Register now to get rid of these ads!

Magnesium Look?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tmacracin, Jan 16, 2009.

1. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I can imagine after Brian having the kind of month he's had he has been a little "cranky".

2. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I can imagine after the year the whole world is having we’re all a little “cranky”.
    I will add I imagine we come here to escape that even if just a little, I know I do. Just gotta remember to check your hat at the door.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

31hotrodguy and grumpy65 like this.
  3. It has nothing to do about me having a bad day. It surely isn't about what a guy can or cannot afford. It's more about the the direction our hobby is going. It's about not doing the work yet getting the reward. This whole hobby is going fake.
    Plastic bodies
    Fake generators
    Fake magnetos
    Fake oldsmobile valve covers
    Fake stack injectors
    Multi carb intakes with block off plates under some carbs
    The list goes on and on.
    Somehow the guy that worked hard saving his money and researching then searching for that hard to find part just got thrown into a group that feels they equaled the effort with a rattle can paint job.
    As far as my efi goes it's real. I dont try to hide it; fake it or paint it to look like something it is not. That's actually traditional hot rodding.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  4. Gotzy

Gotzy

Dude it is about what people can afford, your engine budget is a lot of folks entire car budget so chill out. If someone needs to fake something because they can't afford the look they want then that IS acceptable. I'm now going to follow the rule of "if you can't say something nice then....." Hopefully I won't be the only one..

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    grumpy65 and maneri like this.
  5. We will just have to agree to disagree.

kidcampbell71, Gotzy and Runnin shine like this.
  6. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don’t think guys today can tell fake from real. If it looks good on the car your driving or building I’m good with it.
    The real Magnesium wheels only belong on race cars not a 55 Chevrolet with an LS, AC, etc.

The only correct “period” is every 28 days.

Ned Ludd, Deuces, lippy and 3 others like this.
  8. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Hey guys, I was born in '48 and lived and hot rodded during what I call the "glory days" of
    rodding...dragstrips every weekend, street racing on Friday night at undisclosed locations,
    Beach Boys music, every year a new selection of factory muscle cars coming out, and cruising
    was just part of teenage life. So I had, and have, lots of the "real deals". To me it doesn't matter.
    I personally love to see a car that someone did in their carport or garage, it's not perfect,
    probably in primer, but was built with the heart and soul of the owner. I'm stuck in a '60's time
    warp, carburetor and naturally aspirated world. BUT, hot rodding is whatever your vision of it is. There
    are tons of cars out that there I can't afford, and that I wouldn't do, but there still part
    of hot rodding.

9. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ain’t nuthin like the real thang! D262DBE5-B337-4C52-A07F-C0E22A2EC26D.jpeg

10. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

Some of us work a lot of overtime to afford the fake thing.....

Gotzy, jimmy six, maneri and 5 others like this.
  11. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Brian. if they don't build it they will never know the enjoyment of pushing yourself to the limit and your equipment. I get it that a lot of people will never do what your doing. And thats fine. Your preaching to the people who have never been 200 with their hair on fire. I have a burnt fire suit to prove maybe our tune up was off or maybe I was stupid. Your on the wrong forum. It's a different world now. We are dinosaurs. Our cars are almost gone. But don't you listen to them, just feel proud that you tried to live your dream, Your doing fine. Buy that real stuff. Cause it's real not fake. Ok flame on guys. Anyone going to Tulsa? LOL

loudbang likes this.
  12. bobscogin

bobscogin

Most people I hear whining about a part or car being fake is the ones with parts and cars that aren't. "Elitist" who spend tons of money on authenticity don't like the attention stolen by a low budget car that pulls off the look without spending the money.

Bob

Gotzy, Deuces and RatPwrd like this.
  13. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

IMG_2143.JPG

There are many things that I see people do on H.A.M.B. era cars that just make me shake my head and ask why??? As to whether or not someone runs these wheels and paints them dark grey based upon their there spendable income an or lack of spendable income is not my biggest concern but even then I’m not going to judge to harshly on a part that is very rare and very very pricey.

Baron likes this.
  14. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

If you like it do it, as long as it doesn't endanger anyone else, and if anyone bitches just do what I intend to do when my current project is complete... a little sign with the following: "If there is something on this car that you think should be changed send a cheque to the following address..."!

hotrodtodd1960, Gotzy and jimmy six like this.
  15. PotvinV8

PotvinV8

What's the difference between painting a new wheel to make it look old versus polishing an old wheel to make it look new?

Gotzy, jimmy six and milwscruffy like this.
  16. Deuces

Deuces

A little Dow-7 should make those look good.....:rolleyes:

31hotrodguy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  17. grumpy65

grumpy65

EDIT: What I posted here was a bit of a whinge. Not really in the spirit of the HAMB.
    I have decided to remove it. There are a lot out there doing it a lot tougher than me. I stand by the part that we all get our own bit of happy out of rodding.

Have a great day. :)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  18. Wow, an 11 year old thread and it goes off the rails ! Magnesium like nickle, copper, brass, etc can be both a material and color. The OP was looking to do a color change and wanting to know how to do it, then years later, things get bat-shit crazy. Knock it down a notch and relax a little fellas, 2020 has been that kind of year.

Runnin shine, jimmy six and Deuces like this.
  19. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's the difference between getting hair implants and wearing a toupee;)

jimmy six, Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  20. grumpy65

grumpy65

Yeah, good advice.
    We also got a brand new grand-daughter 12 weeks ago (our first). Now that's cool. :cool::cool::cool:
    Gotta live for the good things.

21. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Congrats Grumpy65!!!!! Grandkids are great! Lippy

22. I was about to back you up until I saw the Willwood Disk brakes. 1977. Sorry, NOT period correct.

23. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah, well maybe it has spindle mounts up front.....:rolleyes:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  24. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

I actually found a few good deals online for real mags. Again if your able and the work is available you can just pick up a few extra shifts. Especially with the current job market!
    However; You can actually find them cheaper sometimes if you buy them individual and don’t mind 6 lug an or different diameter/widths on your car. So basically quite being cheap, quite being posers and for heavens sake stop trying to make your H.A.M.B. era cars look like old cars!!!! Adjustments.JPG Adjustments.JPG Adjustments.JPG

kidcampbell71 and Deuces like this.
  25. The disc brakes are not period correct but they are necessary on a car that goes almost 200 mph. Hurst airhardts wont fit.

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  26. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

27. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

This is one of the reasons why I started losing interest in “nostalgic drags” and pretty much stopped going out to the March Meet. As the cars started going faster (especially the fuel cars) they started looking less and less “nostalgic.” At least you’re car has nice wheels and some other details but most don’t. I understand the importance for safety requirements for the speeds guys are obtaining now but I (an I’m not alone) would rather see more period looking cars run even if they are slower. That’s probably why SEGA has gained so much popularity.

Gotzy and Nicholas Coe like this.
  28. EXACTLY! It's not about who's the fastest, it's who's more historical.

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  29. Wow those look great....what did ya spray em with hahaha