Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Towing while sharing the road with glass lickers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HemiRambler, Sep 17, 2020.

1. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

So a while back I saw a pic of a guy with a service truck that did a similar thing. For those who have towed and been annoyed with the inevitable tailgater - I found it was time to see if THIS really worked. I bolted this on the last time I towed the FED to the track and you know what??? YES - it absolutely WORKS. Just like a bug zapper! I give you the Tailgate Tormentor:

Attached Files:

Baron, brEad, Mat Thrasher and 51 others like this.
  2. Eeeeeeevil. I like it.

[​IMG]

3. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Don't be surprised if law enforcement pulls you over to check it out.

sawbuck, mgtstumpy and Thor1 like this.
  4. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll be trying a version of that....

5. Diabolically clever... I like it!

seb fontana, Thor1 and scotty t like this.
  6. 327Eric

327Eric

mount it on a bushing, so it can move with the bumps

brEad, 48fordnut, chiro and 12 others like this.
  7. Hate it when they follow me for mile or two or three.....I just slow down and slow down and slow down....most move by the time I drop below 30 mph on the freeway.

48fordnut, Driver50x, Baumi and 2 others like this.
  8. I just ignore them...

Elcohaulic and Thor1 like this.
  9. That's when you hit the "wrench release" button. ;) now every glass licker will be beside you, trying to get your attention to let you know you left a wrench laying on the trailer :p:D

10. RMONTY

RMONTY

Try washing those "pesky bugs" off your windshield when someone is tailgating you! It is a very legal, very innocent, very passive way of getting them to back off. It works well!

Think about it, don't you instinctively slow down when someone starts washing their windshield in front of you, especially if you are out of washer fluid!

48fordnut, Petejoe, 61Cruiser and 5 others like this.
  11. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Love it! I'm thinking something a bit more noticeable for the extra clueless, like a spare tire on a spring mount.

48fordnut, Driver50x, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  12. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

DeBoss garage over on Youtube has a short video along a similar trajectory, except he attaches an old work boot to the corner of his beater truck. It's tongue in cheek, but it works.:D

13. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

I'm going to get a rear tire cover like this for my RV.
    upload_2020-9-17_10-59-26.png

14. 34Larry

34Larry

I do the same as Stillrunners, but I have a question for you.
    How close is to close for you? I'm a real old guy who took drivers ed. in 1955 in a
    new 55 Chev, (neither here nor there), being told safe following was one car length
    for every ten mph. That's still my rule and that's how I follow to this day.
    Had a idiot follow me yesterday so close his headlights were not visible in my rear view.

48fordnut, seb fontana, Baumi and 2 others like this.
  15. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think the new advice is a 3 second distance behind the car in front of you instead of the old one car length per 10 MPH that they were still teaching when I took driver's ed in 1966. Either way there are way too many drivers who still drive so that you can see their nose hairs in your rear view mirror.

Thor1 likes this.
  16. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

very few people look for hazards up ahead, any person who was aware of road hazards would not be tailgating a trailer.

when I get tailgated I let off the gas and slow down since now I need space enough to stop two cars where before I only needed mine to stop.

brEad, Driver50x, Nostrebor and 3 others like this.
  17. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

4 sec(minimum) rule is better, esp if you are using a trailer. All the folks willing to cut you off & occupy the "cushion" make things a bit more difficult, but having a proper attitude/mindset keeps the ego, & subsequent blood-pressure + anger-issues, in check. Resulting in a less stressful ride, although sometimes, it does seem as if I'm going backwards... :D . Being able to watch all the zombies' antics, w/o getting involved in them, or angered by them, can be amusing. + make for some great tales. & if you have a dash-cam (maybe one covering the trailers' rear?), could very well provide hard evidence instead of "he said/she said". Think I gotta get the last 2 items myself. :) . & I *really* like the OP's idea. :D :D .
    Marcus...

Driver50x, Thor1 and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  18. Most drivers today have absolutely zero understanding of the physical size of their cars, especially the width of them. I've watched individuals in small imports make 3 or 4 attempts to park in the middle of a parking spot. Don't even get me started on people who don't realize they can fit between the car ahead of them and the curb when waiting to make a right hand turn at a light.

I expect someone being told to leave 6 car lengths when driving at 60 mph would have no clue as to the actual distance that is.

19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

20. hoggyrubber

hoggyrubber

Great idea! Glass lickers had me chuckling too.

Thor1 likes this.
  21. If they're on the phone, they might not notice the wrench.
    How about an old, beater toolbox (empty shell) surreptitiously bolted to the tailgate, but shim it so it tips and rocks a little. Maybe a drawer or two that slide open an inch or two with the rockin'.

I like the simplicity of the pipe wrench idea, though. I have a couple left from the old days when I used to have actual iron pipes.

22. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I am thinking about rigging up a little pump to squirt transmission fluid into one of my mufflers.. It creates a dark blue smoke..

23. Clever idea. As Loyd stated earlier, I wonder how many people pull up next to the driver to let him know about the wrench. Could be a good experiment on human behavior.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  24. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

that´s a great idea! I may have to borrow it. Accelerating and slowing down again in intervals also pisses tailgaters off. It kind of wakes them up I guess.

25. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, that would be my luck...and it's easier to try to kill me from the side, instead of the back.

brEad, seb fontana and wraymen like this.
  26. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I just spit my beer out my nose.....

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  27. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Back in the 60s, my dad and me were riding through the Liberty Tunnels in Pittsburgh, when this big bus started tailgating us, my dad laughing said, I'll take care of you, he flipped his three on the tree 54 Chevy into second, and pulled the choke half way out. Wow the blue smoke poured out of that Chevy six!!! That bus slowed down and was closing his windows while he was cussing like crazy. Me and my dad were laughing all the way home..

28. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

29. Wrench97

Wrench97

Drive a semi for a bit you'll get use to tailgaters, it's the ones that don't want to follow a truck and have to pass you then pull in front and slow down that get you po'd

30. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Additional options:

Attach the wrench to a 10' tether with an ejection pin for those whole fail to get the message.

Slather the wrench with dog shit to identify would be thieves.

tb33anda3rd and RMR&C like this.