/bumps and up into steep parking spaces. I measured, the arch of the fender on the right side is 3/4" lower than the left, frame is level though so, I'll have to loosen it up and get the fender brace moved out and up some to pick up the clearance needed at the arch for those turns.

4. I got the front kick panels sealed. Now the hot air off the engine doesn't blow into the cab. I think i'm going to get kydex (gun holster plastic) to make up the fire wall and kick panels, and door panels. I'll also use it for building new rear arm rests. Good stuff. Moldable, holds its shape and immune to moisture. Plus, it'll hold a staple/tack so it can be upholstered over. Once in, it should never warp on us.

FB_IMG_1602026375553.jpg FB_IMG_1602026339727.jpg

RICH B and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. Sharps40

Sharps40

Ok Dad,

Rear axle snubber are on. I think they will work fine. They are late model jeep snubbers trimmed to fit.

I also got the right front fender moved up and out for tire clearance, matching the driver side. Time to load up and go for a ride

26. Sharps40

Sharps40

Dad,

Looks like we licked a few issues yesterday and today.

With floor clearance and axle snubbers in place the back end dosn't bottom in the ruts and bumps that it used to. Front fender seems to be clear of the tire on turns. Next check will be to load up with 3 or 4 passengers and go for another ride. With luck maybe we can avoid modifying the floor or adding helper springs. I doubt the nos rear springs are strong enough for a big trailer but if we can load a small trailer and/or passengers or deer without bottoming I'll be happy. Of course, most of the nations roads are a lot smoother than the ones I test drive on around here!

As for the new air cleaner, what a huge positive difference. We'll still have to do some jetting of the carbs but its pretty obvious she's breathing better. The slight roll at hot idle is gone, pretty much a smooth steady idle now. Also, not near as lazy when accelerating and noticeably more responsive to the throttle pedal. A side benefit is its a damn site quieter now! For now I'll finish out this tank of gas and run a couple more and check plug colors before diving into jet changes. I think later this week I'll pull the air cleaner and paint it to match the body color.

Progress, progress. Every trip out gets her closer to reliable and daily driver status.

chryslerfan55 and RICH B like this.
  27. Sharps40

Sharps40

New air cleaner is better in blue and will go faster than a chrome or black one anyway.

20201009_135401.jpg 20201009_135353.jpg 20201009_135420.jpg

28. Sharps40

Sharps40

Dad,

I think the next week or so will see me getting back to some heavy work, suspension. I think the rear end still needs some tweaking of the pinion angle. Both the angle finder and the Tremec Corp application for pinion operating angles drives me crazy with no two similar trial measurements ever giving the same results. So, I'm tuning the operating angles by feel......when she stops vibrating I'll have it right. But with the trans tail down 3.7 degrees and the differential nose down 1 degree she runs smooth up to about 55 mph then some slight vibration. However, this is not likely the best pairing of angles as evidenced by some continued slight vibration approaching highway speeds. Overall, Its much better than it was and the speed range where vibration starts is now much higher but I am pretty sure the differential needs to nose up at least a couple of degrees on those rear springs. (I wish the shop wouldn't have set her up for drag racing with the perches welded on for a 5 degree nose down angle.......dead level would have been a better place to start.)

On the front end, its time to break loose the lower ball joints and rotate the springs a quarter turn into their higher riding position. It appears they have started to settle in nicely but shes a touch too low in the front now. At least by the gut definition.....e.g. my gut no longer fits under the front end! So, i'll get them rotated and see how the front end picks up so they can finish taking their set to final ride height. I'll try not to launch another spring across the garage when I do it!

29. Sharps40

Sharps40

Dad,

First highway run today. Made the run to Rockingham for gasoline, (this tank 11.23 mpg mostly on short hop drives). She ran 60 mph on the trip down, pretty smooth. 65 mph on the way back, slightly less smooth.

Notes for adjustments over the next few weeks:

1. Dual deuces are harder to keep in adjustment than a single 4 barrel carb. Especially the idle speed. Mostly it seems about getting and keeping both butterflies closed at idle the same way each time. Usually a goose will clear it up but I think we need to fix that issue and move on to jetting.

2. Let her sit more than five days and the modern half gas/half additives all evaporates out of the bowls and she is much harder to start.

3. I will need to raise the front end about 1 inch to be comfortable with tire to fender clearance. Springs have taken all their set now and we could use a small bit of extra clearance for these rough country roads and for when we have passengers aboard. A .5" isolator on top of the springs should give up to 1" of rise over all.

4. Rear pinion angle wants a bit more preload. I think i'll nose down about 1 degree more and see where that puts us. Based on the last test, Ol Bessy dosn't want any nose up at all on the pinion.

5. Those 1.75" wide NOS rear springs are soft, bumps the bump stops but not the floor now. Made for 87 horses. 220 horses likely twist them up a good bit. Still up in the air but might try some over leaf helpers in front of the rear axle to hold the pinion angle and firm up the ride a bit better.

6. She's fun to drive!

30. Sharps40

Sharps40

Dad.

Have a decision to make....dual deuces or one 4 barrel. Leaning to the 4 bbl for simplicity and reliability.

Checked jets today to start tuning and find new problems. Cant keep an accelerator pump seal working. Secondary seal was off shaft and balled up. Primary seal broke in two pieces. See photo.

Got her back together and now to decide. I have to replace the seals just to drive but may just swap carbs to edelbrock. Yours is 20 years without a hitch so.....

20201021_094053.jpg