Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '23 Model T Gow Job - AKA: Sand Creek Special

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by guitarguy, Sep 19, 2018.

1. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

@guitarguy that skeleton is beautiful, makes me think I should build a roadster rather than a C cab.

2. guitarguy

guitarguy

Yes it is, I hope I can make something similar for mine. That's how all the cars to 1925 were constructed, that obviously is for a roadster, the other iterations are similar.

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Here is a factory illustration. Bob DSCF0253.JPG

oliver westlund and winduptoy like this.
  4. RodStRace

RodStRace

Just a goofy thought, but can you do a bunch of paint sticks and bondo to get the basic curves of the inside of the sheetmetal?
    I realize the metal is flimsy, floppy, and 90 years old. You will want to match the patterns reasonably side-to-side, too.
    But just like cutting a few chunks of cardboard to make a pattern rather than trying to make it a single sheet from the start, it should get you pretty close.
    You could even cut them into 1X1 squares and fit them one at a time like a 3D printer - layer by layer.

5. guitarguy

guitarguy

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600.jpg I've never seen this style Model A rear motor mount before, but if you want them let me know. Bob

7. RAREBIKE

RAREBIKE
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have the blueprints for the 23-25 Roadster you can borrow if you want.
    Tim in Omaha

8. GuyW

GuyW

Post them here please!

9. guitarguy

guitarguy

Thank You. I may take you up on that. I wish I had access to copying those large prints. I am not sure if Leon Parkers wife is going to dig all the stuff up to pass it along for someone else to reprint those. I was very lucky to get the touring plans right before his health issues took his life.

Did some more work today. The mounts are finished...except I wont drill the mount holes to the frame until I have everything all set near final assembly.

Speedster Project 205.1.jpeg

Decided to bolt the clutch housing back up and bend some pedals to fit better.

Speedster project 200.1.jpg

So the clutch pedal needed some serious relocation to get full motion. I will have to chop the pedal arm short and reweld the pedal pad back on....the brake pedal is pulled all the way back in this pic for reference.

Speedster project 201.1.jpg

So then I decided to bolt the trans in...why not, haven't gone that far yet. Needed to find out how it all mocks up sooner or later. Also bolted the hand brake lever up. I know this was going to need a little work. But at least I know what I'm up against.

Speedster project 202.1.jpg

I think I am going to have to move the crossmember. Kinda sucks as I welded it in. But that was long before I ever thought I'd be doing all this.

Speedster project 203.1.jpg

It all clears, but I don't believe is be able to pull the trans back far enough for clutch servicing. One step forward, two steps back.

Speedster project 204.1.jpg

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    barrnone50 and flyin-t like this.
  10. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

@RAREBIKE please post those plans if you can.

11. guitarguy

guitarguy

He might not be able to, they are very large blueprint drawings, something in the range of 18" x 36".

Had I known Leon Parker's health would cut the sales of these plans short, I might have bought more. Such is the case with alot of these older T guys.

12. guitarguy

guitarguy

Thanks Bob. I do appreciate the offer very much. As you can see in my one pic above, I completed both mounts today.

13. RAREBIKE

RAREBIKE
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18 x 36 and 32 pages. I was going to have some made for the MTFCA guys in a few weeks.

guitarguy likes this.
  14. guitarguy

guitarguy

Wow. 32 pages. I think the touring plans are only 10 - 12 pages

15. RAREBIKE

RAREBIKE
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These are Leon's that he gave to me years ago they have all of the note pages with them that are often missing.

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

I think I am going to have to move the crossmember. Kinda sucks as I welded it in. But that was long before I ever thought I'd be doing all this.

Can you remove the remains of the running board bracket and turn it up side down and weld it back on?

Bob

17. guitarguy

guitarguy

If it just got moved back 4"or so, it would be fine. I'm probably going to have to cut it out (and not be able to reuse it) more than likely. I "think" I have another one I removed from a chassis. I will have to look. I want to have something in there irregardless to keep things kosher with the main rails.

18. cfmvw

cfmvw

Reading through this thread, I am amazed that most of this project is almost 100 years old! And to see someone putting it all together is impressive! I'm enjoying this project!

guitarguy likes this.
  19. guitarguy

guitarguy

My wallet is empty, but these little gems from Ross Pistons I hope will be worth it. Set up for 7.5 to 1 with the Model A crank and rods and Fronty head on the T engine block. Custom made, I have been waiting about 8 weeks for these.

