Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anyone running porterbuilt rear drop member on 47-53 chev

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speedygonzalaz, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Speedygonzalaz

Speedygonzalaz

I need to get a 9” housing . Interested to know what width flange to flage folks are running. I want to run 10” meats on the back.

2. jaracer

jaracer

The guys at Dutchman told me to get the wheels and tires I wanted to run, set them under the car where I wanted them to end up, then measure between the inside wheel mounting flanges. I gave them that information and they narrowed my housing perfectly.

Johnny Gee, brigrat and X38 like this.
  3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’d make sure you could get them in/out without dropping the rear spring shackles unless you’re removing everything and going to links and coil overs.

4. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

This was my '46 coupe. It had a '55 Chev. rear end in it, stock width. I had 10" wide Halibrands
    that had 3 3/4" b.s. I could remove wheels and mags without issues. Used '55 leaf springs. 46 coupe 10.jpg

6sally6 likes this.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not sure how that equates.

Porterbuilt makes parts for trucks, and deeply lowered tucks, at that.

6. Speedygonzalaz

Speedygonzalaz

Thanks I was going to get a housing from speedway since it’s just slightly more $ than having my donor housing done locally.and it appears that it may be somewhat beefier than a stock housing.

7. I don't think you can fit 10 inch wide wheels on the back. Too tight width in the wheel well. I managed to squeeze 255/60R15 on my 52 GMC pickup, on an 8 inch wheel. About 1/4 inch clearance inside and outside of the tire. Very tight.
    Next rear tires will be 235s. My truck has Jaguar IRS.

Sent from dumb operator on a smart phone

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is not uncommon to mini-tub the bed sides on these. It gets you a little extra room, provided that you don't make contact with any suspension components.

As for narrowing, I would have a local shop do it.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020