Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Do you trust ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 41rodderz, Sep 16, 2020.

1. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

When building our hot rods or race cars , wether mechanical or welding , I have often wondered how much thought/trust people put into when others had done previous or current work. I want every hambers , personal thoughts. I rather do my own , just so I know the how , when and why’s. The level of craftsmanship and the quality of the parts. What say you ?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. I don't believe anything I hear and only half of what I see.
    trust.jpg

3. Dangerousdan

Dangerousdan
    from Arizona

I suppose if I were able to do my own work? Then I would do it all. The craftsmanship to day is far above my level . There so much involved in building a Hot Rod or Custom. I always try to find a person to work on a project of mine, that has a good quality of work experience

4. When it comes to welding, most people are better than me so I am more likely to trust another builder if they have a reputation as a good welder. But body work....I have found way too much shitty body work to trust anyone else's work. I always strip away someone else's work and re-do it myself. Mechanical work? Eh, just about anyone can do that stuff.

5. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

The old saying if you want it done right do it your self. I do all my own because I want to learn. sometimes I have to redo it but I always get better at it, the second ,third or fourth time

6. jim snow

jim snow

Seeing someone else’s work I think can go a long way. If you’re satisfied with that. Have them do a small task for you.Then you can build trust from there on bigger stuff.jmho. Snowman

lothiandon1940, j-jock and 41rodderz like this.
  7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Dad’s favorite word is (solidify) so I always work on that theory. Related to mechanical work I want the best quality parts under my butt and I only want to do it once .

8. Trust the welding if I can see it. If I'm told the motor is rebuilt in the back of my mind I'm thinking it's a core. When I hear the bodywork is done and it's ready for paint I'm wondering what's under the primer and how many panels will need rework or replacement. On that note, I've noticed lately that some sellers like to put that sound deadening mat on the floors when there's still no carpet in the car which makes me wonder what things looked like before it was put in. (Just because the carpet ain't hanging out of the bottom of the car, it don't mean the floors were great).

9. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Watch some of @IronTrap's videos where they have rescued cars such as the 2 x32 5Ws Matt has bought in the last 12 months or so. Fortunaetly they end up in good hands but some very 'interesting' fab work from back in the day.

Im not a fab guy so all that work has been done by others for me. If its a car already built I really check it out, if its new stuff I really check the guy out. Often this work is safety critical so it needs to be done right (ie not by me :) )

10. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I am with you on every point.

11. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I would rather see a rusty shell than one in primer or all gussied up.

12. IMHO, everyone that likes old cars goes through several stages- first when young, all you can afford is cheap junk, and spend what you can as it goes, so you do most of your own work and learn as well. Later, as life lets you afford more, you buy better cars with more work done by others and hope for the best. Lastly, you become retired with more time and skills, and a lot of the thrill is just building it.

13. It seems that when I start to make someone else's work look just a little better I find out the worst. Bondo and screen or newspaper even cardboard jammed in a rust hole and slathered with bondo to the excess. Some have been real sculptures with the bondo. I end up cutting out the rust and welding in new metal with a skim coat of bondo if any at all. Total rewire on the cut it out and splice it here method and have discovered some real fire traps. Yea I prefer to depend on my own eyes, skills, and knowledge or find out how to do it.

chryslerfan55, alanp561, joel and 2 others like this.
  14. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When it comes to work I can't do myself, like structural welding and body work, I try to deal with people I know. If I can't I try to get referrals from people I trust.
    But it seems like it's really easy to get disappointed these days, there's a scammer on every corner

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. Dedsoto

Dedsoto
    from Australia
    1. Aussie HAMBers

I figure I can pay someone to screw it up, or invest that money in the required tools and equipment and screw it up myself. I try and always choose the latter, that way I've got the gear to do it again if I don't get it right.

16. Dangerousdan

Dangerousdan
    from Arizona

I have been told that if someone else can do it. So can you. I believe this. It can be very expensive

17. HuskerNation

HuskerNation

To me it’s always been about pride, I take pride in having done it all myself. In my mid 50’s I decided to finally embark on learning to build a street rod. Learning to weld, basic mechanics and even engine building are all areas I’ve dove into with both feet and done it all myself.
    I wouldn’t have it any other way!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

18. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I do everything.....but the body work and interiors, that shits magic

19. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Everyone started at the beginning, no matter what they do. I have always made the excuse I need a new tool(s). :D My wife knows when she hears a new noise on her daily , though I suspect she knows it may involve a trip for something new and shiny.

chryslerfan55 and j-jock like this.
  20. trollst

trollst

Been down both streets, seen a lot of shit done by "pro's", fixed a lot of shit done by "pro's", the only time I paid someone to do what I could have done I got ripped off, vowed never to let that happen again.
    I learned, bought tools, santa brought me tools, birthdays brought me tools and I learned to do it myself, discovered I was pretty good at it and have built many complete early square cars. My last one handled and drove like a race car, if there were a track close I'd have tried, if you want to learn car stuff you can, takes patience and dedication. My race car...... DSC07212.JPG

chryslerfan55, clem, alanp561 and 3 others like this.
  21. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

And it helps to have good friends you can ask for advice

22. bobscogin

bobscogin

Anyone who's capable of doing quality mechanical work should be able to evaluate the work done on a vehicle by a previous owner. Obviously, not everything is visible, such as proper weld joint prep, or the internal condition of a rebuilt engine. However, the quality of design and execution of systems such as braking, electrical, suspensions, and powertrain should be readily apparent, and a quality builder will correct sub-standard work done by others rather than trust it.
    Bob

23. squirrel

squirrel

Most often, I get vehicles that haven't had any substantial modifications...and I expect to have to overhaul every mechanical system. I do inspect for previous body damage, and depending on what the car is and what I plan to do with it, I expect to have to redo any previous repairs, unless it's a car that doesn't need to look good.

I just got a home build reconstruction, totally home made body and the frame welded together, but the car had been on the road for 40+ years, so apparently it's strong enough. Going through the mechanics on it is eye opening, though.

Tman, 41rodderz, joel and 1 other person like this.
  24. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know my limitations. Luckily I have people who I can rely on for the stuff I can't or shouldn't be doing. Just had a third member rebuilt with lower gears. Wouldn't consider trying to set the gears myself regardless of those who would say to just do it yourself. I chose to rely on recommendations from trusted contacts. I guess the proof will be how it performs but the car is a ways of running down the road.

chryslerfan55 and jim snow like this.
  25. I trust my work and the work of a couple close friends

nochop and 41rodderz like this.
  26. I learned very early that the way to avoid disappointment was to trust no one till they earned it. Might be cynical, but it's worked for me. That said, I did/do all my own work, but am lucky enough to have a trusted friend who can do what I can't or won't.

chryslerfan55 and 41rodderz like this.
  27. adam401

adam401

Its not a trust thing for me. I just rather have raw material or untouched cars. A clean slate. I mean I probably would be better off trusting someone elses work because all my cars end up being functional but jalopies.

28. Some of these remarks brings to mind a line in a song " takes one to know one". If the paint looks decent, who cares what is underneath.? Deal with it IF it becomes a problem. If that weld has held for years and many thousand miles, what more could I do? I hate doing work just to be doing.

Ben

29. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

That’s why I liked buying this one.

Attached Files:

30. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Lucky for me I live in Western Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh.. Lots of craftsmen here. I'm just a few miles from Beatty welding..... I do most of my mechanics. I also have an excellent machine shop, Bob and Mike do excellent work...