Speedster project 206.1.jpg

Speedster project 207.1.jpg

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    rwrj, Vic Walter, Outback and 6 others like this.
  20. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Those are gorgeous

guitarguy likes this.
  21. guitarguy

guitarguy

Being on vacation this week, I feel I killed it pretty good. Torque tube is shortened, now a combination of T and A.

Speedster project 208.jpg

Painted the rest of the steering parts for the drag link. Using the T doodlebug as a paint drying rack and the outside sun as my makeshift oven....bake at least 4 hours :D.

Speedster project 209.1.jpg

Steering linkage done!

Speedster project 210.1.jpg

Gratuitous shot of what it will hopefully be, LOL

Speedster project 211.1.jpg

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  22. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Is that the cowl top you are planning on using?

23. guitarguy

guitarguy

No, It is just for mock up, same with the firewall. I have some very nice pieces I will be using on the actual body.

Leon Sandcastle and dumprat like this.
  24. guitarguy

guitarguy

Some minor updates. I'll probably be skipping around on some project areas. My wife says its my project A.D.D.

First up, starting on an oil pan for the stock crank block. The Fronty style pan will be heavily modified for the A crank engine.

So I cut the back of a pan off to get the main section.

Speedster project 216.1.jpg

Then started making a template for the rear of the pan and then out of some plate steel.

Speedster project 215.1.jpg

Speedster project 217.1.jpg

Speedster project 218.1.jpg

So this is about as far as I have gotten, but any progress is good.

Speedster project 219.1.jpg

Speedster project 220.1.jpg

Then I decided instead of keep talking that I am going to do it----I think alot of us are guilty of that, let me drag out this 26-7 rear I bought a few years back from the basement, and at least get it apart. Something that plagued me on this was there was a stuck hub still on one side.

I did not have the correct wire wheel hub puller, the wheel stud threads had disintegrated back to the earth, which prevented me from using my other style of hub puller, and then I read a thread on the MTFCA forum (stock T's) that said use a pitman arm puller and modify the legs. Well, I had a broken one, that appeared to have a forged body, so I had to weld up some material to grip properly. Also in the few years I had this, a friend had given me an Oxy / Acetylene torch setup----and we all know the power of a good fire wrench.

So I started to set it up, put some tension on the puller and began heating the hub to hopefully release the taper fit. As you can see, it's pretty crusty.

Speedster project 221.1.jpg

Speedster project 222.1.jpg

And there we go...... and an old bee's / wasps nest. Was hoping there would be at least one brake shoe in there.

Speedster project 223.1.jpg

I continued to use the fire wrench to heat other areas to remove other stuck items. This rear had been torched out of a vehicle, and then sat outside for a many number of years. At least the main housings are ok.

Speedster project 224.1.jpg

And I bought some new backing plates for it.

Speedster project 225.1.jpg

oliver westlund, brEad, rwrj and 2 others like this.
  25. guitarguy

guitarguy

Ughh, not alot of good parts at all. The housings are usable, I assume the differential will be too (they usually survive). But pretty much everything else is garbage. Not even a set of good inner axle bearings. I got the ring gear off, its about good for a doodlebug. My pinion gear I assumed was good from another drivetube is garbage also. Looks like I am almost starting from scratch----this is going to be expensive. Pretty big disappointment.

Speedster project 226.1.jpg

Speedster project 227.1.jpg

Outback likes this.
  26. Like your work, thanks also, I’ve never seen the inside of a T differential.

guitarguy and brEad like this.
  27. I had one for my project that had a dent in the tube, needless to say the axle shaft is stuck... luckily I have a few extras. It still sucks when you're trying to do some work and something throws a wrench in the plan... from the other work you've posted, it will become an outstanding piece!

Sent from my SM-N960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

I love this thing! That's the problem with these old things, some parts are great inside, others are toast...

29. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

You may be able to get new pin cage style bearings . If the built in races are damaged they can be sleeved with precision ground inner races.

30. The37Kid

The37Kid

download.jpg

I see bar stools...................

oliver westlund and brEad like this.